2019 Marin Alpine Trail 8

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 26, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
I stumbled across this longish travel 29er recently and noticed a handful of positive first ride reviews across the bikerwebs. So.....

Is this the sleeper hit of the year?
Who the hell has ridden one?
How does it do as a single bike quiver? (does it climb well enough)
Is the aluminum frame offensively heavy (e.g. kona/transition) or just normal?

For $3700 it's priced very well (imo) and on paper the leverage rate looks lovely. Some highlights:

-full alu 29er 150r/160f
-modern geo tho lacking an en vogue reduced offset fork
-fox performance suspension (dpx2 & 36)
-thank you for speccing a GX cassette instead of going full NX (much lighter)
-deity cockpit (thanks again)
-TRP trail brakes
-KS Lev

Not too concerned about wheels/tires as I'm taking my custom wheelset with me to the next bike.

Posted: Feb 27, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
I have about 100 miles on the Rift Zone 3 since the new year. I was debating between the Rift Zone and the alpine trail and ended up going with the Rift Zone w/ 140mm fork. I've been really impressed with the Rift Zone so far and may still pick up an alpine trail down the road. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get the alpine trail. My next upgrade will be a nicer set of wheels, maybe carbon, we'll see.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
I ordered the Alpine Trail 8 to replace the Attack Trail 8 2018 I had last year. I am looking for a better climbing bike but is still super capable descending. The bike has not arrived yet so no feed back but I am looking forward to seeing if this is the sleeper bike that you are talking about. I am concerned about the brakes not being powerful enough for a heavier (185lbs) aggressive rider. Also hoping the tires will hold up. When the bike arrives, I will share my thoughts.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
Definitely looking forward to riding one. Basically an "improvement" on the Attack Trail. Marin had some production issues with them so they are delayed until April. Look at the Santa Cruz MegaTower. I think they will be basically the same bike with a higher $ tag on the SC.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
mastashake wrote:
Definitely looking forward to riding one. Basically an "improvement" on the Attack Trail. Marin had some production issues with them so they are delayed until April. Look at the Santa Cruz MegaTower. I think they will be basically the same bike with a higher $ tag on the SC.

Production issues you say? I don't love the sound of that. Any idea when in April they are suppose to land? Thanks.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
mastashake wrote:

Production issues you say? I don't love the sound of that. Any idea when in April they are suppose to land? Thanks.

I was not able to get any real details but what I was told is that the rear triangles had QC problems and they could not go out to market. We are expecting them to arrive Mid April.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
mastashake wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:
mastashake wrote:

I was not able to get any real details but what I was told is that the rear triangles had QC problems and they could not go out to market. We are expecting them to arrive Mid April.

Thanks for the info.

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
My Alpine Trail 8 arrived late last week! It was air shipped out of Asia and delivered to my LBS. Not much time on it yet but it feels great! More info as soon as I get an honest shred on it.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
Here it is! 2019 Alpine Trail 8 with Chromag osx 780 bar, contact pedals and palmskin grips. Stoked!

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
Nice! That's a solid looking bike and the purple pedals go well also (I run purple HT T1s). Let us know how she rides after you've got some time in. Also weight? (just curious)

Martha Gill's rocking one of these on the EWS circuit and is posting some solid results.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
Nice! That's a solid looking bike and the purple pedals go well also (I run purple HT T1s). Let us know how she rides after you've got some time in. Also weight? (just curious)

Martha Gill's rocking one of these on the EWS circuit and is posting some solid results.

34lbs...ouchie. That is with the stock tires and tubes (which are not light). I will go tubeless once I figure out if the Vee rubber works around here. Could easily throw money at it to drop the weight but the pilot needs to loose a few lbs so probably best to start there. Not a light bike but it feels playful and fast. More testing today!

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
How's it ride on the ups and downs? Anything you can compare it to?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
I have some real time on the Alpine and I am happy to report all is well. Parts spec is solid. I am most impressed with the brakes. I heard that they might be a weak link but I like them. I am not light 190lbs and where I ride is fast/flowy. So far, the brakes are great. Similar feeling to shimano. The tires are slow and do not love dry loose on hard pack. Minions will be on the bike soon. The bike climbs well for its weight. It is much more playful than the attack trail I was on last year. I am 5 10 and decided on the medium. I am glad that I did however I think I am going to get a longer stem. This is my first 29er and the transition from 27.5 to 29er has been pretty smooth. The bike feels fast but I am also very stoked these days so could just be me. Overall I am really happy with the bike and look forward to a great season!

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
I have some real time on the Alpine and I am happy to report all is well. Parts spec is solid. I am most impressed with the brakes. I heard that they might be a weak link but I like them. I am not light 190lbs and where I ride is fast/flowy. So far, the brakes are great. Similar feeling to shimano. The tires are slow and do not love dry loose on hard pack. Minions will be on the bike soon. The bike climbs well for its weight. It is much more playful than the attack trail I was on last year. I am 5 10 and decided on the medium. I am glad that I did however I think I am going to get a longer stem. This is my first 29er and the transition from 27.5 to 29er has been pretty smooth. The bike feels fast but I am also very stoked these days so could just be me. Overall I am really happy with the bike and look forward to a great season!

Thanks for the info

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 20:10 Quote

Got mine last week, spent some time replacing a few components, cutting the bars down and putting some custom decals on. I'm 5'10" and settled on a large after riding my buddy's medium, and a medium and large Transition Smuggler. Love the large, and the bike overall... thing just crushes big stuff on the trails and climbs great too. I was riding a B-17 previously and like the swap to 29er.

Build is as follows:

Grips - Deity Waypoint
Rotors - TRP TRP-33 Slotted 203/180mm
Chainguide - e*thirteen TRS Plus
Crankset - e*thirteen TRS Plus
Chainring - e*thirteen SL Guidering 30T
BB - e*thirteen BSA
Chain - SRAM X01 Eagle
Pedals - Shimano XTR PD-M9120
Front Tire - Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4" EXO
Rear Tire - Maxxis Minion SS 2.3" DD
Sealant - Muc-Off No Puncture Sealant
Rear Insert - Rimpact #SendNoodz
Valves - Rimpact Tubeless Valves
Saddle - Deity Speedtrap Ti
Seatpost - e*thirteen TRS Plus 170mm
Post Clamp - Deity Circuit

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012965
Mobile Version of Website