First bike help

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 15:50 Quote
I’m looking to buy first hardtail. I live in NC so I’ll have access to a lot trails. I’m looking for something aggressive that can handle anything I throw at it.My ideal bike is one that I can grow into rather than out of.

I’ve been checking out San Quentin Marin 3, Commencal Meta HT and Santa Cruz Chameleon so far

My budget is $2k-$2.3k max

Suggestions?

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 20:37 Quote
I love my Chameleon. I bought it as an extra bike for a bit of fun. I now ride it the most.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
Haven't ridden any of them but I don't think you're gonna get a bad bike no matter what you choose! I'd personally go with the Commencal.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 4:03 Quote
Not heard a bad thing about any of those bikes.

I would say the Chameleon is slightly more trail biased and the other two are more aggressive/endure style bikes.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
Get the chameleon and get it painted red with a supreme logo. It’s the same frame so nobody would know it’s not that

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
krattAtak wrote:
Get the chameleon and get it painted red with a supreme logo. It’s the same frame so nobody would know it’s not that

I hope you're joking

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 7:18 Quote
Buy something a couple years old for less than 1/2 your budget, ride it hard and don’t worry about getting scratches. In my opinion, good components (forks, drivetrain, brakes) are more important than carbon vs alloy frames. Look for 1X with a wide range cassette (40t or larger biggest cog), but you probably don’t need 12-speed and will save some weight and $$ with 10 or 11 and good clutch derailleur.

Search Pinkbike’s BuySell, lots of good used bikes to choose from. A couple years ago, I was considering a Stumpjumper and my local dealer recommended the Specialized Fuse hardtail (I choose a full suspension from BuySell). If you want 27.5+, Fuse is with your budget, but still look for a deal on a demo, used, or last year’s model. Plus tires will absorb some of the bumps since you don’t want a rear shock, but 29x2.4 would be my choice.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
krattAtak wrote:

nah, just buy the real deal. This one is starting at $10K on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FW18-Supreme-Santa-Cruz-Chameleon-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Red-Size-Medium/153338647584?hash=item23b3b21420:g:vLsAAOSw8zNcO3GQ:rk:7:pf:0

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010224
Mobile Version of Website