Ladies Only - Mastectomy

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Ladies Only - Mastectomy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
I was wondering if anyone here had stories about successfully returning to downhill, enduro, or otherwise aggressive trail riding after a mastectomy - single or double.

I am 38 and I was just diagnosed with DCIS (non-invasive breast cancer) for the second time right before Christmas. The first time was two years ago I had a lumpectomy and no radiation and healed up great. I was able to ride easy trails two days after the surgery and the scar was almost undetectable a few months later. I'm learning that I am not normal in that I have a much greater fear of doing unnecessary permanent damage to my body than I do of my potential invasive cancer risk. DCIS is a tricky subject because it's often treated like full-on cancer, so there isn't great research on how dangerous it really is.

Right now I would say that I'm being "strongly encouraged" by my doctors to have at least a single mastectomy based on my age and history. I'm still researching my options and going a bit stir crazy waiting on all of the appropriate consultations and tests, so that I can make a decision that I can feel good about.

I've talked to a couple of cycling acquaintances who have recently had double mastectomies, one with with reconstruction and one not. Both are too recent to be back on the bike yet, and both are more XC type riders.

Does anyone have any experience with what it takes to get your pectoral muscles back to shredable shape after a mastectomy, especially one with implant reconstruction?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015053
Mobile Version of Website