SRAM GX Eagle derailleur ripped itself apart

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
SRAM GX Eagle derailleur ripped itself apart
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:59 Quote
Whilst riding at the weekend, my back wheel felt like it locked up and nearly ended my life (slight exaggeration) whilst going over a jump. Stopped when i could and noticed that my GX Eagle had torn itself apart. the lower jockey wheel had disappeared, the cage was in half and it was completely ruined. Took it to the car and noticed that where the thread is attached to the cage itself, it has sheered out. The bolt is completely attached and not damaged, Not sure how its happened at all. It wasn't from a side impact, nothing is bent or marked. I was pedaling and putting a bit of power down but wasn't changing gear or anything like that.

Has anyone come across this before?

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
Mine exploded after a jump also in a similar manner. I gather it was an issue on the early ones. Mine was outside 1 year, so I just bought another & fitted it as I was on holiday at the time.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 0:22 Quote
I've messaged Tredz who have agreed to fight my case for a warranty issue as the bike was bought in August. Haven't sent it back yet but they sounded hopeful

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
Mine did the same a few weeks back. Just over a year old. Threaded boss on cage ripped off from upper jockey wheel. Found all the bit and turned it into a fixie for rest of session.
Very frustrating, but no reason I could see for it. Maybe caught a stick or something.
Just bought a new one.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
*Update and end to thread I guess*

Tredz were unreal with their customer service. Kept me updated and were very honest. SRAM agreed it was down to warranty and a new 1 arrived 2 days after Tredz had given me the news. Brilliant service, highly recommend (y)

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 2:46 Quote
I’m on my second Sram Gx now. Of all the ‘radicalness’ I get up to, it exploded both times whilst peddling on the flat. It’s a known warranty issue apparently. That’s why they’ve started to give out those little red plastic guides to help you adjust your B screw height. Although it didn’t seem to work on this piece of sh1t 2nd one.

........counts pennies for a new shimano set up.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 1:53 Quote
My 2nd GX did the same on the 2nd run out. Ended up getting a 2nd warrenty GX and flogging it. Not so sure if they are fixing the issue or just hoping it goes away on its own

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
My GX rear mech did the same thing. I replaced inner cage with the XX1 version that is a forged aluminum piece instead of the cast version from the GX. Hoping this fixes the issue of the cage blowing apart at inopportune times.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
The first time it happened on Wednesday 11/09/19, while pedaling on rough terrain on small cog the chain jammed and I found that the upper pulley is ripped off. It was 1.5 years old X01 and had a few hits, so I ordered a new GX with priority shipping to get it before the race on Sunday. I received it on Friday, rode the whole practice day on Saturday and here is a link to video, which describes what happened on Suday...
This time I shipped it back to Wiggle in the original box. Waiting to see what they say. Paying for a new one meanwhile anyway :-(

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 3:21 Quote
Old-ish thread I know, but just including my experience.

In 6 months I've had 2 GX mechs blow up on me on flat terrain, but under acceleration.

Same thing; threaded boss on the inner cage plate gets ripped off. Jockey wheel blows to bits. End of ride.

Sram can suck it. The clutch is shit too; kept dropping chains on big hits.

Gonna buy a Shimano XT mech and keep the GX shifter.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 3:23 Quote
My buddy has a GX derailleur and he's had constant issues with it. It will completely collapse while putting it under power meaning that climbing isn't really an option for him.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 17:59 Quote
I was just at one of my LBS and the guys said everyone in the shops only runs SRAM if you’re talking 11/12 speed. 10 speed is all Shimano. I wonder how much of that has to do with Microspline being inaccessible outside of a few hub brands up until recently.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 22:16 Quote
Sram had the 11 & 12 speed market from the beginning because they made it before Shimano. Good on them for getting there first but Sram will always be the dirty third cousin when it comes to overall quality compared to Shimano.

Sram quality control has always left a little on the table, Guide brake piston issues, rockshox stuck down issues, derailleur failures... Sometimes progress leads to failures. Sadly sram seams to have an exceptable failure rate and they are ok with that. Wouldn't expect a redesign, just have to
claim warranty when you can, buy they same again with fingers crossed or wait untill the next generation and fork over some $$.

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 15:57 Quote
Btw, my mechanic has shortened the chain one link and the derailleur holds since my last post. Haven't been riding much in the winter though, but I do think that chain length was an issue. It did happen after I had changed my chain, so check if you can shorten yours to avoid issues.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 23:28 Quote
Just happened to my Gx too. Accelerating under power. Boom! Cage shears apart at upper sprocket. ????

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012020
Mobile Version of Website