OneUp Dropper Sticking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
OneUp Dropper Sticking
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 23:46 Quote
eicca wrote:
jaycey wrote:
The good news is, the V1 service kit comes with a redesigned plastic top bush (which I thought was the problem from the start)
I have 2 of these posts now and they are both faultless after installing the new bush.

Happy days!

Also, watch out for corrosion build-up in the slots for the gold coloured keyways. This also contributes to sticky post syndrome.
Ensure you clean them out thoroughly when servicing your post.

Are you able to slam the post with the redesigned bushing without it locking up or dragging?

My post is never slammed, 3" of clearance to get my right saddle height.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
jaycey wrote:
eicca wrote:
jaycey wrote:
The good news is, the V1 service kit comes with a redesigned plastic top bush (which I thought was the problem from the start)
I have 2 of these posts now and they are both faultless after installing the new bush.

Happy days!

Also, watch out for corrosion build-up in the slots for the gold coloured keyways. This also contributes to sticky post syndrome.
Ensure you clean them out thoroughly when servicing your post.

Are you able to slam the post with the redesigned bushing without it locking up or dragging?

Mind giving it a try for me? I want to get a 210mm specifically for slamming it but if it binds up there’s no point.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 15:21 Quote
eicca wrote:
jaycey wrote:
eicca wrote:

Mind giving it a try for me? I want to get a 210mm specifically for slamming it but if it binds up there’s no point.

Having the seat post slammed is what caused most of the issues for the posters in this thread I believe. Otherwise I feel like it should work fine.

Mine is running great this season with my "sanded down" bushing and slammed into my seat tube. I still lathered the post up with carbon paste to help increase the friction so I dont need to tighten it as much.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
bspot wrote:
eicca wrote:
jaycey wrote:

Having the seat post slammed is what caused most of the issues for the posters in this thread I believe. Otherwise I feel like it should work fine.

Mine is running great this season with my "sanded down" bushing and slammed into my seat tube. I still lathered the post up with carbon paste to help increase the friction so I dont need to tighten it as much.

210mm slammed for me doesn't work in the slightest - go over 2.5nm and it's not going anywhere. f*cking disgrace.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
irollones wrote:
bspot wrote:
eicca wrote:

210mm slammed for me doesn't work in the slightest - go over 2.5nm and it's not going anywhere. f*cking disgrace.

Same here!
Installed my 210mm today and uncovered this same issue.
I have no choice but to run it slammed as that fits me perfectly.
Or the alternative is that I shim it down to 190mm and raise the post 20mm - but completely defeats the purpose of buying the post in the first place!

I’m going to contact OneUp tomorrow to find out what their latest plan is for this obvious design flaw.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
zeesaffa wrote:
irollones wrote:
bspot wrote:

Same here!
Installed my 210mm today and uncovered this same issue.
I have no choice but to run it slammed as that fits me perfectly.
Or the alternative is that I shim it down to 190mm and raise the post 20mm - but completely defeats the purpose of buying the post in the first place!

I’m going to contact OneUp tomorrow to find out what their latest plan is for this obvious design flaw.

Very interested to know what you learn.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
Same problems also. After reading some of these post seems to be the upper bushing causing the problems. Cleaned my post several times and the problem didn’t go away. So after reading up about upper bushing probably the cause I went and sanded down the outside of bushing some to take away material for better tolerances. Seems to be working fine for now. Not sure if the bushing is getting mashed down from riding or maybe swelling from oil grease. Seems to be working fine now.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 1:42 Quote
Have the same problem too. Was sent the new revised nylon bush but still had the sticking problem, so I just removed it and went from there. Its been like that for over 6 months now and has been working flawlessly. I'm not sure what the long term implications are but if it does die, I'll replace it with a Brand X one. They are cheap and super reliable, I have 3 other bikes with them and have had zero problems.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
Yeah. I think there has been too much hype around one up components. They certainly have some clever solutions but lack in quality. I have had problems with 2/2 of their products. Bushing that lasted 3 months on a pair of pedals and same issue with the post, with poor actuator design.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
I've found with the post it's good to:
1) lightly sand the bushing down a bit or get the "new" bushing. I sanded down the inside where it contacts the stanchion w/ 220 grit to remove just a bit of the tension, applied grease to it.
2) Semi-regularly pop the seattube collar, clean and apply light grease to the stanchion/bushing area. With seat compressed, loosen the collar all the way, then extend the seat to lift the collar exposing the bushing, wipe clean and apply fresh grease, I've been using Slickoleum.
This is about the only service I do on my OneUp dropper posts and they just keep going, occassionally I'll need to put in more air. I did fully clean/grease one earlier this season but that was after 2 solid years of riding. Both are 170mm V1.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
chacou wrote:
I've found with the post it's good to:
1) lightly sand the bushing down a bit or get the "new" bushing. I sanded down the inside where it contacts the stanchion w/ 220 grit to remove just a bit of the tension, applied grease to it.
2) Semi-regularly pop the seattube collar, clean and apply light grease to the stanchion/bushing area. With seat compressed, loosen the collar all the way, then extend the seat to lift the collar exposing the bushing, wipe clean and apply fresh grease, I've been using Slickoleum.
This is about the only service I do on my OneUp dropper posts and they just keep going, occassionally I'll need to put in more air. I did fully clean/grease one earlier this season but that was after 2 solid years of riding. Both are 170mm V1.

Thats basically what I have been doing all summer as well since I sanded down my bushing. It's been working well ever since. I also make sure to check the air every now and then and keep it at or right under 300 psi.

I had the same issues with the "new" bushing as the old one, but luckily since I now had two I wasn't worried about wrecking one of them with the sanding.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
Basically when I start noticing the return getting a bit slow or seeming to not reach full extension I'll take the 5 min to clean/grease the bushing & stanchion. If that doesn't get it back to normal, then I'll remove the saddle and add air, but usually all it needs is some grease and it's good to go for a while (I think I last did this in late June). Granted it's much more dry and dusty where I ride, I'd imagine if you're washing your bike a lot or riding in wet conditions you'd have to do this more often.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
I just found this thread while I was trying to figure out what is wrong with my V2 dropper. I just built up a new bike and decided to with this over my usual Fox Transfer. I wish I hadn't. My dropper is slammed down to the collar and I can't go past 2.5nm. I contacted OneUp and they said I should be using grip compound (I hate the stuff). That just feels like a hack to me. 2.5nm is way too low of a torque and the instructions say to torque the collar to manufacturer specs. Since I'm within 30 days, I think I'll just send this thing back.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 6:50 Quote
HAHA! Thanks to this thread my dropper is back to normal.

I have the 170mm drop v1. Been noticing the sticking was getting worse and have read about the issue of the bushings before but haven't seen any solutions. AND THEN i stumbled onto this thread haha!

I pulled out the top bushing, lightly sanded the whole outside surface first with 200 grit then 600. Cleaned the bushing, reinstalled it. Made sure to add a good amount of Slickoleum. Voila! Up - down - no issues.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
I bought the service kit to solve the sticking issue, anyone have any tips to remove and instal this three golden parts?
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040711
Mobile Version of Website