Specialized StumpJumper ST mods

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Specialized StumpJumper ST mods
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
I recently bought a 2019 Specialized StumpJumper ST and I’m going through and modding some stuff. I was after some new suspension and I was wondering how I go about choosing a set of forks and a shock. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
Which spec is it? What kind of terrain are you riding? Some forks are more aggressive than others, some shocks are better for descents. Wheels are my favorite first upgrade if they’re not to my liking, that’s a good place for manufacturers to be cheap.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 4:14 Quote
Fresh38 wrote:
I recently bought a 2019 Specialized StumpJumper ST and I’m going through and modding some stuff. I was after some new suspension and I was wondering how I go about choosing a set of forks and a shock. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

Forks it’s worth looking at internal upgrades. Shocks aren’t likely to be so overworked on a short travel bike, so not sure it would be worth upgrading to a piggy back or similar. Definitely not a coil.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
It’s an aluminium framed short travel with 27.5” wheels. When you say internal work what do you mean? Like a spring conversion or some exotic coatings, what separates the high end forks from the lower end?
I was also looking at a wheel set after the other mods I had in plan. I already have a groupset on its way. What would be a good direction to go in the way of wheels?

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
Before you just start buying parts. Maybe the questions to answer are:
What kind of terrain are you riding?
What speed are you riding it?
Have you properly set up your sag and played around with the suspension settings?
What is wrong with the bike that is keeping you from riding what you want to ride?

There are things that can make a huge difference in the bike that doesn't require swapping the most expensive components of the bike.

Or maybe you just want to mod the bike?

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
Before upgrading anything on your bike you've got to get to know how it rides, especially as it's a brand new model. Ride it in the wet mud on hardpack, steep tech and flat out bikepark. Try and play with cockpit changes, tyre choice and suspension settings bit by bit to get it feeling how you like and see what works best for at least 6 months, this will give you a much better picture of what you actually need to change to help improve your riding. Biking happens in uncontrolled environments so you'll never have a bike that feels insane 12 months of the year!

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 19:27 Quote
I have a 2020 short travel and blew the shock two weeks in. Does anyone know what shocks will fit? I called fox looking for a dpx2 and they said they don’t make one to the st spec.

I’m looking for something that can handle a little more abuse than the fox float.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
I got a Suntour for mine. Got it because it so easy to adjust from 130mm to 150mm. Now I have the option to go long travel. Fork feels great too. I love it.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
camreagan wrote:
I have a 2020 short travel and blew the shock two weeks in. Does anyone know what shocks will fit? I called fox looking for a dpx2 and they said they don’t make one to the st spec.

I’m looking for something that can handle a little more abuse than the fox float.

You can put a dpx2 on it you just have to buy a shorter yolk than the one that comes on the hardtail. See this thread:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=214976

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
^A hard tail doesn't have a rear shock

FL
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
camreagan wrote:

On the fox website they say the dpx2 can fit.

If I had a stumpjumper st my first upgrade would be a cascade link, followed by pulling the 2.5 mm travel spacer in the stock shock. After that just typical upgrades.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011206
Mobile Version of Website