Help me pick my next DH bike...

PB Forum :: Downhill
Help me pick my next DH bike...
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
Hi - I'm looking for help in picking out my next DH bike. I'm currently on a 2015 specialized demo 8 w/ rockshox forks & coil shock.

Goal: Spend the least on an AL bike w/ the best suspension + best brakes.

WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Current top "lookers":
Commencal Furious Origin
Commencal Furious British Columbia Edition
Commencal SUPREME V4.2 650B
YT Tues AL

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
Let me put it this way.
That list isn´t very telling of your preferences at all besides you probably don´t wanna spend too much money on the bike.
The Tues for example does preserve its geometry extraordinarily well, which lends itself to a rather aggressive and active riding style and paired with the rather stiff frame makes for a very precise ride.
The Supreme (no first hand experience on that one and the Furious) is said to be much more forgiving and the suspension design does definitely feel very different than the Tues. You´ll feel the Supreme wallow more in it´s travel.
While the Supreme will most likely soak up everything, the YT has rather spikey suspension characteristics which when paired with the stout frame makes for a rather rough ride on anything but smooth flow trails.
In short, the YT will be more precise but also more exhausting to ride, while the commencal will carry more speed, be easier on the body and forgive more mistakes.

Now the Furious imho is something to just play around on. What i can gather from reviews it´s just what they tell you. A playbike. Fun everywhere, but probably needs a pilot willing to hang on when pushing it on any terrain, especially on rougher tracks.

Personally i like the TUES´ handling a lot, but due to my problems with hand fatigue/pain i notice its rough nature every time i hop on one. It´s a rewarding but also very demanding bike imho. If that´s your thing, go for it.
I´d personally go for the Supreme as i really like the high pivot feel and that bike is simply gorgeous.
The Furious i´d call a "set and forget bike". Probably best for people who don´t care about speed, line choice or anything like that, but who demand a bike that´s just "chill" to ride.

Parts are of course also important.
If Tues, i´d get the cheapest AL model with the RS suspension and upgrade the fork with a new cartridge.
I´m not a fan of Fox Performance products, as they are not neraly as good as the Factory options, but then again there´s the Vorsprung Fractive tuning for the 40 and the X2 and DHX2 can be upgraded to factory settings by simply purchasing the adjuster/port assembly from Fox. So maybe factor this into your calculations as well.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
I'm seeing a pattern there.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 23:48 Quote
I got a stock 2018 kona operator it rides amazing.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 3:49 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Let me put it this way.
That list isn´t very telling of your preferences at all besides you probably don´t wanna spend too much money on the bike.
The Tues for example does preserve its geometry extraordinarily well, which lends itself to a rather aggressive and active riding style and paired with the rather stiff frame makes for a very precise ride.
The Supreme (no first hand experience on that one and the Furious) is said to be much more forgiving and the suspension design does definitely feel very different than the Tues. You´ll feel the Supreme wallow more in it´s travel.
While the Supreme will most likely soak up everything, the YT has rather spikey suspension characteristics which when paired with the stout frame makes for a rather rough ride on anything but smooth flow trails.
In short, the YT will be more precise but also more exhausting to ride, while the commencal will carry more speed, be easier on the body and forgive more mistakes.

Now the Furious imho is something to just play around on. What i can gather from reviews it´s just what they tell you. A playbike. Fun everywhere, but probably needs a pilot willing to hang on when pushing it on any terrain, especially on rougher tracks.

Personally i like the TUES´ handling a lot, but due to my problems with hand fatigue/pain i notice its rough nature every time i hop on one. It´s a rewarding but also very demanding bike imho. If that´s your thing, go for it.
I´d personally go for the Supreme as i really like the high pivot feel and that bike is simply gorgeous.
The Furious i´d call a "set and forget bike". Probably best for people who don´t care about speed, line choice or anything like that, but who demand a bike that´s just "chill" to ride.

Parts are of course also important.
If Tues, i´d get the cheapest AL model with the RS suspension and upgrade the fork with a new cartridge.
I´m not a fan of Fox Performance products, as they are not neraly as good as the Factory options, but then again there´s the Vorsprung Fractive tuning for the 40 and the X2 and DHX2 can be upgraded to factory settings by simply purchasing the adjuster/port assembly from Fox. So maybe factor this into your calculations as well.

This is an interesting and well thought out analysis and I like the on-bike characteristics in different types of terrain and riding styles you provided. The only point I would argue is you could just as easily swap out the damper on the 2018 and newer Fox 40 performance elite series forks with a Grip 2 damper as swapping out the RS fork with a new cartridge, but concede that upgrading Fox’s performance rear shocks to match their factory counterparts is more problematic (but I believe still possible with $ and shipping it out to Fox?).

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
Upgrading the damper is fairly easy. Check my thread on the ridemonkey.com dh forum for further information if you're going to attempt it. It's all there.
I simply would go for the RS build because the Boxxer cartridge is half the price of the Grip2 and the Vivid needs no upgrading. So the Fox equipped Tues is a lot of money just to run fox suspension. That's just what i'd personally do though. Of course the cartridge swap is also an option for the Fox 40.

There's also always the option to go for the Vorsprung tuning or an Avalanche cartridge.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
Great post, Loki87!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010924
Mobile Version of Website