Santa Cruz Bronson V3 Chain Line

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Bronson V3 Chain Line
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
Hi, can someone please confirm the 2019 Bronson V3 chain line - Santa Cruz states on their bike archive that it is 55mm, when I set my chain line up to this spec however it seems a long way off the frame. If someone has a standard off the shelf build/ standard set up could you please measure from the frame to center of front chain ring? Otherwise, is there different frames for plus sized wheels vs standard 27.5 wheels that could be playing a factor in this?? Cheers!

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
The frames should be the same but chain-tire clearance will be different depending on your rims/tires. The 55mm spec may be necessary for the plus configuration, but perhaps the normal version could be run tighter? If you have a local SC dealer they might be able to get an answer for you. Their website also says the Fox x2 won't work with the new bronson but people have done it with a few mods and some paint rub

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 5:14 Quote
TBaggins wrote:
The frames should be the same but chain-tire clearance will be different depending on your rims/tires. The 55mm spec may be necessary for the plus configuration, but perhaps the normal version could be run tighter? If you have a local SC dealer they might be able to get an answer for you. Their website also says the Fox x2 won't work with the new bronson but people have done it with a few mods and some paint rub

I've measured my chainline, its 55, and I get an issue with the chain dropping off the top cog when backpedalling. The chainline does not seem right. My reading suggests that 51-53mm is the proper line for boost. I will probably have to change chainring now. I'm using sram gx eagle drivetrain, same as the factory build. I'm quite annoyed.. am I missing something?

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
Okay I hear you, but you're not supposed to backpedal in the most extreme gears. Mike Levy claims the new XTR does not experience the issue you are describing due to HyperGlide+ profiling, but every drivetrain with a bit of wear will do that. For the same reason, try not to plow through rock gardens or hit jumps while in low gears. SRAM derailleurs will be more susceptible in this case due to having a weaker clutch.

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 1:58 Quote
Hmm where does it say you shouldn't? Most of the time, it's not going to be an issue, but the one time that it is, when you decided you needed to backpedal when doing some tricky tech section, it's going to be a huge problem.
Btw for me this on a brand new drivetrain.
I read with interest Mike's article about xtr also but I think in this case it may well just be sc pushing things too far to fit a 2.8 tire ( which I wont be doing)

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 8:17 Quote
Nah man. The issue is that drivetrains are designed to guide a chain into every gear in one direction. Backpedaling in a super low gear is just going to have that effect. Same shit happens when I’m cross chained on my road bike. It’s just not part of the intended use. Put any 148 rear hub 10-12 speed drivetrain in the lowest gear and backpedal quickly. It’s gonna fall off. User error.

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
I have a XT8000 nonboost on my alloy Bronson V3 and it is perfect. No drop on backpedaling, no matters how many time I backpedal. I used the same XT8000 on my V2 Bronson and I had zero problem with backpedal too.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 0:33 Quote
Thanks, that is good to know. Was thinking of putting non boost chainring on .. will probably wait till this one wears out

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
Pbrennan wrote:
Thanks, that is good to know. Was thinking of putting non boost chainring on .. will probably wait till this one wears out

I had a nonboost fitted when I bought my bronson 2nd hand with gx eagle. It was terrible for dropping off the 50 tooth, I wasnt able to adjust this out.
When I fitted carbon cranks they came with a boost chainring, this pretty much eliminated the drop. Why I cannot explain, as the boost chainline is worse than nonboost.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009483
Mobile Version of Website