OneUp Dropper Sticking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
OneUp Dropper Sticking
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
chubby5000 wrote:
OneAlmostUp Dropper.
Just thought I'd add myself to this list with the same issues as the others - the post would extend up to the last inch (using a women's ruler) and I'd have to pull the rest up with my hand. I thought I'd just live with it because I wanted this company to do well. They make great products at a great price, and they're local.
I've been running the post like this for almost 2 years.
I'll try the fine sandpaper on the bushing trick and see if that remedies the issue.

When I emailed them. they sent me the maintenance kit for free and the updated bushing fixed the problem of sticking/not extending. if you are outside of the warranty the kit is only $15US

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
Same here.
It's aired up to ~280psi and gets really slow return and occasionally doesn't complete the last ~2cm of extension.

I usually just give it a spray of silicon lube and cycle it up and down a few times when I start noticing it getting slow (or after I clean my bike/chain) and that gets it going good again for a while. I'll reach out and see about the warranty bushing though, as the post is only about 6 months old.

Still way better than my old E13 dropper post, that thing was garbage.

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
So after not having much luck with the new bushing on the second ride out with it I decided to go get some sand paper. I purchased some extra-fine sanding pads from Canadian tire.

At first I ended up sanding the outside of the bushing until the bushing got to the point where I could insert it into the dropper post without me having to forcefully push it down. Next i also gave the inside of the bushing a very light sanding because I felt it could be smoother to the touch.

I left the seat collar torque the same as my last ride where I experienced the sticking. So far in the basement the seat post action seems to be significantly smoother and faster than before. It behaves the same as when I have the bushing off completely. If the rain stops Im hoping to field test it a few times this week, but im feeling hopeful!

Also note that the sanding took off so little material that its not really noticeable to the eye, so there doesn't seem to be any play or anything in the seatpost. If i keep experiencing sticking ill try to take off some more material.

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 21:38 Quote
Might as well add my name to the list. I am having the exact same problems too.

For those of you who have received instructions from the company on how to fix the problem (besides the new kit) can you post them here?

@chacou are you spaying the silicon spray (WD-40?) straight on to dropper post itself?

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
GreenJelly wrote:
are you spaying the silicon spray (WD-40?) straight on to dropper post itself?
yep, just a quick spritz on the stanchion, wipe with a cloth rag, cycle it a few times. I find this really helps for a ride or two, depending on dropper action, up/down. And to clarify it's not "WD-40", the cleaner, it's WD-40 brand Silicon Lube Spray, or it might even be PB Blaster brand, whatever is cheap at Home Depot.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
GreenJelly wrote:
Might as well add my name to the list. I am having the exact same problems too.

For those of you who have received instructions from the company on how to fix the problem (besides the new kit) can you post them here?

@chacou are you spaying the silicon spray (WD-40?) straight on to dropper post itself?

Below is a link oneup sent me so you can see the exploded view.
The bushing that is white on the post that they instruct you to grease is the problem one rhat makes the dopper stick.
Replace it by simply pulling it off since it has a slice and can expand. Use the grey bushing in the kit to replace it. Open it where the slice is. And thats it. I didnt use the rest of the parts in the repair kit until i do a full tear down. This new grey bushing solved the sticking problem for me. Hope this helps
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0558/5501/files/Dropper-V2-exploded-A.pdf?627&_ga=2.26686333.1176241340.1569256376-42981389.1552509108

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 14:43 Quote
Thanks @jarrod801 and @chacou

I'll give the silicon spray a go and see about ordering the brushing kit. Damn it's annoying. Cheers.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
And now the seat isn't coming up at all. I'm hoping I just need to add some air to seatpost.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
It seems like there's consensus that the issue is the plastic bushing...Has anyone tested their post with the collar/wiper seal un-threaded? I did, and my post shot up (almost scarily fast). Sliding the collar carefully up and down the post by hand seemed like the real friction causing issue in my case. Anyone else experience similar?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Nodaknat wrote:
It seems like there's consensus that the issue is the plastic bushing...Anyone else experience similar?
Yes, thus why I think the periodic silicon lube and/or light sanding alleviates this symptoms

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
chacou wrote:
Nodaknat wrote:
It seems like there's consensus that the issue is the plastic bushing...Anyone else experience similar?
Yes, thus why I think the periodic silicon lube and/or light sanding alleviates this symptoms
Or you could get the new bushing tha also gets rid of the issue. I use to add lube every ride. been 1 month with new bushing and 0 problems with sticking. worth it! and oneup will send it for free if you bought it direct from them

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
Same issue with my one up dropper. Been dealing it since new. It think it leaks air because, re pressuring it for a ride will fix it. I have a bike yoke (more expensive) in my other bike. Its 2 years old. I not done one bit of maintenance and it works perfect.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
I just had the same issue...sticky post that won’t return fully if at all. I found that sanding the white Delrin Plastic sleeve on the inside with a dowel fixed the issue for now. The post functions flawlessly. Seems like the tolerances are pretty small and sanding for 30 ish seconds was all it needed. Hope this helps.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007694
Mobile Version of Website