Speed 1x12 or 1x11?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 3:24 Quote
So fellas,I'm gonna build a Propain tyee. And wondering about what groupset shall I get. I found and offer of an Stan gx eagle with everything on except rear cassette on 200euros. It's 1x12. Shall I go for it? What are the differences with the 1x11? Anything you would recommend,I've heard Shimano Saint are also good . I'm on a low budget of 300€ for that

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 4:41 Quote
I would go with Shimano 1x11 SLX or XT if I were to build up a bike today for myself.

I have SRAM X1 1x11 on my current bike and the clutch has pretty much died on the rear mech and can't be serviced. If I want to replace the cassette and rear mech which are both near the end of their life it will cost me pretty twice as much as it would if I had Shimano SLX or XT 1x11. Also I had Shimano SLX 1x11 on a previous bike and I feel it shifted much nicer than my SRAM groupset even though it costs a lot less. It was much lighter to shift and the clutch is better.

I have heard SRAM 12 speed can be a pain in the butt to keep it shifting nicely so I would personally avoid that for the moment. Also its not really needed. I find 11 speed gives me more than enough gearing for the riding I do which involves plenty of steep climbs and fast descents.

Also you don't really need Shimano Saint gearing on an all mountain/Enduro type bike. Its more intended for Downhill riding.
Shimano SLX or XT will be plenty durable enough for the type of riding the Propain Tyee is intended for and will be lighter and offer you better gearing for all round riding.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 6:04 Quote
rafasaris wrote:
So fellas,I'm gonna build a Propain tyee. And wondering about what groupset shall I get. I found and offer of an Stan gx eagle with everything on except rear cassette on 200euros. It's 1x12. Shall I go for it? What are the differences with the 1x11? Anything you would recommend,I've heard Shimano Saint are also good . I'm on a low budget of 300€ for that

If you want 1x12 GX, (or 1x11 GX) you must have XD freehub also.... if you dont have it, then only NX group is possible from SRAM.

1x12 will give you bigger gear range than 1x11, use any online gear calculator to compare between them.
From Shimano - 1x11 SLX or XT is also good solid choice if a little more limited gear range is not a problem for your legs and terrain you riding.
Forget Shimano Saint for trail/enduro bike.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 6:31 Quote
Dont get 12 speed! all it is is one more gear. but that gear costs you many dollars and a lot of weight among other things. 11 speed is perfectly fine and is the better option for 99 percent of riders.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
If money if no issue, the new Shimano XTR 11-speed drivetrain (basically their 12-speed without the 51t cog) would be my 1st choice. XTR 10-45 is plenty enough range, but SRAM 10-42 is the best deal money wise (if you have an XD hub). A 10t smallest cog allows you to run a smaller chainring and 10-42 provides similar gear range as Shimano 11-46. Smaller chainring, smaller cassette and a couple less chain links all mean slightly less weight. I personally like Shimano shifters over SRAM, and my XTR drivetrain is 5 years old and has worked flawlessly. The new XTR would also probably require a different hub for you though.

If mixing parts and not worried about weight, get a XTR or Saint shifter, mid range derailleur, and cheaper cassette. I think the shifter is most important followed by the derailleur for how smooth your drivetrain will operate.

Since you are on a budget, definitely get an 11-speed (and don’t even look at what the XTR cassette cost).

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
If I were building up a drivetrain on a budget I would for sure go for 1x11. 12 speed cassettes are way too expensive. I would go for XTR shifter, XT derailleur, and Sunrace 11-46 cassette.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009128
Mobile Version of Website