Breathing Life Back Into Your Ride....... How?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Breathing Life Back Into Your Ride....... How?
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 1:02 Quote
englertracing wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
englertracing wrote:
I like the suggestion for the angle set and luftkappe.
sometimes 1 degree will cut it....
not a huge fan of the RWC needle bearings.
All new pivot bearings are a nice thing. the enduros are ok, they offer the max bearings with marine grease
New wheel bearings. Dont fall into the trap of thinking enduros are the thing to have, they are relatively low quality Chinese bearings, You would be much better served going to a bearing house and looking for NTN brand LLB suffix bearins, far better quality than an enduro or ezo.

tell us more about your bike and what could be improved

As said previously, this is a hypothetical question and just looking at people opinions.

its hard to answer because its a different story if its a 1999 fsr, or if your tired of your 2017 nomad 3.
It depends where the bike is lacking and what your doing with it right?

yup, you are totally right, apologies if my comment came across in the wrong way.

I guess as previously mentioned, are you looking to add some 'bling' to just fall in love again or are you looking to add a genuine upgrade what will improve your ride.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
I am all for 100% function over all else.
so a spring refresh is always good.
New derailuer and dropper cable. New bearings all round suspension, wheel, headset, bottom bracket. Shock and fork rebuild/modification/upgrade. New chain
Gotta get them butter so you stay in love with them.
if its rickety or even 2% rickety of course your not going to love them.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
Hey peeps.

Just a curious question..... you have your bike, you love riding it, but slowly you start falling out of love with it, you start hankering for a new bike, you fall out of love with it more, start thinking you will become a better rider on a fresh whip.

Then realisation hits. Your bike is more than up to the job, you remember you used to love it. You definitely don't need and wont feel the benefit of a new ride.

So how do you inject love back into your current ride? An upgrade here or there? A thorough break down, clean & lube?

Fresh points of contact? grips, saddle etc?

Maybe something off the bike to raise stoke levels? A new bit of kit? gloves, jersey etc?!

Lets hear your thoughts and opinions!

Bust it down, throughly clean it. Service forks & rear shock if it's air. Go for a new chain, grips, tires, and stem/bars too will help give it a new feel. Try new stuff - a different tire size, longer bars, shorter stem, etc. If you're feeling really frisky, paint it!

I personally follow the 3 year/$500 rule (I made this rule up, so I guess that might not make it a rule). If I have to spend more than $500 in parts upgrades, I buy a new bike or suffer with what I got. Once I hit 3 years, I just get a new complete. I stash away money in a secret savings account throughout the year to deal with the inevitable. If you ride enough, it's just part of the hobby. Accept it.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
Some great opinions here. Nice to see people recommending cheaper upgrades, not big-ticket items like a new fork and shock.

To go outside the scope of the question, I recommend buying cheaper bikes more frequently. A mid-level bike from four years ago is almost always better than an eight year old dream bike.

You can make an old bike feel pretty fresh with a new front tire, comfortable saddle, and slippery derailleur cable & housing. If it has tubes, convert to tubeless. If the bike doesn't already have 203 mm rotors, get some; many people will tell you they "don't need more power", but I've never met anyone who's downsized their rotors (other than serious XC racers, but they're weird Wink ).

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
justinmariano wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Hey peeps.

Just a curious question..... you have your bike, you love riding it, but slowly you start falling out of love with it, you start hankering for a new bike, you fall out of love with it more, start thinking you will become a better rider on a fresh whip.

Then realisation hits. Your bike is more than up to the job, you remember you used to love it. You definitely don't need and wont feel the benefit of a new ride.

So how do you inject love back into your current ride? An upgrade here or there? A thorough break down, clean & lube?

Fresh points of contact? grips, saddle etc?

Maybe something off the bike to raise stoke levels? A new bit of kit? gloves, jersey etc?!

Lets hear your thoughts and opinions!

Bust it down, throughly clean it. Service forks & rear shock if it's air. Go for a new chain, grips, tires, and stem/bars too will help give it a new feel. Try new stuff - a different tire size, longer bars, shorter stem, etc. If you're feeling really frisky, paint it!

I personally follow the 3 year/$500 rule (I made this rule up, so I guess that might not make it a rule). If I have to spend more than $500 in parts upgrades, I buy a new bike or suffer with what I got. Once I hit 3 years, I just get a new complete. I stash away money in a secret savings account throughout the year to deal with the inevitable. If you ride enough, it's just part of the hobby. Accept it.

what price point are you buying bikes it?
500 dollars i go threw on each bike every few months....

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009117
Mobile Version of Website