Non-boost aggressive/all mountain hardtail frames

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Non-boost aggressive/all mountain hardtail frames
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 22:44 Quote
Hey I've got a bunch of good parts from an old 27.5 bike I'd love to use to build up an aggressive hardtail. The fork is 150mm and the wheels are of the unboosted variety.

I was looking for a 2016 chromag stylus but I'm not having much luck. What other frames would fit the bill? 65-67 degree HTA would be best.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
Transition trans am (used, solid but meh frame)
Cotic bfe (853 tubing)
Stanton switchback (631 or 853)
Production privee Shan (pf bb ????)
Ragley bluepig (cheap)
Btr ranger (custom, but you pay for it)
Soma riff (68* but tange prestige tubing)
DMR trailstar (cheaper)
Kona explosif (if you can find one)

Check out the Brits, they love a hardcore hardtail and have quite a few unboosted options. I'd go with the cotic or Stanton if it were me as I like Gucci steel, which chromag would advertise if they were using.

For an off the wall suggestion check out Marino bikes. They are in peru. Everything is custom and hand made. It looks like you can get a custom geo frame under 500$ even after importing.

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 6:52 Quote
I did the exact same thing with an enduro bike that I wanted to convert into an agressive hardtail... had a 160mm pike, 27.5 wheels (142x12 rear dropout), XT drivetrain, Magura MT7 brakes with 203mm fr/rr rotors and many other quality parts...

So I bought a Dartmoor Hornet frame from a retailer here. That's exactly the geometry you want too.

http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/enduro-trail/hornet-4

It only cost me a new bottom bracket and headset. Sold the Scott Genius frame and finally gain 400$ lol

Just look for seatpost diameter, dropper post cable (external/internal), hose length and rear caliper adaptors.

Have fun Cool

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
Excellent, thanks dudes I'll get digging.

That Dartmoor looks so f*cking sick!

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 13:56 Quote
Yeah this is an awesome bike, really strong, agile and capable. I really love mine Cool

Head tube length is 120 mm, so make sure your fork steerer is ok (mine was flush!!!)

If you want some inspiration : https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=100473&pagenum=289

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
I have a spare 180mm fork. Hmmm that Hornet.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
MikeSchasch wrote:
Hey I've got a bunch of good parts from an old 27.5 bike I'd love to use to build up an aggressive hardtail. The fork is 150mm and the wheels are of the unboosted variety.

I was looking for a 2016 chromag stylus but I'm not having much luck. What other frames would fit the bill? 65-67 degree HTA would be best.

Thanks

Do you really need it to be non-boost? The wolf tooth boostinator (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/boostinator) seems like a solid option for converting.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 20:11 Quote
+1 on the Brits

I've owned two brit aggressive AM hardtails the Ragley Marley and a Bird Zero AM. The Bird was by far the better choice in terms of geo and quality.
The Zero AM is super neutral tho it's aggressive geo and is the best hardtail i've ever owned and with the typical Brit way long-low-slack it just hurl down on the descents. So much fun. I rode mine with 150mm fork giving it 65.5 degree HA.

Should I choose a HT again it would be a Zero (of some sort)

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008574
Mobile Version of Website