Meta AM 29 vs TR 29

PB Forum :: Commencal
Meta AM 29 vs TR 29
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 4:38 Quote
Hey guys n gals.

I currently have a Rocky Mountain Altitude, which I do enjoy riding, but more and more I am thinking about the change to the big old wagon wheels!

Having had a few commencal's in the past, I am keen on any feedback between the AM & TR models, in the 29er variety.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to have one of each in the shed, the AM for gnar and the TR for more trail style rides. (although for the price of a yeti sb130 or 150, which also interest me, I could have both of these!)

I have heard the AM is a bit of a pig on the uphills, but like always, the lure of all that extra travel for the very odd occasion it is needed is nice.

So lets have some feedback... which you ride/own, what type of riding you do on it and what you like and dislike!

Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
I just got a Meta TR29 and it's been a great bike so far. Even though it's got 130mm travel it still does really well on everything but doesn't have the safety net that a bigger travel bike would have when you mess up your line choice. It's a bike that probably fits in the Light Enduro category and I plan on doing some races on it. There is definitely a little bit of suspension bob when climbing but it's all fixed when you use the climb switch. I still need to get the suspension completely set up since the Grip2 damper requires a person way smarter than me to get dialed. If you have any other specific questions I'll gladly answer them

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
hows the meta tr climb?

FL
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 4:04 Quote
Sbalaji5 wrote:
I just got a Meta TR29 and it's been a great bike so far. Even though it's got 130mm travel it still does really well on everything but doesn't have the safety net that a bigger travel bike would have when you mess up your line choice. It's a bike that probably fits in the Light Enduro category and I plan on doing some races on it. There is definitely a little bit of suspension bob when climbing but it's all fixed when you use the climb switch. I still need to get the suspension completely set up since the Grip2 damper requires a person way smarter than me to get dialed. If you have any other specific questions I'll gladly answer them

Thanks for the info!

which model do you have?

Where there any other bikes on your radar before you purchased the TR?

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
turfbike wrote:
hows the meta tr climb?
Climbs a lot better than people were telling me it would. No getting around that it is a heavy bike though. I've left the compression switch on the shock open on the steeper more technical stuff and it gives you crazy traction but without the switch it does bob a little on mellow climbs. The seat angle I think is steeper than the AM model and it's got way less shock travel so it should climb a better than one.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
@v7fmp I got the British Edition since I wanted the 36 and a 150mm travel fork. I was looking at getting a Yeti SB130, Santa Cruz Hightower, or an Evil Offering before pulling the trigger on the Commencal. The Yeti is really similar to this bike in a lot of ways

FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 0:13 Quote
Sbalaji5 wrote:
@v7fmp I got the British Edition since I wanted the 36 and a 150mm travel fork. I was looking at getting a Yeti SB130, Santa Cruz Hightower, or an Evil Offering before pulling the trigger on the Commencal. The Yeti is really similar to this bike in a lot of ways

Good stuff. I did notice of the 2019 range of bikes the Fox equipped ones have 150mm travel fork, whereas the rock shox equipped bikes have 140mm.

I like the look of the SB130, but that price tag..... oooosh, its a biggun!

Do you have any pics of your TR?

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
Crazy expensive even when I thought about just getting the frame and using parts I had laying around and I have a couple pics on my profile from when I built it up in my living room. Need to get some photos next time I'm out on the trail

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
Moving to BC and am curious about which of these would be better for me. I would be riding Fraser Valley, North shore and Whistler. You can run a longer stroke shock for ~140mm out back, which I would definitely do.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:06 Quote
Sbalaji5 wrote:
turfbike wrote:
hows the meta tr climb?
Climbs a lot better than people were telling me it would. No getting around that it is a heavy bike though. I've left the compression switch on the shock open on the steeper more technical stuff and it gives you crazy traction but without the switch it does bob a little on mellow climbs. The seat angle I think is steeper than the AM model and it's got way less shock travel so it should climb a better than one.

Commencal has increased the anti-squat considerably on recent bikes, especially 29" models, and they pedal a lot better for it. Steeper seat tube angles help, too. The Meta TR 29 is actually a perfectly good climber, contrary to Commencal's reputation, and it's one of the more capable descenders in its category.

It's true they're among the heaviest bikes in any category, but 1 kg is about 1% of total weight (rider, bike, gear), so the effect of reduced weight on your speed is a lot less than its effect on your finances!

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
MTB-MD wrote:
Moving to BC and am curious about which of these would be better for me. I would be riding Fraser Valley, North shore and Whistler. You can run a longer stroke shock for ~140mm out back, which I would definitely do.

I'm building mine up with the longer shock. I think the 29 wheel makes up for a bit of travel and this should be a very capable bike over-all. However i'd likely rather take my 27.5 Meta AM for bike park duties, or particularly brutal trails.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
Have you made your mind up yet?

I’m in a similar position, but as I’ve got a YT Jeffsy to ride my local trails the AM seems to make more sense for those more gravity focused days away from home. If I was looking at just having one bike it would definitely be the TR.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 15:30 Quote
Jamsxr wrote:

I’m in a similar position, but as I’ve got a YT Jeffsy to ride my local trails the AM seems to make more sense for those more gravity focused days away from home. If I was looking at just having one bike it would definitely be the TR.

Personally I would be looking for something even burlier like a Clash or Canyon Torque to pair with a TR/Jeffsy.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
PhoS wrote:
Jamsxr wrote:

Personally I would be looking for something even burlier like a Clash or Canyon Torque to pair with a TR/Jeffsy.

Good feedback. I think because I’ve always been a one bike guy I’m still looking for the best balance, when actually I should be making some compromises. I’m conscious that despite bike parks I’ll still be doing a hell of a lot of peddleing to get to the top, but if I want fast and stable down it’s not going to be quick and agile going up!

The AM is sitting top of the list. Now I just need to sell my motorbike and have a sit on one.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
Jamsxr wrote:

Been looking for a reviews for a TR 29 finally have it here hoping to hear more about how TR works on trails..i'm just looking for there entry level TR ride.or give a shot on the TR race.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010975
Mobile Version of Website