Thinking about studding my tires.....

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Thinking about studding my tires.....
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
This is my first winter with a fat bike and I am thinking of studding my tires. The weather has been weird here in Ottawa this year with a bunch of rain yesterday, and freezing at night.

I have 26x4.7" Vee Tire Bulldozers that came stock on my bike and have been really happy with them, except on ice.

I can't afford to slip and go down hard on ice this year so I am looking for some feedback on the idea of studding them with grip studs.

They are expensive, but so are a new set of tires and studs.

Anyone used them?

Any other ideas?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
I got a used set of studded vee snowshoe xl on kijiji for less than half the price of new. I like the idea of having two sets of tires rather than having to install studs every winter. Apparently grip studs are much more aggressive than the little studs on my snowshoes

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
Studded tires really give you way more confidence in conditions that are sketchy, especially with when it freezes and thaws.
A decent new pair of studded tires are pretty pricey, however the used market is the way to go. I picked up a used 45nrth Dillinger 4 for $100 and a Vee XL 4.8 for $110 , a mismatch but a 1/3rd of the cost of new.

Check the PB classified, kijiji or ebay.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
Thanks for the reply guys.

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck ck on the used market. I will keep my eyes peeled though.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
I put Grip Stubs on my fat bike last year. They work great but aren't cheap. I think i installed a total of 175 (100 front; 75 rear) Installation is pretty easy if you get the tool to use with a drill. Picked them up @ Fat Bikes Canada.com.

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
Thanks Rick

I bit the bullet and ordered some grip studs.

I'm going to convert to tubeless at the same time and see how it goes.

I will start a new thread once I have them set up.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
Unreal GRIP
I just installed Kold Kutters in a pair of Specialized Ground Controls for $25. Best $25 I've ever spent on my fat bike. Screwed them in and added 6 oz of Stans with no issues!!!

The grip is unreal!!!

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
For the time and frustration of studding your own tire, which I have done in the past. I would pick up a pair of Terrene studded tires (I have the Wazia) which are fantastic. Been on lots of glare ice with no crashes. in the past I had a pair of Snowshoe XL's and they were ok, I did stud them myself with, but those tires were pre drilled to accept studs, took me two days to finally get all the studs in and a very sore hand. grip studs are like $1 each and you're going to need a shit load of them and a set of tires to put them in, most guys I know have put them in the Minion FBF and FBR. With good results. Although one guy I know with that set up switched up to Terrene Johnny 5's with factory studs. Also FWIW I think the factory studs on Terrene and 45NRTH are supperior to aftermarket studs from my experience, they are sharper, last longer, never fall out and there are no flat problems or sealing problems. I know it's a lot of money since a pair will run $450 CDN plus taxes but in the end you're going to have a superior product you don't have to worry about, cause a flat tire in the winter really sucks. So a home job will cost at least $300 and at least 4 hours of your time. The choice is yours

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
I’ve grip studded studded bud/Lou, minions, ground controls and even the black version of the 2XL. Grip studs work okay but are very expensive and still don’t work as well as a factory studded tire like a Johnny 5 or D5. The factory studded tires roll faster and provide better traction on ice. If you rarely encounter ice then you can get by without them but fat biking is way more fun with studs as you aren’t as limited by the conditions. I’d recommend two sets of tires, one set studded the other set for summer.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024661
Mobile Version of Website