Good Fork for 9mm axle?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
I have a diamondback line enduro hardtail with a Suntour xcm fork. The bike rips but the fork feels like shit. I want to upgrade the fork but I am limited to the small 9mm thru axle. Does anyone know of a good fork that fits a 9mm axle? I have looked into the upgrade program but I'm not sure if its the best option

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 9:33 Quote
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-conversion-kit-15mm-to-qr/rp-prod80192?gs=1&sku=sku311223&pgrid=60711842858

Quite a few other options on the market, just google 15mm x 9mm conversion.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
Depending on what front hub you have you may be able to get adapters for it?

You could do 1 of several things: you could see about adapters for your current hub and get a matching fork, you could replace the front hub/wheel with a 15mm axle and get a matching fork, or you could stick with the 9mm and get something like a Manitou Marvel Comp.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
Doh, just realised the link I posted is for adapting 15mm hubs to 9mm qr and you need to go the other way. Sorry.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
Is it a straight or tapered steerer?

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 21:37 Quote
Save more money and upgrade wheels and fork at the same time. It may sound like too much but IMHO it's worth it. 9mm QRs are just plain wrong for mtb, even a light rider like me can feel the flex. Look at the used market if you don't want to invest too much $.

Αbout the headtube, if it's tapered you're fine. If it's 44mm straight you'll need an external lower headset to fit a tapered fork. If it's narrower than that you're stuck with 1 1/8" forks.

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 4:13 Quote
If you're on a budget, your best bet is to buy a used front wheel that's compatible with a 15mm spindle. Otherwise, if you want to keep matching rims,if you're fairly confident, buy a used 15mm hub. There are several good sites for spoke length calculation, so you can work out if you require new spokes. There's also lots of youtube videos showing how to re lace your wheel, then take it to your lbs for tensioning/truing. It's a bit of expense, but it gives you way more choices fork wise, plus it'll give you much more precise steering.

Alternatively, if your budget allows, look for a wheelset with hubs which can be adapted (such as Hope), then if you upgrade your frame at some point your rear wheel can also be upgraded to a new standard.

IMO buying a 9mm qr fork to match your existing wheelset is a false economy.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:
Save more money and upgrade wheels and fork at the same time. It may sound like too much but IMHO it's worth it. 9mm QRs are just plain wrong for mtb, even a light rider like me can feel the flex. Look at the used market if you don't want to invest too much $.

Αbout the headtube, if it's tapered you're fine. If it's 44mm straight you'll need an external lower headset to fit a tapered fork. If it's narrower than that you're stuck with 1 1/8" forks.

This! I went from Suntour XCR with 9mm to Fox 34 with 110 x 15mm bolt through. I lucked out getting a suitable wheel for £50 from CRC.

Posted: Jan 28, 2019 at 14:43 Quote
I do have an older FOX RLC that was recently rebuilt for sale but it is only 100mm of travel. You would probably want more for an Enduro bike. But I agree with everyone else on getting yourself upgrade to thru-axle.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010363
Mobile Version of Website