Firebird 29 vs SB150 vs HTLT vs Foxy 29

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Firebird 29 vs SB150 vs HTLT vs Foxy 29
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
It's just a very outdated bike. Reach numbers look like they are from 2015, seat the angle is slack, styling is bland and price for spec is up there with the worst of the industry. I'm just saying comparing it to other mid/long travel bikes it's mediocre

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:07 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
It's just a very outdated bike. Reach numbers look like they are from 2015, seat the angle is slack, styling is bland and price for spec is up there with the worst of the industry. I'm just saying comparing it to other mid/long travel bikes it's mediocre

To each his own. The reach numbers require a size up from normal. I like the clean and basic styling.

I really don't understand where this whole reach thing is going. Your average mountain biker is smaller in stature and reaches are pushing 500mm.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
Ed284 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
I think the hightower is unbelievably overrated, firebird is great looking and a great do it all bike. Personally if it were me I'd risk it with the yeti

You think? What makes you think that. It's an incredibly good bike, does everything well. The only downside is the seat tube angle is less than ideal and it's due for an update.

Agree, definitely not overrated. Bike was released before the industry obsession with steep seat tube angles. HTLT is a great one quiver bike that can do it all. I recently switched to a HTLT and I am getting along fine with the seat angle and feels just as good as previous bike which had a 75.5 sta.
Also... just because there is a new HTLT that doesn't mean the current one is not still relevant. Even the Tallboy LT is still a great bike for most people and most types of terrain. People just like to get caught up in the newer is always better mindset.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:34 Quote
Ed284 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

To each his own. The reach numbers require a size up from normal. I like the clean and basic styling.

I really don't understand where this whole reach thing is going. Your average mountain biker is smaller in stature and reaches are pushing 500mm.

Personally I need a longer reach. I stand at 6 1" and 90% of bikes have too small a reach in a size large. XLs are hard to come across with a decent reach size.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Ed284 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

Personally I need a longer reach. I stand at 6 1" and 90% of bikes have too small a reach in a size large. XLs are hard to come across with a decent reach size.

6' 2" here lol. I would be buying a Large with these modern geometry numbers.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
Ed284 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

You think? What makes you think that. It's an incredibly good bike, does everything well. The only downside is the seat tube angle is less than ideal and it's due for an update.

Agree, definitely not overrated. Bike was released before the industry obsession with steep seat tube angles. HTLT is a great one quiver bike that can do it all. I recently switched to a HTLT and I am getting along fine with the seat angle and feels just as good as previous bike which had a 75.5 sta.
Also... just because there is a new HTLT that doesn't mean the current one is not still relevant. Even the Tallboy LT is still a great bike for most people and most types of terrain. People just like to get caught up in the newer is always better mindset.

Agree. I got my HTLT because I wanted an all rounder. I am worried that the new one will be a Nomad 29er which will be too much bike.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 17:05 Quote
Even the SB150 has been said to be too much bike for most people and places... if riders are honest with themselves and realistic with their needs.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Ed284 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Ed284 wrote:

a large??? You must have very short arms or something. Have you seen the reach numbers? Their large has a very short reach at 450mm. I'm going to a bike with 480+ mm of reach. I feel very cramped on my intense tracer.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 17:20 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Ed284 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

a large??? You must have very short arms or something. Have you seen the reach numbers? Their large has a very short reach at 450mm. I'm going to a bike with 480+ mm of reach. I feel very cramped on my intense tracer.

I have long legs and ape arms. My XL HTLT is 468 reach, run 50mm stem, 780mm bars and it feels perfect. I could not see myself going with anything longer than 480.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 17:45 Quote
Sorry to hijack this thread. I only have experience with the HTLT and it is a great all around bike as stated. I would recommend demoing.

The Yeti is sweet but I am not a fan of the extra complexity and maintenance that the infinity switch system may require. The Pivot has a super boost rear wheel which probably is not a concern since you are buying complete bike.

Good luck!

FL
Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
Don't rule out Stumpjumper evo. In particular if the carbon version comes out.

Fortunate to have SB150 and Stumpy at my disposal. To be honest I ride the stumpjumper more, with a coil shock and a bit more fork upfront it's faster downhill IMO, I feels spooky similar to my Demo 8.

The yeti much better climber but I'm in no rush to get to the top, that been said the yeti frame has been out of action due to a cracked frame (don't ask I'm having a bad year with frames)

I spent a brief moment on a firebird and it was very similar to the yeti but a bit more compliant, not enough to give a good insight to you though.

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
Having ridden the htlt and owning the foxy, I can say that the foxy is the best climbing long travel 29er I’ve ever ridden. It is sporty and snappy. On the way down it’s a bruiser and can party with the best of them. It’s very versatile for all day epics that get you to the rowdy stuff. one trick pony, it is not....all around crusher, definitely. And it finally is a bike that fits awesome for someone who is 6’2 and likes going (kind of) fast

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
Ed284 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

a bike with a longer reach is normally more stable. With reduced offset forks coming out you aren't sacrificing a whole lot in terms of cornering and handling. And before you say anything about reduced offset forks, they make a huge difference in terms of handling. Its actually pretty crazy. I'm running one on my Intense Tracer.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 22, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Ed284 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

a bike with a longer reach is normally more stable. With reduced offset forks coming out you aren't sacrificing a whole lot in terms of cornering and handling. And before you say anything about reduced offset forks, they make a huge difference in terms of handling. Its actually pretty crazy. I'm running one on my Intense Tracer.

How does reach affect stability? You mean wheelbase I assume...

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Ed284 wrote:

How does reach affect stability? You mean wheelbase I assume...

Yeah, forgot to add that. Kinda destroys any credibility in my statement.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012253
Mobile Version of Website