Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
PVD was in the 2018 vote. I remember the comments section on the article lol

Yeah, he had the Blackbird in 2017 and the Glamorous Glennis in 2018. Both beautiful bikes.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
PVD Sopwith Camel - from PVD www

Looks like it would be fun to ride. I just spotted the bar is a Surly Sunrise bar - the same as I have on my Krampus.

His bikes are beautiful and I love the detailing but i'm not (yet) sold on the geo of the rear end.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 4:47 Quote
wrote:
Can you also make this a PVD free zone, due any thread where he is mentioned or where he gets involved seems to end up as a free for all! Remember the sexiest thread late 2018?

I added a comment on the opening thread about keeping things civil so hopefully that covers it.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
fartymarty wrote:

Looks like it would be fun to ride. I just spotted the bar is a Surly Sunrise bar - the same as I have on my Krampus.

His bikes are beautiful and I love the detailing but i'm not (yet) sold on the geo of the rear end.

Really cool bike, but no mud clearance for what we have had over the last six weeks or so! lol

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
Really cool bike, but no mud clearance for what we have had over the last six weeks or so! lol

How much mud clearance do you need? I'd say it has plenty.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
You wouldn't believe the mud we have had here recently, it's done nothing but rain for the last six weeks as it has been unseasonably warm.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
You wouldn't believe the mud we have had here recently, it's done nothing but rain for the last six weeks as it has been unseasonably warm.

If you are riding the type of soil that will clog up that amount of space then your local trail builders must hate you.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
wythall1 wrote:

If you are riding the type of soil that will clog up that amount of space then your local trail builders must hate you.

We're not riding the built trails because it is so bad, off piste only at the moment.
A large proportion of the trail sections at trail centres in the region are closed because of conditions.
we didn't actually ride this weekend to give the trails a chance and to give our drivetrains a chance of survival (gritty soil).

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:17 Quote
wythall1 wrote:

That's why I ride a 29+ bike (which fits 3" rubber) with 2.4s.

6 weeks? Try 3 months. It's been the wettest winter I have known (since 2000 when I moved to UK).

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
For those of you who have a mono pivot like Marino, Starling, etc., what is your take on modern shock tuning for this design? I am wondering how well coil and air shocks with custom damper tunes work for pretty mellow trail riding.

My goal is to have a frame built for my wife with modern geometry that will fit her well. I've considered a hardtail, but think that a FS will work better for more diverse riding. For reference, she has a rigid Niner and an Evil Insurgent, but probably won't be doing as much DH and park riding anymore.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
Mntneer wrote:
For those of you who have a mono pivot like Marino, Starling, etc., what is your take on modern shock tuning for this design? I am wondering how well coil and air shocks with custom damper tunes work for pretty mellow trail riding.

My goal is to have a frame built for my wife with modern geometry that will fit her well. I've considered a hardtail, but think that a FS will work better for more diverse riding. For reference, she has a rigid Niner and an Evil Insurgent, but probably won't be doing as much DH and park riding anymore.

My 2 pence worth - I'm running a Starling Murmur with the RS Deluxe RT3 that came with the frame. I have it stuffed full of tokens (4.5) and it works quite well. I never feel it bottom out but the o-ring is quite often off the end of the shaft. I was running it with 2 tokens previously and it still didn't bottom harshly.

When funds allow I want to try a coil spring - maybe an Ohlins or EXT (if I can afford it). I tend to like my bikes plowy rather than poppy so it will probably suit my riding style.

Joe at Starling runs EXT and Ohlins so they should work fine. Any good shock tuner should be able to set it up for how you want it to ride. Before I bought the Murmur I spoke to Stendec Racing and TF Tuned (UK based shock tuners) and they said they preferred a straight rate frame as it made tuning the shock easier.

Edit - Drop @Phutphutend (Joe at Starling) a PM.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 12:36 Quote
If you don't need big hit bottom out support it will be fine.

On the single pivot I had built I was running a CCDB Air CS. I could find a setting that felt good on most trail but it would bottom hard on bigger impacts at top speed. It's going to sit into it's travel a bit as it want to easily give up travel take this into account with the bb height. To get the bb to ride higher you'll need to run higher pressure...and it will then ride firmer off the top. The CCDB Air is pretty linear and a shock with more ramp will feel a bit better. Go with something you can get a small air can for, this is not meg neg territory.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 0:03 Quote
From Cjell Mon interview in Singletrack Mag. Makes me wanna put some braced riser bars on the Murmur...

Makes me want to slap some braced risers on the Murmur...

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 0:13 Quote
Mone - Trail
Mone - Trail

Mone - Triplane Fork
Mone - Triplane Fork

Mone - Mad Max
Mone - Mad Max

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 4:11 Quote
NAHBS Oddity Cycles
NAHBS Oddity Cycles

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008668
Mobile Version of Website