2019 Marin Alpine Trail 8

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
2019 Marin Alpine Trail 8
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
@shydroxide

sick build!.... and I love me some semi slicks! I actually just destroyed the new e13 S/S in about 2 months (frowny face). not sure what that's about, need to give the supplier a call. and it was the midweight casing too, so over 1000g in 29.

anyway, post up some thoughts after you've shredded her a bit. the decals look great!

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 17:25 Quote
What do your rides weigh guy-just wondering

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
33 lbs with stock rubber and tubes.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 23:21 Quote
Los5 wrote:
What do your rides weigh guy-just wondering

Exactly 35lbs with the build specified earlier. Tires are heavy, insert doesn't help, but honestly I'm in pretty good shape (#humblebrag) so it isn't holding me back on the climbs, and I'm not interested in grenading any more rims, or punching holes in any more tires.

Edit: the dropper doesn't help but you'll have to pry my e13 dropper from my cold dead fingers. #coilsferdagoils

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
After a season of riding my Alpine Trail 8 I am happy to report that the bike held up really well! Before I go through the bike, here is what I swapped out:

- Chromag OSX bar
- Minion DHF 2.5 3c front tire
- Shimano ice tech brake pads front caliper only.
- Chormag contact pedals.

Highlights:
- the TRP Slate T4 brakes are fantastic! They feel like shimano and work super well. 1600 m decent in revy with no fade or issues at all.
- geometry... climbed really well and liked to go fast down. This bike checks all the boxes for a long travel modern enduro 29er
- this is my first 29er and I am not going back...stoked.
- rear shock is fantastic FOX float dpx2.
- pedals well for its travel.
- this bike is playful and fun to ride!

Things I would change:
- NX is just ok.
- Fox performance 36 is just ok. Small bump is not great.
- the stock tires do not work well in Kamloops dry loose terrain
- wheel set has held up well but getting something a bit stiffer would greatly improve the ride.
- size. I am right in the middle of the medium and large. I went with medium but I would have liked to try the large and medium back to back to see what fit better.

Overall, this bike has been great. From XC rides to bike park, it has not let me down. If you are looking at a bike in this category, I would definitely check this one out.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 17:22 Quote
So 18/19 and 19/20 are the same bike? For example I found this review date back to May 2018.
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-ride-review-marin-alpine-trail/

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
After a season of riding my Alpine Trail 8 I am happy to report that the bike held up really well! Before I go through the bike, here is what I swapped out:

- Chromag OSX bar
- Minion DHF 2.5 3c front tire
- Shimano ice tech brake pads front caliper only.
- Chormag contact pedals.

Highlights:
- the TRP orion brakes are fantastic! They feel like shimano and work super well. 1600 m decent in revy with no fade or issues at all.
- geometry... climbed really well and liked to go fast down. This bike checks all the boxes for a long travel modern enduro 29er
- this is my first 29er and I am not going back...stoked.
- rear shock is fantastic FOX float dpx2.
- pedals well for its travel.
- this bike is playful and fun to ride!

Things I would change:
- NX is just ok.
- Fox performance 36 is just ok. Small bump is not great.
- the stock tires do not work well in Kamloops dry loose terrain
- wheel set has held up well but getting something a bit stiffer would greatly improve the ride.
- size. I am right in the middle of the medium and large. I went with medium but I would have liked to try the large and medium back to back to see what fit better.

Overall, this bike has been great. From XC rides to bike park, it has not let me down. If you are looking at a bike in this category, I would definitely check this one out.

So if you had the 8, you'd have had TRP Slate T4's, not the Orions, no?

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:
After a season of riding my Alpine Trail 8 I am happy to report that the bike held up really well! Before I go through the bike, here is what I swapped out:

- Chromag OSX bar
- Minion DHF 2.5 3c front tire
- Shimano ice tech brake pads front caliper only.
- Chormag contact pedals.

Highlights:
- the TRP orion brakes are fantastic! They feel like shimano and work super well. 1600 m decent in revy with no fade or issues at all.
- geometry... climbed really well and liked to go fast down. This bike checks all the boxes for a long travel modern enduro 29er
- this is my first 29er and I am not going back...stoked.
- rear shock is fantastic FOX float dpx2.
- pedals well for its travel.
- this bike is playful and fun to ride!

Things I would change:
- NX is just ok.
- Fox performance 36 is just ok. Small bump is not great.
- the stock tires do not work well in Kamloops dry loose terrain
- wheel set has held up well but getting something a bit stiffer would greatly improve the ride.
- size. I am right in the middle of the medium and large. I went with medium but I would have liked to try the large and medium back to back to see what fit better.

Overall, this bike has been great. From XC rides to bike park, it has not let me down. If you are looking at a bike in this category, I would definitely check this one out.

So if you had the 8, you'd have had TRP Slate T4's, not the Orions, no?

Nice catch! You are correct. The slate T4s have performed fantastic for me! I am a heavier rider who brakes late and these brakes have been awesome.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
knc87 wrote:
So 18/19 and 19/20 are the same bike? For example I found this review date back to May 2018.
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-ride-review-marin-alpine-trail/

Correct. Exact same bike. Its so good, why mess with a good thing.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
knc87 wrote:
So 18/19 and 19/20 are the same bike? For example I found this review date back to May 2018.
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-ride-review-marin-alpine-trail/

Correct. Exact same bike. Its so good, why mess with a good thing.

Haha, yea, I'll be looking for a deal on a used one.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
knc87 wrote:
mtnbikermitch wrote:
knc87 wrote:
So 18/19 and 19/20 are the same bike? For example I found this review date back to May 2018.
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-ride-review-marin-alpine-trail/

Correct. Exact same bike. Its so good, why mess with a good thing.

Haha, yea, I'll be looking for a deal on a used one.

I'm not sure what size you need, but the shop here in Kelowna is selling the Alpine Trail 7 (size Medium) at a really good discount right now: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2655767/

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 17:45 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
knc87 wrote:
mtnbikermitch wrote:


Correct. Exact same bike. Its so good, why mess with a good thing.

Haha, yea, I'll be looking for a deal on a used one.

I'm not sure what size you need, but the shop here in Kelowna is selling the Alpine Trail 7 (size Medium) at a really good discount right now: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2655767/

I'm a beginner...and I like the colour on the 8 haha...lol

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009540
Mobile Version of Website