Help me justify keeping 5010 C S

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me justify keeping 5010 C S
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Hi, wife gave me a Santa Cruz 5010 as a gift.
I think it is too expensive though. This thing cost her about US$4,000.

Bike is fully paid, we can afford it.

But from a financial standpoint, tell me again if you can justify a Santa Cruz 5010 C S when compared to a Giant Trance 2? Is it right the 5010 is like a BMW 3 and the Giant like a Honda Civic?

Use case:
- I like products with warranty.
- I like the idea of buying a product once and keep it.
- I have top notch mountain bike trails 2 miles from home in Seattle. I dont think I will ever jump or ride at risky high speed.
- I would take bike during Summer to LA beaches and ride there.

Posted: Jan 24, 2019 at 9:54 Quote
I can definently pursue you in keeping your wife, that's all...

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
Treat yourself, man. I got one in 2016. Same build. I ride a ton now. I'm in better shape. I'm happier and nicer to my family... All because it's really fun to go ride my bike. Now that I've ridden my 5010 so much, I want something bigger. My new ripmo shows up Monday...

And I would say the 5010 is more like a Miata. There are sexier bikes and faster bikes and bikes that crush harder... But the 5010 is super fun on the trails that are right in your own backyard, even when you're not going that fast...

Posted: Jan 25, 2019 at 0:42 Quote
So sell bike pocket the change and piss your wife off or just enjoy the great bike as you can afford it so it's not causing you any trouble whatsoever.
Sounds like a great wife who bought you the perfect bike for what you do. I wouldn't wanna upset her. She sounds like a keeper.
And I'm sure American women are like English ones . Will lie and say do whatever you want ect and but mean the opposite really and get upset.

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 1:44 Quote
I would keep the 5010 and tell your wife thank you each time you get out for a ride and possibly surprise her with a gift or two in the future (day at the spa, meeting her for lunch on a work day, a weekend get away...) go ride and enjoy the bike.

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 1:54 Quote
Keep the bike. You know the old saying, happy wife...happy life. And why would you even consider selling a gift from your wife..?

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
You can afford it and you're going to enjoy using it, just enjoy having something nice....

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
I’ve owned both and I’d personally choose the 5010. By the way - don’t get it stolen at the beaches in LA!

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
I'm biased as hell because the shop I wrench for is a SC dealer but I can say from a quality and durability standpoint, the frame is the best value in a SC. The 5010 will make you rethink how much fun you can actually have on a bike. Lifetime pivot bearing replacement is nice, and the devil is in their details. Quality of life is so good from a riding perspective and from a service perspective. They use components that are easy to service and have clear service intervals, and the pricepoint your wife got you is a beast of a workhorse all-rounder. Sounds to me like you got a keeper. Just be sure to take it to your local bike shop whenever you need it tuned up!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010654
Mobile Version of Website