OneUp Dropper Sticking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
OneUp Dropper Sticking
Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
Same thing for me. If I put some grease under the collar it last two rides at the most. And now, what is even worst, is going down on its own.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
austenselk wrote:
I decided to forgo keeping my OneUp dropper, didn't feel its worth it to keep a dropper that you have to check or lube before nearly every ride. My preferences.
I'm on the fence about doing the same...but I just got a dirt bike so now I have a whole another toy to put $ into. did you sell your oneup, what'd you replace it with?

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
I actually returned it to the place I bought it from. I just put a standard seatpost back on until I find a worthwhile dropper to invest in.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
I have the same issues. So far the only solution ive found is to open it up clean out any grime, and regrease underneath the bushing.

I feel like this problem is primarily an issue if you are running the seatpost slammed (which seems funny because their whole thing was getting as long of a post as you possibly can and shimming it down...)

ive considered sanding down the outside of the bushing so its not as tight in clamp area...

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
bspot wrote:
I have the same issues. So far the only solution ive found is to open it up clean out any grime, and regrease underneath the bushing.

I feel like this problem is primarily an issue if you are running the seatpost slammed (which seems funny because their whole thing was getting as long of a post as you possibly can and shimming it down...)

ive considered sanding down the outside of the bushing so its not as tight in clamp area...

I've been emailing the company for a few weeks. I have followed their instructions and it still sticks after every ride. They just said there is an upgraded bushing that is suppose to fix this and they are sending it to me. Hope that help you

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 18:48 Quote
awesome! I will shoot them an e-mail as well.

I had dealt with them last year, and they send me a new post, but both the new and the old post faced the same issue. So i think the biggest problem is the pressure at the clamp, and even with carbon paste and a reverse seat collar I cant get it low enough to not stick.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
jarrod801 wrote:
I've been emailing the company for a few weeks. I have followed their instructions and it still sticks after every ride. They just said there is an upgraded bushing that is suppose to fix this and they are sending it to me. Hope that help you

I just got the same email response from OneUp about the upgraded bushing. Have you got yours yet? Hopefully that will actually fix this!

"We do have a new bushing that reduces friction and will resolve the issues you're having. If you can send us your order number or shipping address we'll get you one out."

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
ssphillips wrote:
jarrod801 wrote:

I just got the same email response from OneUp about the upgraded bushing. Have you got yours yet? Hopefully that will actually fix this!

"We do have a new bushing that reduces friction and will resolve the issues you're having. If you can send us your order number or shipping address we'll get you one out."

Mine was shipped today and their site says to allow 2-7 days to arrive. So one more week of applying lube to the black pole....

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
I've been having the same issue. slow return and doesn't want to extend the last inch. One up just sent me a new bushing but it actut made it worse. anything over 1nm on the clamp and it won't work at all. Frustrating because I really want to like this company. Especially since they are local. Definitely is the plastic bushing

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 15:50 Quote
I just got the new bushing in yesterday, but I havent installed it yet. The last week of riding here has been dry so the grease on the post has been keeping it nice and smooth for now.

I will give it a shot tonight and see if it makes any difference! Will give you guys an update.

Update: Just swapped them out, it seems to work about the same in the basement. The thickness of the bushing seems to be almost identical so perhaps its just the material that is suppose to have less friction? (even though it feels less smooth on the hand to be honest). The grey bushing from the rebuild kit also doesnt have that little lip at the top.

We will see how it holds up in the coming weeks!

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
bspot wrote:
I just got the new bushing in yesterday, but I havent installed it yet. The last week of riding here has been dry so the grease on the post has been keeping it nice and smooth for now.

I will give it a shot tonight and see if it makes any difference! Will give you guys an update.

Update: Just swapped them out, it seems to work about the same in the basement. The thickness of the bushing seems to be almost identical so perhaps its just the material that is suppose to have less friction? (even though it feels less smooth on the hand to be honest). The grey bushing from the rebuild kit also doesnt have that little lip at the top.

We will see how it holds up in the coming weeks!

Same, installed new bushing but haven't tried it yet due to tire side wall slashes....

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
So a quick update. Went on the first ride with the new bushing in the dropper. had about 2 instances on the ride where the dropper wouldnt come up fully and i had to grab it kind of with my thighs and bring it up.

So after all that its still a bit frustrating. Or perhaps my stubby legs are to blame because i need to have the dropper slammed :p

I think my next step is going to be taking some super low grit sand paper to one of the 2 bushings and trying to reduce the width of the bushing by a fraction of a millimetre. so that it can freely drop in to the dropper post around the seat clamp area.

Another option could be that my shock pump is insanely inaccurate... but it seems to work fine for my fork and shock so...

Let me know if anyone has had any breakthroughs!

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
bspot wrote:
So a quick update. Went on the first ride with the new bushing in the dropper. had about 2 instances on the ride where the dropper wouldnt come up fully and i had to grab it kind of with my thighs and bring it up.

So after all that its still a bit frustrating. Or perhaps my stubby legs are to blame because i need to have the dropper slammed :p

I think my next step is going to be taking some super low grit sand paper to one of the 2 bushings and trying to reduce the width of the bushing by a fraction of a millimetre. so that it can freely drop in to the dropper post around the seat clamp area.

Another option could be that my shock pump is insanely inaccurate... but it seems to work fine for my fork and shock so...

Let me know if anyone has had any breakthroughs!
I used mine today with the new bushing from the rebuild kit and it didn't stick at all for me. If it does ill email oneup again to warranty it

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
My post has developed the same symptoms, and if everything else fails like it did for me (i.e. cleaning, greasing with light fork grease, using max pressure, etc) you can sand down the inside of the plastic bushing and take away around 1/10mm of the material. After that the post should extend just fine again. You should use a very fine sand paper though so that you don't accidentally increase the friction and make matters worse.
Also don't take away too much material, or you'll unnecessarily increase the forward/left-right play of your post.

I'll contact OneUp to try to get that new bushing though, maybe it'll help.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
OneAlmostUp Dropper.
Just thought I'd add myself to this list with the same issues as the others - the post would extend up to the last inch (using a women's ruler) and I'd have to pull the rest up with my hand. I thought I'd just live with it because I wanted this company to do well. They make great products at a great price, and they're local.
I've been running the post like this for almost 2 years.
I'll try the fine sandpaper on the bushing trick and see if that remedies the issue.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008291
Mobile Version of Website