Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 13:20 Quote
Has anyone ridden a Project 12? Im lusting after that vertigo frame...

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 18:41 Quote
Unless things have changed you'll have to do some gymnastics to get one to the U.S. You have a friend in Europe who can act as a middleman?

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 23:21 Quote
phazedplasma wrote:
Has anyone ridden a Project 12? Im lusting after that vertigo frame...
They are well nice. PM @suravida, I'm sure he can help.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Unless things have changed you'll have to do some gymnastics to get one to the U.S. You have a friend in Europe who can act as a middleman?

I did not know that...bummer

Looks like that new REEB is in my future

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 9:16 Quote
Until now my liability insurance got crazy expensive if I wanted USA and Canada also covered. I build very few bikes so I have to raise prices quite alot then. However, in my new workshop there are a couple of other brands (11ants, challenge recumbents among others) and we are looking into joining forces on several fronts, but also insurances. If all works out the USA might be an option. But still a pretty costly one probably seeing how shipping prices are at the moment. (And all other prices....) But the Reeb is a lovely machine, I really love the rasta one that's on the instawebs.
If anyone wants to try my personal high pivot Vertigo: I'll be in Les 2 Alpes and Aosta next week. ;-)

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 23:24 Quote
Love it that smaller builders read these forums and share some infos. That makes it much more personal.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 1:15 Quote
me too. this also means, the things we say, like, and discuss find their way into bike development. because the big brands only do what these small builders did 5 years ago...

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 19:10 Quote
First steel frame, and also my first hardtail

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 0:35 Quote
How are you finding the Stylus. Afer many years on 29 (straight from 26) i'm getting very 275 curious and the Stylus is right up there on the list.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 12:53 Quote
Has anyone had a Marino full suspension? How was/is it?

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:

I have one. I bought it used so it is not the exact geo I would pick. It runs pretty good. Doubt I'd order a custom one unless I did the high chain stays. Rear end is pretty flexy and getting the rear shock to feel good is a challenge. Fun experiment but my next fs bike will be something different.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 3:42 Quote
I have one. I chronicled my process pretty extensively in this thread. I enjoy the bike a lot. It’s usually the first bike I reach for. My rear triangle does not suffer from untoward flex. I’m riding mine with some carbon hoops and it doesn’t fee a lot different than my spire in terms of tracking. I did mention to them I’m a bigger guy and they gussetted the bike a little extra in some spots.
Buy a nice shock to put on it. Crap shocks with specific tunes are hard to mate up with a single pivot bike. CCDB or other shocks with broader tune ranges will make it easier to tune your rear end. The other option is having your shim stacks rebuilt for whatever you’re personal use (most good suspension centers can do this).
In the end I would do it again. I’m considering building another long travel bike to run at the park.
TLDR,
You get what you pay for.
You really should know what you’re doing in terms of geo before embarking on this, or just copy something that you like.
Don’t expect a hands on build process.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 4:51 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:

I've got one and had it about a month, so its still new, but i like it.
It took 6 months to be built and delivered.
I spent a while in advance thinking about what i wanted from the geometry and mine is spot on, it is the best fit of a bike I've ever had, no compromise on the geometry anywhere.
It rides really well, I've got a cane creek inline air on and I'm reasonably happy with it set up as it has a wide range of adjustment.
I really haven't noticed any unwanted flex, the bike it replaces was carbon, they obviously feel different, but it isn't a noodle.
It was only supposed to replace my canyon strive, but I'm so happy with the way it rides I can't see myself using my short travel full sus much, so that will probably be up for sale too.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 7:52 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
I have one. I chronicled my process pretty extensively in this thread. I enjoy the bike a lot. It’s usually the first bike I reach for. My rear triangle does not suffer from untoward flex. I’m riding mine with some carbon hoops and it doesn’t fee a lot different than my spire in terms of tracking. I did mention to them I’m a bigger guy and they gussetted the bike a little extra in some spots.
Buy a nice shock to put on it. Crap shocks with specific tunes are hard to mate up with a single pivot bike. CCDB or other shocks with broader tune ranges will make it easier to tune your rear end. The other option is having your shim stacks rebuilt for whatever you’re personal use (most good suspension centers can do this).
In the end I would do it again. I’m considering building another long travel bike to run at the park.
TLDR,
You get what you pay for.
You really should know what you’re doing in terms of geo before embarking on this, or just copy something that you like.
Don’t expect a hands on build process.

Cool. Thanks for the advice

I have had two frames (one will be a single speed hardtail and one a rigid bikepacking bike) built by them so familiar with process with them

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007650
Mobile Version of Website