...does anyone make a 26 inch downhill frame these days?

PB Forum :: Downhill
...does anyone make a 26 inch downhill frame these days?
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
Let's go here; I'm 5'5 on a good day. I'm currently on a medium 2003 Kona Stinky Dee Lux. I want something with a little bit of a longer wheel base, but if not, I won't scream.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
Armalite wrote:
Let's go here; I'm 5'5 on a good day. I'm currently on a medium 2003 Kona Stinky Dee Lux. I want something with a little bit of a longer wheel base, but if not, I won't scream.

The stand over height on that bike is brutal. Have you ridden any newer geometry bikes?

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
mudjnky wrote:
Armalite wrote:

The stand over height on that bike is brutal. Have you ridden any newer geometry bikes?

Standover height?... My bike's a f*cking ladder, my dude haha

And yeah, I've ridden a Bronson and V10, Wilson and Demo. I would love something with a low standover, but 27.5 is just too big for me to handle.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
Armalite wrote:
mudjnky wrote:
Armalite wrote:

Standover height?... My bike's a f*cking ladder, my dude haha

And yeah, I've ridden a Bronson and V10, Wilson and Demo. I would love something with a low standover, but 27.5 is just too big for me to handle.

LMAO! It is!

What felt best to you? There are lots of great bikes out there. And everyone here has a favorite for any particular reason. We've had a Wilson, a Demo 8 and now the TR500. All great bikes, but the TR500 has been the best for just playful all around riding. I'm a numbers guy, the TR500 runs small compared to other bikes. The Medium isn't that much bigger than the XS Demo 8. The reach is actually the same on both bikes. Stand over on the Demo 8 is 28.2, 4" lower than yours. Not sure what it is on the TR500.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 5:35 Quote
I think I'll take a swing at a TR500, if I can find one to demo. The V10 felt the best, but the 27.5 killed it.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 6:40 Quote
demo a 3 year old bike?

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
Look at a canfield Jedi, I know you aren't after 27.5 but they have a very low standover. If not I bet you can find a lightly used 26"

also, they are on crazy close out now...

http://store.canfieldbrothers.com/frames/canfield-brothers-jedi.html

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
Nothing exactly stopping you from sticking 26ers on a frame you like. The size difference isn't big enough to f*ck anything up.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
dovbvsh66 wrote:
Nothing exactly stopping you from sticking 26ers on a frame you like. The size difference isn't big enough to f*ck anything up.

I've spoken to a few guys a local shops who seems to say otherwise, but I don't see what the problem would be.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 1:36 Quote
Armalite wrote:
dovbvsh66 wrote:

I've spoken to a few guys a local shops who seems to say otherwise, but I don't see what the problem would be.

Only possible problem is BB height and that you could, possibly, hit ground with your cranks during pedaling on rocky terrain, when suspension works.

Lacondeguy and half of all other riders on last years Rampage didn't seem to have any problems with running 26" wheels on 650b frames/forks.

Just check BB height in frame geo. There is about 15-19mm difference in wheels radius between 26 and 650b.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
nik40fox wrote:
Armalite wrote:
dovbvsh66 wrote:

Only possible problem is BB height and that you could, possibly, hit ground with your cranks during pedaling on rocky terrain, when suspension works.

Lacondeguy and half of all other riders on last years Rampage didn't seem to have any problems with running 26" wheels on 650b frames/forks.

Just check BB height in frame geo. There is about 15-19mm difference in wheels radius between 26 and 650b.

The bb height is exactly what I was worried about. I love the geometry on the new bikes, so it will definitely be something that's 27.5 with 26 on it.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
Just curious, what is it that you don't like about the 27.5?

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
mudjnky wrote:

The wheel size is just a hair to big for me to comfortably control in the air.

Posted: Jan 24, 2019 at 10:54 Quote
Armalite wrote:
mudjnky wrote:

The wheel size is just a hair to big for me to comfortably control in the air.

Makes sense, we had that problem like that when my son was smaller. He was jumping on a 18" BMX bike, moved up to a 20, and he couldn't throw it around. We ended up going back to a longer custom frame 18. The gyroscopic effect of wheels plays a major role in how a bike feels.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 6:01 Quote
Pre 2015 YT Tues was 26”.
2016 Propain Rage was available in 26”.
2014/15 NS Fuzz was 26”, the later frames seem to fit 26” wheels fine too, they have adjustable rear dropouts so you can shorten the chainstay.
Pre 2015 Specialized Demo 8 also 26”.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008623
Mobile Version of Website