2017 vs 2018 Trance Advanced 1

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2017 vs 2018 Trance Advanced 1
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 28, 2019 at 19:04 Quote
Hi Pinkbike users,
I want to buy a used Giant Trance and am considering both a 2017 Trance Advanced 1 and a 2018 Trance Advanced 1. I'm just wondering which you guys think would be a better choice, taking into consideration the fact that I can get the 2017 Trance Advanced 1 for $450 cheaper. Both are used and both are in good condition. The main differences are the drivetrain: Sram GX Eagle 1x12 on the 2018 model; Shimano XT 1x11 on the 2017 bike. Also, the cockpit on the 2017 Trance doesn't have the best of spec: narrow bars (750mm) and long stem (60mm). Just want to know what you think: Is it worth an extra $450 for the 2018 bike or not, in your opinion?
Thanks,
Philip

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 0:37 Quote
Hi Philip, I would recommend the 2017 model, since it has a better drivetrain (Deore XT is equivalent to SRAM's X1 / X01; GX eagle is Shimano's SLX, which is a level lower compared to Deore/X1).
The money saved can be used to get a shorter stem and wider handlebars, which should cost you not more than 450 :p

Just my 2 cents, happy choosing!

Ps: if it were me I'd take the 2018, cos it has rad colours!

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Thanks for the advice; that's where I was leaning towards as well!
Philip

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
I'd go 2018 to get the DPX2 shock, though I too prefer the Shimano spec of the 2017.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
Thanks Adam!
Philip

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
No worries. I have the 2017 Ad. 1 and really love it. I've made a few changes, such as going to a Super Deluxe. It was a huge upgrade over the DPS shock (way better small-bump sensitivity). That's why I'd go with the 2018.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
Just not sure if the rear shock alone is worth an extra $450. Couldn't I throw a used Super Deluxe on for less than that?
Philip

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
You're right there. The old shock is hardly unrideable either, but I think you should be saving at least $450 on a 2017. It's older (more wear) and had a cheaper MRSP. The Eagle drivetrain and the DPX2 make the 2018 more valuable now and when you go to sell it. As well, the 2017 came with OEM Nobby Nics (not worth riding), whereas you got nice Maxxis tires on the 2018.

Anyways, you can't go wrong, but if the 2018 seemed in better shape, I might go with it, just given that it's newer.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 13:39 Quote
So in your opinion is the GX Eagle 1x12 superior to the XT 1x11? I'm a pretty good climber so I doubt if I'd need the 1x12, but it sort of has become the standard for high-end bikes so it'd be nice to have. What about the Guide RS brakes compared to XT brakes? I can't compare any of them because all I know is SLX. If anything the 2017 bike looks in better shape, but they're both pretty good. Photos below:

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 13:48 Quote
As you can see, the 2018 Trance has paint missing around the rear axle area, as well as what looks like chips (easier to see in other photos) in the rear triangle (fortunately this is aluminium, not carbon, so it's mostly just an aesthetics issue). The 2017 trance, on the other hand, looks pretty much spotless, from a damage point of view. Both are 100% stock, to the best of my knowledge and both are tubeless. I don't mind spending the extra $450 if the 2018 is truly the better bike and worth that much more, so I'd be glad to hear more input!

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
Also, I'm not hugely concerned about resell value because I'm planning on keeping this bike for the next few years at least so by the time I sell it, one year older or newer won't make a huge difference. I mostly just want the better bike.
Philip

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 1:00 Quote
Do you have a "bikeparts-shopping" problem?
I mean, if you will eventually upgrade your bike anyway - why not buy a cheaper bike now?..

When I buy bikes I always wonwer only about condition and look of frame, because in some future I know that I will definitely step-by-step upgrade a lot of parts (sell stocks, buy new ones).
Shimano drivetrain is with normal HG hub, right? So you will spend less money if you will desire some other 11s cassette (sunrace,...). As for shocks - stock-ones are all usually sh*t, so ...
Sram brakes with dot bleeding - no, thank you. But, XT 8000 are leaking sooner or later. So, or you should make some DIY upgrade to brake levers (not hard actually) or be prepaired to buy new levers after couple of seasons.
Tyres? C'mon, who uses stock tyres? ))
Do I see Reverb on 2018? Pfff, never. )
So, for 450$ you really can get new (I mean reaaly NEW) handlebar, stem, tyres,...

In your situation I like blue one more ( https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/trance-advanced-1 ) so I would take it. But if not color - I would take cheaper one and spend money for upgrades I realy want.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 3:35 Quote
I'd go 2018. They improved the Fox fork between 2017 and 2018 (larger negative air). You're getting the DPX2 shock, which isn't cheap to upgrade. Better tires. A newer overall bike.

All Giants chip around the axles like that. I wouldn't worry about that.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your responses; still unsure. Have any of you had experience with the SRAM GX Eagle? I've heard reports of fragility from some people, but others say it's really nice. I love the 500% range you get with it (not because I need the larger cogs for climbing but because I can run a bigger front gear for downhill and flats). Drivetrain is a big deal for me because I want something reliable, with crisp shifting and good brakes.

Also, I'm not big into upgrading at all. In the first place, I'm not mechanically inclined with means whenever I'd upgrade I'd take my bike to the shop (expensive) and in the second place I don't like having my bike "out of commission" for any length of time. This is one reason I would probably prefer 2018.

Anyways, if you have any feedback about the GX Eagle (especially in comparison to XT), let me know.

Thanks,
Philip

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
Me again. I've only ridden the X01 Eagle on a rental bike and I thought it was great. For the same reasons you state. I like a 34t up front, but I now a 32 with my XT to help myself on the grinding climbs. I have one friend at the moment that can't seem to get his GX Eagle set up right and it wanting to dump it. So that is worrying. I have another friend that has had no problems and loves it.

I've run the XT stuff for the last 3 years and it's so reliable and cheap. Works great too.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014358
Mobile Version of Website