Getting in XC biking

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
Long time lurker and now making the switch from road to MTB specifically XC style. Here in Minnesota we don't have much vertical so lots or roots and flowing trails. There are a couple bikes which I am interested in but also don't have a big budget sub $1500 is ideal.

What I would like - 29er, FS, lockout shock, sub 30lbs.

Im racing in leadville come august so im concerned about the wight, and ability to lock the shocks for the climbs. Below are 3 bikes which im leaning towards but open to all options.

Alum Camber
Trek Superfly Carbon
Cannondale scalpei

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
First, congrats and welcome to the club! Those choices and that price range would require something used: a challenging shopping task even for a seasoned rider. If new is a must and a good price desired, would you consider a capable hardtail?

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
For $1,500 you are definitely going to have to look at well used bikes if you want full suspension. For the money you will get better components and a lighter bike by going with a hardtail.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
don't rule out the Scott Spark

Has everything you are looking for and I had mine 26lbs and could have dropped another pound if needed. Look for a Scott Spark 910 from 2013-2016, you should be able to find one in your price range or close to it.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
Yes i am mainly looking at used bikes!

I have a local bike shop offering me an old demo 2017 camber 29 alum for $1200, looks to be the most basic camber with a 2x9. I figure it might be a hair above 30lbs but i could do a few things to help it drop. I'm fairly tempted to jump on this.

Ill check out the scott spark 910 as well.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
By racing In Leadville do you mean the Leadville 100?

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
For most the trails in minnesota I think a hardtail would be better, the only trails I know where you might want a full sus would be like Duluth or maybe some sections of Leb. If you really want the full sus, I would just go for the best deal or lightest. Its xc, bike madders less than other parts of mtb. Unless the dale has a lefty then dont get it. With 1500 just get a hardtail, better parts and way lighter.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
Yes the leadville 100.

I tried a hardtale a while ago and I got very fatigued after some miles, mainly in my back...not as young as i once was.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
slides wrote:
Yes the leadville 100.

I tried a hardtale a while ago and I got very fatigued after some miles, mainly in my back...not as young as i once was.

If you don’t have pretty extensive experience on a mtb I think it is likely you will still be in a lot of pain riding a full suspension in the Leadville.

Even if you ride a ton of road miles, the constant shifting of body posistion and jarring roots and rocks are going to beat you down if your body is not conditioned for it.

Also I find it unlikely a used 1500 dollar full suspension will be very good for that type of racing.

Not saying you can’t do the Leadville on a relatively cheap bike but without the proper training time on a mtb before the race or the proper gear your chances of finishing are small.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
I recently purchased a new Diamondback Carbon Comp from Jenson USA for $1375. As expected, it's fast, nimble and capable. I didn't expect such an improved ride quality compared to the aluminum and steel hardtails I've owned before. They also have a Pro version for around $1775.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 16:12 Quote
Not to be a dick or anything and maybe you're fitter and faster than all of us here chiming in but if I were you I'd be canceling that expensive Leadville trip in order to hike up the bike budget. If you're into racing Leadville (which is insane and i'm seriously stoked for you), that's a pretty serious race that requires a lot of training and attention just to be able to finish. For that level of commitment, wouldn't you want a seriously capable bike if you're going "all in"?

I'd save that entrance fee and travel costs, buy a better bike, and train my ass off for Leadville next year. Just an opinion.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
Giant Anthem, efficient fast and capable. you should find some used ones out there too. 'virtual pivot' type maestro suspension better than most imo (I love my Nomad too Wink

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 7:03 Quote
I use to do full distance ironman triathlons then got sick of running so now i'm specifically bike focused.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
Biking is way more fun for sure. Whatever you end up purchasing, enjoy! Nothing like mtbing

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
slides wrote:
I use to do full distance ironman triathlons then got sick of running so now i'm specifically bike focused.

Haha I was right, you definitely are more fit than basically all of us on the pinkbike forums.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027793
Mobile Version of Website