Appalling Canyon customer service/aftercare!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Appalling Canyon customer service/aftercare!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
I own a Canyon Spectral AL 2015 model, the bike in itself has been fantastic, great handling nice angles etc.
Then last week i was cleaning it, and to my horror found a crack in the frame on the weld on the rear swing arm.
The bike has been used as intended, but certainly not abused or had anything done to it to cause the crack, and as you can guess I was not impressed at all.

I emailed Canyon and explained the crack in the frame and they asked for the customer invoice number which I gave.
They then asked if I was the original owner to which I said no as I bought it at 6 months old from someone else but it is only just 4 years old. They replied and said they were very sorry but the frame was out of its 2 year warranty, and the guarantee is non transferable to a second owner even if the bike is not very old!

So I had the frame checked by a highly qualified welder, and he confirmed that it was a fault in the weld and not miss use that had caused the crack, and therefore not fit for purpose. I explained this to Canyon and said that they can contact the welder personally to verify, I also said I understand that the warranty was up, but that a company of this stature should not have expensive frames failing on their riders due to weakness/faults in the weld, and that maybe they could give a discount on a replacement frame similar to the one that had failed as a good will gesture, to which their reply was "We are sorry but cannot help". I have since found out this frame problem has happened to many other people!!

I know other well known bike companies do up hold there reputation of looking after the people who ride their bikes second hand or not if a frame failure was to occur but sadly not Canyon who i will no longer deal with again.Really Mad

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
Four years old, two years out of warranty, and you bought it used? Come on man, really.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
Broken bikes are a major bummer, but I think you expect too much here.

Very few companies will warranty second hand bikes. Especially one that is beyond the stated warranty period. Another reason to buy new and buy at a shop. Most good shops will make the warranty process much easier and work it out with the bike companies themselves.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
So you expect a company with no contractual obligation to just give you a new frame out of the goodness of their hearts? That is not how running a company works if you want to stay in business for any amount of time.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 14:12 Quote
Perhaps the guy you brought it off thrashed it within an inch of its life, cracked the frame and sold it to you?!
You've probably got more chance of him giving you a refund than Canyon...

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
Bugmaister wrote:
but sadly not Canyon who i will no longer deal with again.Really Mad

You never dealt with Canyon in the first place.........you saved money up front by buying used , therefore forfeiting any warranty. If you want a warranty, buy new. You can't have it both ways.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
Lol. Get real man.This is the chance you take buying second hand.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
People like you ruin the customer service experience for the rest of us.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
Appalling thread is appalling.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 6:04 Quote
I've had worse with yeti. I had a 2018 Sb4.5 and after a month of riding the damn thing the frame cracked. I contacted yeti and they said I had been "overriding the bike and they are unable to replace it at this time". So I'm out $3000 and still wondering what I did wrong. I mean it's a mountain bike... Aren't you supposed be able to ride it?

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 6:12 Quote
1. Everything breaks. Seriously, no part is indestructible. Assuming they won't break at some point is simply ignorant.

2. You're not obligated to get new parts when yours breaks. Suck it up, we all have to replace broken stuff at some point.

3. Used frames/bikes and parts are warrantied only to the original owner. It clearly says this in almost every owners manual.

4. Buy from your local bike shop to aid in future warranty issues. Assuming that they are within the warranty timeline.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
I am with everyone else in thinking you may be a bit overreacting. Being outside the initial warranty period and being the second owner, I don’t see where your outrage is coming from. I get the notion that they showed you little goodwill and didn’t really listen. But at the end of the day you haven’t been a paying canyon customer so there is nothing they owe you.

On the other hand I wouldn’t buy a canyon sinply due to what seems like a high number of broken frames. Just a month or so ago they had a recall for frame failure.......

If you are the type that holds onto bikes for a while, I would put your money towards a new frame from santa cruz. They have a lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects and from what i have hears they stand by it.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
Just buy a. Bird bike here in the UK.Lifetime transferable frame warranty.Possibly the best warrenty in the industry?And any warrenty issuses resolved in days.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
If you like the frame, find a company that can weld it and temper it at a reasonable price and either powder coat it or keep raw and you have a new looking frame that should keep you happy for a while. I had a chainstay weld failure repaired on my old spesh enduro and enjoyed a good few years of hard riding after and even sold it on. But the welder was a mate who was an avaiation engine engineer who had access to top of the range equipment and only cost me a crate of beer.
Or buy a new frame, can't expect warranty on second-hand items. I would consider the smallest goodwill gesture extreme luck but it's not mandatory.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
bmxconvert wrote:
1. Everything breaks. Seriously, no part is indestructible. Assuming they won't break at some point is simply ignorant.

2. You're not obligated to get new parts when yours breaks. Suck it up, we all have to replace broken stuff at some point.

3. Used frames/bikes and parts are warrantied only to the original owner. It clearly says this in almost every owners manual.

4. Buy from your local bike shop to aid in future warranty issues. Assuming that they are within the warranty timeline.

I was the original owner....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012336
Mobile Version of Website