Thinking about studding my tires.....

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Thinking about studding my tires.....
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
This is my first winter with a fat bike and I am thinking of studding my tires. The weather has been weird here in Ottawa this year with a bunch of rain yesterday, and freezing at night.

I have 26x4.7" Vee Tire Bulldozers that came stock on my bike and have been really happy with them, except on ice.

I can't afford to slip and go down hard on ice this year so I am looking for some feedback on the idea of studding them with grip studs.

They are expensive, but so are a new set of tires and studs.

Anyone used them?

Any other ideas?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
I got a used set of studded vee snowshoe xl on kijiji for less than half the price of new. I like the idea of having two sets of tires rather than having to install studs every winter. Apparently grip studs are much more aggressive than the little studs on my snowshoes

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
Studded tires really give you way more confidence in conditions that are sketchy, especially with when it freezes and thaws.
A decent new pair of studded tires are pretty pricey, however the used market is the way to go. I picked up a used 45nrth Dillinger 4 for $100 and a Vee XL 4.8 for $110 , a mismatch but a 1/3rd of the cost of new.

Check the PB classified, kijiji or ebay.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
Thanks for the reply guys.

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck ck on the used market. I will keep my eyes peeled though.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
I put Grip Stubs on my fat bike last year. They work great but aren't cheap. I think i installed a total of 175 (100 front; 75 rear) Installation is pretty easy if you get the tool to use with a drill. Picked them up @ Fat Bikes Canada.com.

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
Thanks Rick

I bit the bullet and ordered some grip studs.

I'm going to convert to tubeless at the same time and see how it goes.

I will start a new thread once I have them set up.

Cheers

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014424
Mobile Version of Website