Has anyone debated 26" vs. 27.5"?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Has anyone debated 26" vs. 27.5"?
Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
I'm starting to think maybe building that ProFlex 855 isn't such a great idea.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
Ghostintheskin wrote:
I'm starting to think maybe building that ProFlex 855 isn't such a great idea.

Just install a -21° angled headset to match the front-centre length of a size Large Pole. We recently established this is a great way to breathe new life into an old bike.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 15:31 Quote
In all seriousness though, reading through these posts I've basically distilled it down to this:
27.5 = faster/smoother
26 = more fun

So I feel like it comes down to what's the more fun aspect of MTB to you, speed or variance. While I love going fast, I think for myself playing around on trails is where I get more enjoyment.
Of course, slopestyle bikes were mentioned in this context, but I'm after more of an XC/AM thing, and had basically decided on an Ibis, which was also mentioned. Feel like I'm on the right track.
I don't really follow MTB as a sport or read magazines or websites about it, I just have a bike and like to ride it. I don't believe that a bike's performance is diminished simply because a better model came out.
They aren't iPhones.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 16:07 Quote
Ghostintheskin wrote:
In all seriousness though, reading through these posts I've basically distilled it down to this:
27.5 = faster/smoother
26 = more fun

If smaller wheels were inherently more fun, large wheels wouldn't be as popular as they are.

Perhaps a better way to put it:

Small wheels: More agile, less stable
Large wheels: More stable, less agile

Go for small wheels if you like to dart around the trail, hop & pop, and don't mind having to dial back the speed a tiny bit when things get super rowdy.

Go for large wheels if you like the idea of adding some trophy truck feel to your ride.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
if you are buying a new bike, in my opinion going 26inch will be a mistake.

its 'old tech', so don't make your new bike out dated before you even start.

having said that, if you are on a tight budget or are buying used, a higher spec 26inch bike might be better than a lower spec 27.5.

without a bit more info on what you have to spend, whether you want hardtail, full suspension etc, its hard to give too much advice.

some sweet deals on used bikes outhere!! I bought a 2013 nomad c, through axle rear,with full xtr kit, hubs cranks, brakes, whole deal. with fox 36 for $1500 cnd in mint shape. I don't regret it one bit! its 29.2 lbs with flat pedals and 2.4 bontrager xr3 tires

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:54 Quote
Ghostintheskin wrote:
27.5 = faster/smoother
26 = more fun

So I feel like it comes down to what's the more fun aspect of MTB to you, speed or variance. While I love going fast, I think for myself playing around on trails is where I get more enjoyment.
Of course, slopestyle bikes were mentioned in this context, but I'm after more of an XC/AM thing, and had basically decided on an Ibis, which was also mentioned. Feel like I'm on the right track.
I don't really follow MTB as a sport or read magazines or websites about it, I just have a bike and like to ride it. I don't believe that a bike's performance is diminished simply because a better model came out.
They aren't iPhones.

Personally I'm having the most fun I've ever had on a 27.5 bike.
I did I have some concerns that going to larger diameter and wider rims would slow the bike down do the more gyroscopic affect. To prevent that I spent a ridiculous amount of money on wheels that were lighter then the ones on the previous bike and it seems to have paid off

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 3:14 Quote
Unless I am missing something here, isn't the first thing whether the bike fits or not. My son is taller than me and has a 29er. I tried one with the correct frame size and it is t is simply too big for me. I find 650b okay but having been on 26" for so long for what I want and enjoy, this is fine.

I tried a 650b for a couple of days at a trail centre hire and really could not justify spending a huge amount on something that did not deliver much more and I already had a perfectly good bike,

My daughter is short and even a 650b in a small size is unwieldy with this fashion for making the bikes ever longer. You reach a point where the stem needs to be back to front or you are lying down.

Unless you spend your time at competitive levels, get a bike that fits and you can enjoy riding. The small performance gains on the wheel sizes will be mostly unnoticeable. You see so many people riding bikes that are too big for them because of the push to 29er wheels and this longer/lower/slacker mantra.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 3:33 Quote
mark-p wrote:
Unless I am missing something here, isn't the first thing whether the bike fits or not. [...] The small performance gains on the wheel sizes will be mostly unnoticeable.

Absolutely. It's not unrealistic to fit a small rider on large wheels, though: 29ers are ubiquitous among generally petite female World Cup XC racers and common among EWS racers of all heights. It will be interesting to see how many female World Cup DH racers ride 29ers and whether any will choose a 29er front and 650b rear.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
On a natural trail 26 are just more work. You get less line choice and a higher chance otb.

That doesn't equal fun to me. But to some it may.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
if you jump AND trick, 26 wheels are better. For everything else, 27.5. Screw 29ers.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 16:37 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
if you jump AND trick, 26 wheels are better. For everything else, 27.5. Screw 29ers.

The 27.5 wheel size is actually just 1" larger than 26", and 29" is 1.5" larger again. Small differences.

BeaverCreaker, it seems you think 26 is a decent wheel size, 27.5 is generally better, and 29 is bad. This suggests the ideal size might actually be between 26 and 27.5. Maybe we should try 26.8.

... or maybe there's a lot more to handling and performance than just wheel size. 29 works better in some applications and I'm glad it exists. You can keep riding whatever makes you happy.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
reverend27 wrote:
On a natural trail 26 are just more work. You get less line choice and a higher chance otb.

That doesn't equal fun to me. But to some it may.

Yeah like the 26 is more snaggy, and the 27.5 just keeps on truckin

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
29ers dont suck, I completely see the purpose of them. I just won't ever buy another. I quite liked my Transition Sentinel, but would have liked it better with 27.5 I bet.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
I actually never understood why bike frames come in S, M, L etc but all have the same size wheels.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 23:21 Quote
I'm tall and somewhat heavy, and still don't like 29" wheels.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019948
Mobile Version of Website