Angle slackening headsets (for IS-type integrated bearings). ANYBODY?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Angle slackening headsets (for IS-type integrated bearings). ANYBODY?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
Hi all!

There are a number of aftermarket headsets out there that allow adjustment of the head angle (works compnents, slackerizer, cane creek...). They all seem to be compatible with the zero stack headsets and external cup headsets, but I haven't been able to find an option for the integrated headset (IS).

I have a carbon frame where headset bearings sit directly into the frame (oh yeah, and there is a tapered steerer single crown fork installed). Upper diameter of the bearing shell is 42mm, lower diameter is 52mm. I understand that a 42mm hole on top leaves little (/no?) room to play with bearing offset and angle, but with 52 mm at the bottom, it should be doable to a certain extent. If the latter holds true, I'm wondering if the upper bearing could be moved outside the frame using a dedicated bearing cup/adapter, and the problem could be solved.

So, my question here is, whether anybody knows if such a thing already exists and where it can be bought.

I look forward to hear what you smart people have to say !

Dedoverde

Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
Not possible as the tolerances the bearing seat is made to is so rubbish. Usually it’s painted as well which shows how little precision is required for a drop in bearing

Neil Superstar Components

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
It is possible (not easy but possible) to fit a smaller bearing in the lower part (IS52) but it would require the upper bearing to be moved externally and with the shallow insertion depth of the upper IS standard it's totally unsafe.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 1:55 Quote
Newmen makes an integrated angle adjust headset but it is bike specific. If only someone could manufacture eccentric bearings that would fit a standard IS head tube.

https://www.boldcycles.com/stories/newmen-headset-adjustment/

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
Only option for integrated headset is to replace your fork crown race (lower headset bearing seat) with a taller one:

https://reverse-components.com/en/products/05°-angle-spacer-tapered-forks

The 10mm-tall Reverse Components -0.5° Angle Spacer for Tapered Forks fits 40mm steerer tubes and 40mm ID lower headset bearings (like the ones in most IS52 lower integrated tapered headsets). In the US they're distributed by wholesaler BTI, your local bike shop can order it from them for you. It's BTI part number RV-3891.

photo

photo

Or go the DIY route. If your steerer tube has plenty of straight/cyllindrical vertical surface area before the taper starts, shim up your crown race further up the steerer. Just make sure the crown race still bites and locates on the straight 40mm part (or whatever the widest part of your steerer is), and that the shims are totally flat and ideally as close to the ID and OD of the crown race as possible.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 21:08 Quote
Vansharktail wrote:
Only option for integrated headset is to replace your fork crown race (lower headset bearing seat) with a taller one:

https://reverse-components.com/en/products/05°-angle-spacer-tapered-forks

The 10mm-tall Reverse Components -0.5° Angle Spacer for Tapered Forks fits 40mm steerer tubes and 40mm ID lower headset bearings (like the ones in most IS52 lower integrated tapered headsets). In the US they're distributed by wholesaler BTI, your local bike shop can order it from them for you. It's BTI part number RV-3891.

photo

photo

Or go the DIY route. If your steerer tube has plenty of straight/cyllindrical vertical surface area before the taper starts, shim up your crown race further up the steerer. Just make sure the crown race still bites and locates on the straight 40mm part (or whatever the widest part of your steerer is), and that the shims are totally flat and ideally as close to the ID and OD of the crown race as possible.

Not even close to the same.
This raises the bb and slacks the seat tube.
Anglesets will do the opposite.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
Raises bb like a millimeter, and who cares if it slacks the seat tube a half a degree? Adjust your saddle? It's not likely to affect pedaling that drastically, these are small amounts here. "Anglesets" don't work on integrated head tubes, this is literally the only option besides a longer fork or larger front wheel.

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
In the mean time 9point8 released the Slack-R for IS headsets. It is limited to bikes with a specific bearing size but still better than nothing.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 18:24 Quote
Oli4k wrote:
In the mean time 9point8 released the Slack-R for IS headsets. It is limited to bikes with a specific bearing size but still better than nothing.

Holy hell that's something. There.
Much better than a crown race spacer.

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 20:05 Quote
Asking 9.8 if they plan to make IS42 option.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 9:12 Quote
9.8 they are working on IS42!

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
Chillrich1 wrote:
9.8 they are working on IS42!
Any idea when its supposed to come out? My stumpy is crying out for a slacker HTA!

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but do you know if there is any news on an IS42 Slack-R headset from 9point8? I would buy it on the spot if one existed.

I'm in a similar boat-I have a 2018 Camber that I really enjoy, but now that I'm riding more aggressively slacking out the front end would be a huge help (and am not ready to shell out the cash for a new bike).

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 18:17 Quote
They said "coming soon" about a year ago but I haven't seen anything recent on their website. In the mean time Reverse Components has a 10mm crown race spacer which will buy you .5 degrees. At least it's something.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 22:35 Quote
I wonder if the is 41 could be converted to is 42 with a lathe, some barstool, and some loctite.

Not sure why they can't make it with a larger ID and retain the 41mm bearing...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015360
Mobile Version of Website