Disc brake to rim brake conversion Breezer Doppler

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Disc brake to rim brake conversion Breezer Doppler
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 17:25 Quote
I bought a Breezer Doppler to use as a commuter bike and would like to use my Copenhagen Wheel (electric assist) with it. The problem is that the Doppler has hydraulic disc brakes and the Copenhagen Wheel only works with rim brakes. I could probably get away with just the front brake and the electric regenerative braking provided by the Copenhagen Wheel itself, but if I need to stop hard and fast would be relying 90% on the front brake/tire traction.

Ideally, I would like to find a solution for installing rear rim brakes of some kind on the Doppler. It has ample braze-ons and a solid steel frame, so I feel like this should be possible; however, all the information I am finding is for going from rim brakes to disc brakes, not the opposite. Also need to work around full size fenders and a rear rack.

I would appreciate any ideas or product suggestions. Even a "don't bother, it'll be a nightmare" would be helpful if that's the case.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 13:30 Quote
Just looked at a photo of the bike. Ya, that will be difficult. You would need to do one of three things:

1. Have a frame builder braze on an appropriate set of studs for cantilever or v brakes on the seat stays. Then get the frame repainted.

2. Find some bolt on cantilever / vbrake studs and bolt them onto the bike. Will look fugly and probably mess up the paint ultimately.

3. Drill out the yolk between the seat stays and mount a set of road calipers or center pulls (like Paul makes) if you have enough space and can make the drop from the yolk to the rim center work with some set of brakes. Tektro makes three different reaches of side pull road calipers so you have a number of options for this drill version.

Personally, I wouldn't want to bugger up a good frame to do this. I'd look for a disc compatible electric hub and get a new rear wheel built out of that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008462
Mobile Version of Website