Broke Hip Anyone?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Broke my hip in a June 2017 crash and have not seen any forums on this topic. I had an intertrochanteric hip fracture, which is behind the femoral head, the bat ear looking bone. I hit, broke my hip and then tumbled another 20 feet, During the tumbling the broken bone tore a bunch of muscles. I had a great trauma surgeon who put me back together, he said i was sort of complicated. The accident hasn't stopped me from riding but i have pain in my hip most days. I think it's a combination of scare tissue and the metal plate irritating my IT Band. I ponder the idea of getting the metal removed. Anyone else experience similar accidents?

June 21 2017 Red Tail Trail crash this is my 7 week xray

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
I had a similar injury. Officially called an acetabular hip fracture. In April of 2018 I crashed and the femoral head of my leg dislocated and punched a hole through my hip socket and shattered the socket. It sucked. A lot. I had a pretty involved surgery like I’m sure you did also. I actually have a thread on this forum somewhere that I created after it happened asking the same things you are right now. I think I have pics of my xrays there to. Anyways I didn’t walk for 4 months but I started riding at about 4 1/2 months and have been slowly building back my strength and fitness. I race XC and enduro plus I work construction so this injury was especially scary. I am glad to say things are getting back to normal and the things that helped me the most have been trigger point massage directly on the hip, chiropractic adjustments, e-stem stimulation, and working out like a mother f$cker. It still gets pretty sore sometimes but it hasn’t been a year yet for me. I personally think there will always be some level of discomfort because it’s a pretty severe injury in a place the bears quite a load. If you are still having a lot of pain I would highly recommend doing the stuff I listed above. Good luck with your recovery and I wish you all the best! Feel free to ask me anything

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
I should also mention about a month after my accident I started doing cold laser therapy. I did this for almost 3 months once a week. I don’t usually subscribe to all this weird stuff but I truly believed it helped heal be faster and better. I had sever sciatic nerve pain and damage and it helped with that a lot.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
And now I just realized you where the one who responded to my original post from when I got hurt and gave me a lot of useful info and encouragement. Sorry I feel like an idiot now but maybe you can still try some of that stuff I mentioned. I thank you again for the tips you gave me last year!

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
And now I just realized you where the one who responded to my original post from when I got hurt and gave me a lot of useful info and encouragement. Sorry I feel like an idiot now but maybe you can still try some of that stuff I mentioned. I thank you again for the tips you gave me last year!

Hey Dougdirt

No problem, i just figured i would start the thread for broken hips. I'm going good, still have pain which i think is IT Band and possibly scare tissue from torn muscles. After i broke my hip i tumbled down another 30 feet so the bone about poked out my butt cheek. if i slack on my workouts my hip gets stiff, as in muscular stiff.
I've also read some folks body just doesn't like the metal and continues to cause IT Band irritation.

I"ll definitely look into what helped you, maybe more folks will chime in too..

BTW building my new Devinci Troy 29er Eagle GX can't wait till the snow melts....dumb snow!

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
I had a similar injury. Officially called an acetabular hip fracture. In April of 2018 I crashed and the femoral head of my leg dislocated and punched a hole through my hip socket and shattered the socket. It sucked. A lot. I had a pretty involved surgery like I’m sure you did also. I actually have a thread on this forum somewhere that I created after it happened asking the same things you are right now. I think I have pics of my xrays there to. Anyways I didn’t walk for 4 months but I started riding at about 4 1/2 months and have been slowly building back my strength and fitness. I race XC and enduro plus I work construction so this injury was especially scary. I am glad to say things are getting back to normal and the things that helped me the most have been trigger point massage directly on the hip, chiropractic adjustments, e-stem stimulation, and working out like a mother f$cker. It still gets pretty sore sometimes but it hasn’t been a year yet for me. I personally think there will always be some level of discomfort because it’s a pretty severe injury in a place the bears quite a load. If you are still having a lot of pain I would highly recommend doing the stuff I listed above. Good luck with your recovery and I wish you all the best! Feel free to ask me anything

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
Hi Dougdirt,

how are you now? Can you walk normal without pain? I'm 3 months post-OP, still on crutshes, now searching for the tips...

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
Hey iblizzard,

how are you now? Can you walk normal?
I broke my hip for 3 months and can't walk without crutches. It would be nice to hear from you.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 5:56 Quote
Ann12 wrote:
Hi Dougdirt,

how are you now? Can you walk normal without pain? I'm 3 months post-OP, still on crutshes, now searching for the tips...

Hi. I’m fully recovered physically. I sometimes notice a dull pain in my hip when the weather gets cold or rainy but it’s hardly noticeable anymore. I went to a chiropractor for a long time about once a week and did a lot of stretching. It took about 4 month total after the accident before I was off all crutches and walking somewhat normal . I probably had some sort of a limp for about 5-6 months. I still ride a lot but the mental damage is still there. I dont “send it” like I used to. No blind drops or jumps for me at all. My confidence is still pretty shaken and I worry about getting hurt a lot which is a problem but I’m making progress. I have a very physical job and wear heavy tool pouches on my hips all day and I seem to do ok and still manage to ride as much as possible. I would recommend looking into a supplement called Kratom. It really helped my pain and I still take it to this day. I don’t take it every day but if I ever start feeling sore it helps a ton. Good luck with your recovery and remember to be patient and not rush it.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
Thank you so much. It gives me hope. I was before the injury physically not as active as you. I have an office job and I hope, in one month I can start again. Mentally it's really a big test. I think, I will never ride my bike again. Two weeks ago my Doctor gave me "okay" for full weight bearing. My weight is 52 kg, but it's still too much for my left leg.
I wish you all the best and sorry for my english. I'm in Germany. Smile

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
Ann12 wrote:
Hey iblizzard,

I broke my hip for 3 months and can't walk without crutches. It would be nice to hear from you.

Doing great, however i do have pain from time to time but it's mostly from scar tissue. I tore a bunch of muscles during the crash.
I was weight bearing almost immediately, i actually had to take 20 steps with my walker before they would let me leave the hospital, i left two days after surgery. After two week i didn't need the walker anymore and went to work. I did have a lot of pain and limped for several months but it eventually subsided.
I currently have no limitations, i have sort of scaled back my aggressive bike habits : ) but i still ride hard.

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
Ann12 wrote:
Hey iblizzard,

Doing great, however i do have pain from time to time but it's mostly from scar tissue. I tore a bunch of muscles during the crash.
I was weight bearing almost immediately, i actually had to take 20 steps with my walker before they would let me leave the hospital, i left two days after surgery. After two week i didn't need the walker anymore and went to work. I did have a lot of pain and limped for several months but it eventually subsided.
I currently have no limitations, i have sort of scaled back my aggressive bike habits : ) but i still ride hard.

Thank you very much! I already walk with one crutch. I hope, it gets better. How long did you have swelling?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006285
Mobile Version of Website