Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Posted: May 22, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
Well, here it is finally finished! The New wheels have eventually arrived Big Grin ........

AM9 With new Industry Nine Hydra Enduro S Carbon Wheels.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
Stunner. How's it ride?

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
Stunner. How's it ride?

Thank you very much!
It's only been on a short ride so far as I was waiting for the wheels, but excellent! Rides just like the AM7, but with more speed as my legs are getting older! lol

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
Well, here it is finally finished! The New wheels have eventually arrived Big Grin ........

Pretty much nailed that build! Stunning!

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
Thanks mate! I'm pretty pleased with it. There were a few bit that I wanted, but as we all know its almost impossible to get hold of some components at the moment.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
Thanks mate! I'm pretty pleased with it. There were a few bit that I wanted, but as we all know its almost impossible to get hold of some components at the moment.

Definitely had the right idea buying a donor for most parts but now even that’s virtually impossible! Seeing as you’ll keep it forever there’ll be plenty of time to get other parts when they eventually become available.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
Dav82 wrote:
wythall1 wrote:

Definitely had the right idea buying a donor for most parts but now even that’s virtually impossible! Seeing as you’ll keep it forever there’ll be plenty of time to get other parts when they eventually become available.

Spot on there! tup

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
wythall1 wrote:

What bits are you after? I've spent months slowly getting bits for the new Swarf and think I've finally got everything. The hardest part was a Garbaruk melon chainring.

The bike looks stunning as it is with those new wheels!

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
photo
photo
My Marino odyssey has come to an end. After several weeks I got a lot of communication in short order. My bike was built and shipped within a 1 month period, with about 7 or 8 emails in that time. The frame was shipped and arrived within a week. Start to frame in my possession was about 9 months. I can’t say that I would do it again. I’ve personally found the process frustrating due to the lack of transparency on where I sat in the queue.
The good:
+It seems to be what I ordered in terms of geometry. My measuring may not be the most accurate but it seems to be about right
+it’s mine and it’s beautiful to me
The not so good:
-the frame was damaged on arrival. The iscg tab on the bottom of the bb was bent due to poor packing. Given my difficulty installing the bb as well I’d venture to guess the drive side bb shell is slightly bent as well
-the headtube is twisted. It’s not too bad but clearly it’s twisted. It seems one side was overheated while welding which caused the twist.
-The iscg tabs don’t allow mounting of a chainguide without spacers. If mounted flush the chainguide interferes with the swingarm.
-no way to confirm it’s the Reynolds 725 I paid for. I’d have settled for the sticker

I can’t wait to ride it. I know this post sounds a little Debbie-downer but I am really excited. I didn’t factor in how long this bike was gonna be so I’m waiting on a new brake hose for my rear brake. I’m gonna run it mullet with a 130 fork when I’m due for my next service.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
matther01 wrote:
wythall1 wrote:

What bits are you after? I've spent months slowly getting bits for the new Swarf and think I've finally got everything. The hardest part was a Garbaruk melon chainring.

The bike looks stunning as it is with those new wheels!

Thank you very much! I'm pretty pleased with how it looks now.
Most of all I wanted an XTR shifter, but have had to make do with the 12 speed XT one that I had. Also I'm using some RT86 brake rotors that I already had used as I cannot find new ones anywhere. I did originally some months ago buy some XTR rotors as I was having the i9 Hydra hubs as centrelock, but they were going to take around another 3 months on what I waited for the Hydra's with 6 bolt. It's a little frustrating but other than that it's there or there abouts.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
matther01 wrote:
photo

Can someone tell me who made this frame?

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
poncho467 wrote:
matther01 wrote:
photo

Can someone tell me who made this frame?

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-coal-bikes-84p/

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
photo
photo
My Marino odyssey has come to an end. After several weeks I got a lot of communication in short order. My bike was built and shipped within a 1 month period, with about 7 or 8 emails in that time. The frame was shipped and arrived within a week. Start to frame in my possession was about 9 months. I can’t say that I would do it again. I’ve personally found the process frustrating due to the lack of transparency on where I sat in the queue.
The good:
+It seems to be what I ordered in terms of geometry. My measuring may not be the most accurate but it seems to be about right
+it’s mine and it’s beautiful to me
The not so good:
-the frame was damaged on arrival. The iscg tab on the bottom of the bb was bent due to poor packing. Given my difficulty installing the bb as well I’d venture to guess the drive side bb shell is slightly bent as well
-the headtube is twisted. It’s not too bad but clearly it’s twisted. It seems one side was overheated while welding which caused the twist.
-The iscg tabs don’t allow mounting of a chainguide without spacers. If mounted flush the chainguide interferes with the swingarm.
-no way to confirm it’s the Reynolds 725 I paid for. I’d have settled for the sticker

I can’t wait to ride it. I know this post sounds a little Debbie-downer but I am really excited. I didn’t factor in how long this bike was gonna be so I’m waiting on a new brake hose for my rear brake. I’m gonna run it mullet with a 130 fork when I’m due for my next service.

How was the maiden voyage on your new bike?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
It rides great. Geometry is exactly what I wanted and ordered. BB was too low for 27.5 so I swapped in 29 front and rear and it is perfect now (thank you sliding dropouts). Ride quality has been very nice. Geo stayed very much the same with the wheel swap, just raised the bb up high enough I’m not pedal smashing anymore. Wound up with a 150mm fork but since I swapped both wheels it didn’t affect much geo wise.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:

I am glad I got my marino used and cheap on pink bike. I wish cotics were not so dang expensive. I will have to ride the marino for a long time while I save up for a cotic.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018109
Mobile Version of Website