Has anyone debated 26" vs. 27.5"?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Has anyone debated 26" vs. 27.5"?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
Getting a new bike soon and debating whether I should stick with 26" or jump up to 27.5.
I ride a variety of terrain, mostly on the west coast and live in SoCal so everything from hardpack gravel to mossy loam.
Does that 1.5" really make that much of a difference?

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
Does anyone other than Walmart still sell a 26?

To answer your question: yes. It does make that big of a difference.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
Ghostintheskin wrote:
Getting a new bike soon and debating whether I should stick with 26" or jump up to 27.5.
I ride a variety of terrain, mostly on the west coast and live in SoCal so everything from hardpack gravel to mossy loam.
Does that 1.5" really make that much of a difference?

Wheel size makes less difference than the hype that surrounds it. The biggest difference comes from all the other changes that have happened since 26" was standard.

Several years ago I had a chance to ride very similar Stumpjumpers: one was 26" and one was 29", but otherwise nearly the same. The difference between mid-level 2.3" tires and high-end 2.4" tires was more significant than the wheel size.

I prefer 29" wheels, but I'd take a 650b - or even 26" - with great geometry, kinematics, suspension, and tires over a poor 29er.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
I feel like the only new 26” bike you’ll find is a plus version designed for smaller riders.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
26 is still more than fine. parts are cheaper as a bonus.

also, its only .75 difference, radii and all that.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
26 is still more than fine. parts are cheaper as a bonus.

also, its only .75 difference, radii and all that.

Agree. Just to be more accurate about wheel sizes, though, here are more accurate diameters with a 2.5" tire:

"26" = 26.8 in.
"27.5" = 28 in.
"29" = 29.5 in.

As you said, it's not much.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
It may not be that much different, but I sure love my 650Bs compared to the 26es I just came from. I've been noticing a lot fewer trips OTB lately. Of course, that could also be because of the slacker geometry...

If you consider that any little bit helps, then I'm all for a larger wheel. I'll be looking at a 29er next time.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
Falcon991 wrote:
Of course, that could also be because of the slacker geometry...

Exactly. Here's a 29er that will put you over the front faster than a 20" BMX:
photo

FL
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 2:02 Quote
if you are buying a new bike, in my opinion going 26inch will be a mistake.

its 'old tech', so don't make your new bike out dated before you even start.

having said that, if you are on a tight budget or are buying used, a higher spec 26inch bike might be better than a lower spec 27.5.

without a bit more info on what you have to spend, whether you want hardtail, full suspension etc, its hard to give too much advice.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Falcon991 wrote:
Of course, that could also be because of the slacker geometry...

Exactly. Here's a 29er that will put you over the front faster than a 20" BMX:
photo

they have got the HTA and STA reversed somehow......

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
I appreciate the input. I'm buying a used higher end bike, just new to me. I'm not sure I'm riding at a level where I'll notice a difference, but then again I've had enough things that seemed minor make pretty big changes to my riding.
Probably going to stick with 26" this time around, going from an '07 Spesh Enduro that I've been riding for the last 6 years to a carbon bike this time around, see what a light bike teaches me then move up to 650b. By then it should be the standard, though I have a suspicion 26" will be around in some form.
I had to break some bad habits stemming from my childhood dream of driving monster trucks and develop some "finesse" which probably looks more like an old drunk with a new leg.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
Ghostintheskin wrote:
[...] move up to 650b. By then it should be the standard, though I have a suspicion 26" will be around in some form.

26" has been dead for so long that, while you weren't looking, 650b became standard and is already on the decline! 29" is becoming the standard and it's possible 650b will eventually become only for rear wheels or Plus tires.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
Ghostintheskin wrote:
I appreciate the input. I'm buying a used higher end bike, just new to me. I'm not sure I'm riding at a level where I'll notice a difference, but then again I've had enough things that seemed minor make pretty big changes to my riding.
Probably going to stick with 26" this time around, going from an '07 Spesh Enduro that I've been riding for the last 6 years to a carbon bike this time around, see what a light bike teaches me then move up to 650b. By then it should be the standard, though I have a suspicion 26" will be around in some form.
I had to break some bad habits stemming from my childhood dream of driving monster trucks and develop some "finesse" which probably looks more like an old drunk with a new leg.

I had the same idea 2 years ago and bought a pivot 5.7 which was 26". It was stolen, im now on 27.5" 5.5
personally I don't think there is much wrong with a 26" but the problem is the geometry of all the bikes of the 26" era. That 5.7 was a pretty bitch XC bike with extra travel, and that is exactly how it handled, I used an angle set to slack it out,
I had it shredding before it went away but it was still a short TT, slack STA bike with a dropper in the minimum seat height was high for someone over 6'.

so basically get the newest bike you can...... even to the point of going alloy
priorities should be
1 geometry
2 geometry
3 suspension
4 suspension
5 weight
30980298348 frame material
and you can insert cost in between any two of those after geometry

lets back up,
how about yourself and your skill level and your terrain?

I mean if your like 5ft 8 or something it might be reasonable to go buy someones 10,000$ Ibis mojo 26" for 1500$-2000$ throw an angle set in it and a short stem and have a 27lb super bike thats "no good anymore" but that absolutely rips (thats what I wanted to do for my gf)
I feel theres sort of a scale thing, like an xs 29" bike is dumb as hell, and is likely to hit your feet when you turn the front wheel, and a 26" XXL is also a really stupid bike as 26" wheels are not so proportional to a 6ft 6 dude. and 1300mm wheelbase.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
englertracing wrote:
priorities should be
1 geometry
2 geometry
3 suspension
4 suspension

Absolute nonsense! It should be:

1. Geometry
2. Geometry
3. Geometry
4. Suspension

Seriously, though, listen to this guy. The Angleset or off-axis headset idea can help a bike with old geometry, though I'd rather have a bike with long reach and moderate head angle than short reach and slack head angle.

The general advice when shopping for old bikes would be:

- Size up as much as possible, while still accommodating a dropper post with a decent amount of drop.
- Put on a shorter stem.
- Consider some sort of angled headset.
- Don't spend too much. Better to get slightly old bikes more frequently than spend a lot and keep them until they're dinosaurs.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
I own two ht's, ome is 26" and the other 27.5". On natural trails the small wheels require much more input from the rider. Esp. on flatter gradients where gravity is not giving you any free speed there is a big difference. Both downhill and up 27.5 feels better and goes faster. The only situation where 26" is more fun is on groomed flow trails, esp. if they include pump sections. It's still slower, but a bit more fun than the bigger wheels.

That said, it's mostly the developments in geometry between my two bikes make the 27.5" so much better to ride everywhere. When I ride the 26" I know the small wheels are to blame for lack of efficiency, but the dated geometry is responsible for uncomfortable climbing and fear of OTB's.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010334
Mobile Version of Website