Firebird 29 vs SB150 vs HTLT vs Foxy 29

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Firebird 29 vs SB150 vs HTLT vs Foxy 29
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 13:31 Quote
I can get a really good deal at the local bike shop for either a Firebird 29, Yeti SB150, SC Hightower LT or Mondraker Foxy 29er. Has anyone ridden them all, or any, and can compare? I was also considering a Ransom (but can't get a deal on it like these). Thanks!

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
They are all different bikes. I’d put the firebird and Mondraker as a long 29ers, fast enduro bikes. The SB150 and LT are similar, good climbers but excelent going downhill with a bit more control and composed then the other models. I hear the Mondraker can be quite erratic and difficult to handle so a demo would be good before you buy.

L

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
leocompositing wrote:
They are all different bikes. I’d put the firebird and Mondraker as a long 29ers, fast enduro bikes. The SB150 and LT are similar, good climbers but excelent going downhill with a bit more control and composed then the other models. I hear the Mondraker can be quite erratic and difficult to handle so a demo would be good before you buy.

The SB150 has a longer wheelbase than the Firebird so I'd probably put it in the long (wheelbase) 29er category, I was comparing Mediums.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
I feel like the answer greatly depends on the riding you do most often. IMO the HTLT would be the best all around bike here, meaning it can pedal xc, undulating terrain pretty well but still is awesome on the descents... Where the others are definitely a bit more gravity focused.

The sb150 would be my choice of the four for what it's worth.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
jkelm wrote:
I can get a really good deal at the local bike shop for either a Firebird 29, Yeti SB150, SC Hightower LT or Mondraker Foxy 29er. Has anyone ridden them all, or any, and can compare? I was also considering a Ransom (but can't get a deal on it like these). Thanks!

My vote is the yeti. Pivot is nice and all but meh. Sc hightower is outdated. They will most likely be releasing a new bike next year if not towards the end of this year. The mondraker is the coolest looking but has choppy suspension.

I think the yeti is your best bet. Best climber and descender here, just be careful with their warranty. I know it's lifetime but you never know if you're gonna get the "riding it too hard" excuse if you break your bike.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

My vote is the yeti. Pivot is nice and all but meh. Sc hightower is outdated. They will most likely be releasing a new bike next year if not towards the end of this year. The mondraker is the coolest looking but has choppy suspension.

I think the yeti is your best bet. Best climber and descender here, just be careful with their warranty. I know it's lifetime but you never know if you're gonna get the "riding it too hard" excuse if you break your bike.

That's one of my main concerns with the Yeti, the frame and it's rear triangle. Talking with the guys at a couple local bike shops, which are literally a mile from Yeti headquarters, they have already seen a few cracked rear triangles and excessive tire rub (running 2.3s) due to how flexy the rear end is. Supposedly Yeti is changing their carbon layup for next production batch but you have no idea when buying the bike

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
jkelm wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

That's one of my main concerns with the Yeti, the frame and it's rear triangle. Talking with the guys at a couple local bike shops, which are literally a mile from Yeti headquarters, they have already seen a few cracked rear triangles and excessive tire rub (running 2.3s) due to how flexy the rear end is. Supposedly Yeti is changing their carbon layup for next production batch but you have no idea when buying the bike

Well if you're really worried about it then I would go with the pivot firebird.

FL
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
Not ridden any, but the SB150 seems to get constant good reviews.

I have heard good things about the Pivot.

I hear rumours the HTLT is about to be replaced?

The pivot is a dream bike for me, but its way too much bike for 99% of things I ride!

I don't think you will go far wrong with any of the choices tho!

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
All good points, it seems like its Firebird vs Sb150. I have demo'ed the Foxy and although a great climber it felt choppy on the rough stuff. I'd have some serious buyers remorse if I went with the HTLT and they refreshed the frame for 2020...

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
jkelm wrote:
All good points, it seems like its Firebird vs Sb150. I have demo'ed the Foxy and although a great climber it felt choppy on the rough stuff. I'd have some serious buyers remorse if I went with the HTLT and they refreshed the frame for 2020...

I think the hightower is unbelievably overrated, firebird is great looking and a great do it all bike. Personally if it were me I'd risk it with the yeti

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:44 Quote
There's a chance that a new HTLT will be released next week before the EWS starts. The bike would have the new low suspension pivot from the nomad and bronson, 160/170mm front and 150mm rear, 29 wheels.

That would become a long travel 29er from Santa Cruz

I'd certainly wait at least till the end of the month if you thinking of buying a HTLT.

jkelm wrote:

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
leocompositing wrote:
There's a chance that a new HTLT will be released next week before the EWS starts. The bike would have the new low suspension pivot from the nomad and bronson, 160/170mm front and 150mm rear, 29 wheels.

I'd certainly wait at least till the end of the month if you thinking of buying a HTLT.

Ahhhhh how good is this chance? Big Grin

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
jkelm wrote:
leocompositing wrote:

Ahhhhh how good is this chance? Big Grin

There's a whole thread about it here

https://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/future-hightower-1068695-3.html

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
I think the hightower is unbelievably overrated, firebird is great looking and a great do it all bike. Personally if it were me I'd risk it with the yeti

You think? What makes you think that. It's an incredibly good bike, does everything well. The only downside is the seat tube angle is less than ideal and it's due for an update.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

You think? What makes you think that. It's an incredibly good bike, does everything well. The only downside is the seat tube angle is less than ideal and it's due for an update.

Agree, definitely not overrated. Bike was released before the industry obsession with steep seat tube angles. HTLT is a great one quiver bike that can do it all. I recently switched to a HTLT and I am getting along fine with the seat angle and feels just as good as previous bike which had a 75.5 sta.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009349
Mobile Version of Website