Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
tom666 wrote:
See, I've always thought that carbon parts wouldn't really sit right on a steel bike - they're almost different value systems.

Carbon to me = new, flashy, weight focused, typically asian-made, high production numbers. I see carbon parts as being relatively short life - not sure how I feel like a 3-5 year old carbon handlebar for example.

Steel = more tried and true, small production numbers and a focus on craftsmanship, often made quite locally to where they're bought. Buyers tend to keep a steel bike for a long time and maintain it. Focus on reliability.

It seems like aluminium parts would sit better on a steel bike, particularly if they're nicely machined, domestically made parts.

However, I think I'm coming around a little. With wheels in particular carbon just makes a lot of sense - light wheels just make life better on a mountain bike.

Thoughts?

Nailed. My thoughts exactly.

Steel frame riders get that weight isn't everything (unless you race XC).

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
Aways wondered, as I see a lot of hardtails with sixth element or nextie..

As for bars had a pair of chromag Bza, while the steering was on point, they were pretty harsh, even the ride to work, my hands got a tad sore.

Got some enve m9s so far so good, would love to try some titanium bars..

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
Ti bars are worth the premium, and it's not that bad. A decent set of carbon bars is £100 ish?
Rust are about £195, and Kingdom are £165ish depending on the exchange rate - yes it's a lot, but the difference is the cost of e.g. one pair of tyres, and these things last. The raw set I have are 5 years old and I'll keep running them for as long as I can get 31.8 stems. Would have gone through at least two sets of carbon bars in that time due to scratches etc from crashes whereas Ti is very durable, so it's actually a saving Wink
You should buy some and help your bank balance. No need to thank me lol

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
TF Tuned are now a Kingdom bikes dealer by all accounts.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
tom666 wrote:
What do you guys think about running carbon parts on a steel frame?

E.g. Handlebar and wheels.

Is that blasphemy? Or do carbon wheels and bars make sense to save weight, get good ride properties etc?

I've ditched pretty much all carbon from my bike.

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
I run carbon We Are One wheels on my steel frames (have run them on ht and fully). I also run carbon bars from Terrain Control. http://terraincontrol.com/810mm-carbon-dh.html

To me both companies were companies I wanted to support and were making items I wanted.

photo
photo

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
What Sterl said ^^

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:36 Quote
Yowsers!! Look at those seatstays! 0-/

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
hardtailhonk wrote:
Project12 Vertigo
photo

wow, stunner

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 0:33 Quote
I have a feeling I have posted this before...

photo

It proves all steel full sus bikes don't need to look the same.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
I have a feeling I have posted this before...

photo

It proves all steel full sus bikes don't need to look the same.

Agreed! this is a great looking bike!

As is this peach! (a repost from the beginning of the year)

Portus - Der flotte Karl

I'm hard pressed to know which one I like the most. Confused

Posted: Nov 29, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
New steel frame arrived from Ferrum. Super pumped to get it built up. Unfortunately its going to be a mix of old and new parts to keep within budget. It was a cold night pulling it out of the box after work where I had some space to put everything as I pulled it out. Ill update with some pics of it all going together. Its not going to have the prettiest components but its going to still rip nicely.
New Custom Ferrum Steel frame.
New Ferrum frame set
New Ferrum frame set
New Ferrum frame set

Posted: Nov 29, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
Nice one! What's the frame weight? (Not that it matters, but it somehow looks both light and heavy )

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020939
Mobile Version of Website