FIT GRIP vs FIT4 GRIP2 damper ?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
FIT GRIP vs FIT4 GRIP2 damper ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 17:50 Quote
I have a special case that I am not able to find answers anywhere. I know quite a bit about FIT4 GRIP2 dampers as it is everywhere in worldwide web but what about just FIT GRIP-dampers. I just bought a brand new fox 36 from a guy off of craigslist in CO for a fairly descent price and it has a FIT GRIP sticker and I also cross checked at the fox website with the product code and it indeed has GRIP damper. It definitely doesn’t have the low and high rebound adjustment but has only one bottom adjustment and the top has the firm-medium-open adjustment knob. So this is certainly not the 2019 FIT4 GRIP 2 damper but then I wonder what it is this thing. I would have posted a picture if there was an option. I will appreciate any gyaan on this!
Thanks
Jimmy

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
You have the grip 1 damper. It is the damper that they are using in the new marzocchi fork.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 18:13 Quote
What the not-so-big-fan of Carolina said. Definitely, the FIT Grip 1 damper. It came as the stock damper on the Fox Performance series OEM forks. If you ever feel so inclined you can upgrade to the grip 2 rather easily, I just swapped out my grip damper for a grip 2 about a month ago when I serviced my 2018 Fox 36 fork.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
The grip 1 is a very nice damper, I like it better than the fit 4 damper despite it's lack of external adjustment.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
Thanks a lot guys. I finally found it in the fox site as well. However, I am surprised they don’t market the GRIP damper at all. The only options are FIT4 and GRIP2 for Fox 36.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 18:52 Quote
Bird-in-dirt wrote:
Thanks a lot guys. I finally found it in the fox site as well. However, I am surprised they don’t market the GRIP damper at all. The only options are FIT4 and GRIP2 for Fox 36.

It’s because it’s considered a “budget option” damper for their higher end forks and not typically available aftermarket. It’s meant to be used on performance series models offered on midrange component builds of mid-higher end frames by the OEM. The aftermarket version is the Grip 2 which is heavily marketed and pretty awesome. I upgraded to it on both my Bronson C and V10 C.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
Bird-in-dirt wrote:

It’s because it’s considered a “budget option” damper for their higher end forks and not typically available aftermarket. It’s meant to be used on performance series models offered on midrange component builds of mid-higher end frames by the OEM. The aftermarket version is the Grip 2 which is heavily marketed and pretty awesome. I upgraded to it on both my Bronson C and V10 C.
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I know the difference could be subtle but in this case is GRIP2 a significant bump then the GRIP?

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
Bird-in-dirt wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:
Bird-in-dirt wrote:

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I know the difference could be subtle but in this case is GRIP2 a significant bump then the GRIP?

It depends and don’t get me wrong, the grip 1 is a fine damper. If your weight and riding style fall in the sweet spot of Fox’s bell curve, then the preset high speed compression and high speed rebound the grip 1 damper is set at may be just fine for you. However, if your weight or riding style take you to the outer bounds of that bell curved either direction, you may find yourself wanting: typically heavier rider = equals higher spring rate = more high speed rebound damping while the opposite is true for a lighter rider. The grip2 provides adjustability and a means to really dial in your ride for your weight/riding style/terrain and adjust as needed if any of those parameters changes or doesn’t fall within the bell curve covered by the preset shim stacks in the grip 1 for its non-adjustable parameters (identified above). The grip 2 also provides adjustability for those within said bell curve that enjoy tinkering and playing with their bike’s suspension to fine tune their riding experience.

Many would argue custom tuning by companies like avalanche or vorsprung are more effective ways of achieving the perfect tune while the grip 1 provide the perfect amount of tuning for others. Suspension feel is highly subjective to a degree. While evaluating whether you want to pursue additional damping upgrades don’t forget to play with adding/removing volume spacers on your current setup while adjusting the adjustable parameters you do have available. YMMV.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
Does anyone have any insights as to how the grip2 compares to the hsc/lsc (RC2)?

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
Bird-in-dirt wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:

It depends and don’t get me wrong, the grip 1 is a fine damper. If your weight and riding style fall in the sweet spot of Fox’s bell curve, then the preset high speed compression and high speed rebound the grip 1 damper is set at may be just fine for you. However, if your weight or riding style take you to the outer bounds of that bell curved either direction, you may find yourself wanting: typically heavier rider = equals higher spring rate = more high speed rebound damping while the opposite is true for a lighter rider. The grip2 provides adjustability and a means to really dial in your ride for your weight/riding style/terrain and adjust as needed if any of those parameters changes or doesn’t fall within the bell curve covered by the preset shim stacks in the grip 1 for its non-adjustable parameters (identified above). The grip 2 also provides adjustability for those within said bell curve that enjoy tinkering and playing with their bike’s suspension to fine tune their riding experience.

Many would argue custom tuning by companies like avalanche or vorsprung are more effective ways of achieving the perfect tune while the grip 1 provide the perfect amount of tuning for others. Suspension feel is highly subjective to a degree. While evaluating whether you want to pursue additional damping upgrades don’t forget to play with adding/removing volume spacers on your current setup while adjusting the adjustable parameters you do have available. YMMV.
Thanks for the detailed info. This is really helpful.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 1:48 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
Bird-in-dirt wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:

That's such a spot on response. It's pretty much my conculsion of any of the mid range OEM suspension products from Fox or Rockshox. If you're an average rider of average weight (even one who charges hard on difficult terrain), then the OEM budget dampers do a fine job. It actually makes it less easy to screw up settings too, so that narrower range of adjustment can make it easier to get a 'good' ride on varying terrain all the time. As Shartriloquist says, you can always adjust with volume spacers and I've never found the need to improve my Grip damper on fox or Charger damper on Rockshox.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006181
Mobile Version of Website