Changing from 120mm to 130mm front travel [Question]

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Changing from 120mm to 130mm front travel [Question]
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
Pretty basic question here,
26M. In spring 2017 I bought a Scott Spark 710. It was my third year after starting the sport and I wanted to try my hand at racing XC. I did the requisite V02 max training, got real nice patterns on my HR monitor and the like. I live in south-central Montana, Red Lodge area if anyone's familiar. The one problem is that there's just not much of an XC racing scene here. I'm talking traveling 6 hours for non-series races. Consequently I have been thinking about trying to transition to enduro racing. Montana has this great 'Montana Enduro Series. I know that the Spark is an XC rig but should be just fine to dip my toe into enduro racing. I think. Do you think that it would be worth it to swap out the 120mm front fork for a 130?

-Carl

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
Depending on what fork you have that change maybe as easy as a $40 air shaft swap keeping your existing forks. If that’s the case it’s worth just going for it as a touch more travel and little slacker head angle won’t hurt at all on the downs.

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
No I don’t think it would be worth it. Especially just to try enduro. I would get some proper tires (dhf/dhr2) and a dropper and just have a go at the race. 10mm isn’t going to make or break the day, especially at your first race. If you catch the enduro bug, you would probably want to get on something better suited for that type of riding. It would be a shame to drop money into new fork only to find that the bike is still in over its head and have to get a new bike after that. Beyond the tires and a dropper get some proper enduro kit and protection.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
If you have a 120/130 travel fork chances are you can swap air rod like Steve said in 20 min.
Can find them for rockshox for 28 bucks.
But can your tires, Brakes and rims take a good enduro run??
If you have 140-160 rotors strong chance you won’t have much for brakes left at end of the day. If your running high TPI tires that are light weight chances are they won’t finish the day.

All this is speculation without knowing your downhill speed ability.
But if a 10ft gap jump and or a 5ft drop is well within your comfort zone, keep your xc rig xc and find a decent used enduro bike cheap to wet your feet.
Find a 5-6yr old rig at good price and if u find enduro isn’t your forte you can most likely off the rig for what you paid for it.

But my exp, don’t do an enduro until your budget can afford a quality enduro rig as it’s very addicting.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005123
Mobile Version of Website