TREK needs to do their homework!

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
TREK needs to do their homework!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
Rode a FARLEY 6 for 2 seasons but realized a fatter 4.8 rear end does make a difference and helps when conditions are on the softer side. SO I upgraded to a FARLEY 5 with the fat rear end. I trusted TREK to get things right but big mistake!
The FARLEY 5 has badly designed seat stays that are too big, too round, too wide apart, and totally unneccessary. I'm not a big guy and my calfs hit the stays which is totally annoying and a deal breaker.
The ROCKY MOUNTAIN BLIZZARD, for example, got it right - the seat stays are oval, narrower, and less wide apart with still plenty of clearance for a 4.8! ROCKY clearly field tested this frame. Don't think TREK did.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 1:06 Quote
To me a fat bike really isn’t fat unless it can fit 4.8” tires and even then, that’s a bit half ass. I won’t buy anything that can’t fit a 5.05” simply because I need the biggest tires available and I can always go smaller, but you can’t go bigger if your frame limits you.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
4.0, 4.8, 5.05 tires, 26 or 27.5 wheels, Riding in Alaska, Minnesota, or BC - winter or summer - it all dosen't matter.
The Trek Farley frame is flawed. Stay away.

Posted: Feb 26, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
Sorry to hear you're not happy with the way we have our Farley designed. We'll take your feedback into consideration.

One thing to consider is foot to pedal placement which can help alleviate contact of your body to the frame.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
I had a Farley 7 and now a Farley 9.6 i've been riding for the past 3 years.

No issues whatsoever, nothing flawed about the bike.

Pretty sure Trek did their homework in producing a great fat bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 22:13 Quote
Meh,
Gotta do yer homework before you bash. Most fatties are designed to run a 3.8 on a 27.5 wheel or a 4.5”+ on a 26 wheel, that’s the main difference in the market right now. The Farley is a little wider to fit a 4.5 on a 27.5 wheel and keep the chainstay under 450mm. Otso is close but Trek is the only one you can run almost any tire/wheel combo and have reasonable chainstay length. This is a design but not a flaw.....
I’ve got a 19’ Farley and ran a full winter on 4.5” XL studded Gnarwhal’s with no issues and over 300 snow miles. Never bang anything on the frame unless I’m being lazy and hit my feet during a no footed can. I ride this like a monster bmx in the summer and use it to hunt. I’ve run this bike hard and it’s held up and been super fun.

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
OldschoolAK wrote:
Meh,
Gotta do yer homework before you bash. Most fatties are designed to run a 3.8 on a 27.5 wheel or a 4.5”+ on a 26 wheel, that’s the main difference in the market right now. The Farley is a little wider to fit a 4.5 on a 27.5 wheel and keep the chainstay under 450mm. Otso is close but Trek is the only one you can run almost any tire/wheel combo and have reasonable chainstay length. This is a design but not a flaw.....
I’ve got a 19’ Farley and ran a full winter on 4.5” XL studded Gnarwhal’s with no issues and over 300 snow miles. Never bang anything on the frame unless I’m being lazy and hit my feet during a no footed can. I ride this like a monster bmx in the summer and use it to hunt. I’ve run this bike hard and it’s held up and been super fun.

Lmao vid of no foot can on a Farley plz!!

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
I rode a Farley recently and I see both sides.

For me, the seatstays were wider than ideal and I had frequent calf contact. The ability to run 4.5"+ on 650b with reasonable chainstay length may be worth it, for some. Personally, I'm having more fun on narrower tires and firmer snow.

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 17:34 Quote
Dedward2 wrote:

Lmao vid of no foot can on a Farley plz!!

How do I add a pic to the durum thread? I have a few jumping the Farley in my photos that should be public.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009751
Mobile Version of Website