Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 4:37 Quote
@Pyro - I'll pm you so we can get back to all things steel.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 4:58 Quote
Right.

Here's a photo of a steel bike for compensation:

Early morning in Sweden

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 5:23 Quote

Damn, that looks nice.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 9:12 Quote
scrap steel in its natural habitat.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 11:12 Quote
That’s awesome…

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 11:54 Quote
So special and so good looking, dig it all day.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 9:26 Quote
nullzwo wrote:

I'd like to see more photos of this one.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
Doogster wrote:
nullzwo wrote:

I'd like to see more photos of this one.

there's a dedicated photo album
in my set, "pre-war klunker". it only holds the first build, i might add some photos tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
Nullz - yes please. It's stunner.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 0:14 Quote
you asked for it, here you go. even more photos are in the album.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 0:18 Quote
How does it ride?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 0:40 Quote
well, it has loads of flex in it, so it has a very supple and comfortable ride feel. the big tires on i40 rims help a lot to this, it basically glides noise- and effortlessly. it's very much a cruiser, meant to go slow, but going fast is the funniest thing on it (if you're into near death experiences, that is). HT angle is around 65°ish with about 70 mm fork rake. this plus the long wheelbase makes it very planted at high speeds. cornering becomes just a kind of guessing game because of the flex.

it's a perfect bike for leisure strolls, pub rides, walking the dog, chasing e-bikers and motobecane man-bun hipsters (the creaking BB adds a lot to that) or non-ambitious gran fondo gravel rides. and it will always do for a nice chat with strangers, whether they are bike people or not.

€: the frame is a 1934 wanderer half-racer from chemnitz, germany. parts are mixed old and new from all kinds of cycling subcategories and eras. one day i might write a full rundown of the history and changes i made to the frame, as well as the parts involved.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 7:22 Quote

Individuality & characterful

Love it, modern day bikes can’t compete

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 7:48 Quote
Looks like you ditched the cotter cranks in the recent photos. What is on there now?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
these cranks were utter crap and disintegrated within the first 5 miles of riding. i removed the cups from the BB shell only to find that a readymade BSA shell with 40mm OD would slip in like a glove (with some help from a vice). so this went in, and i secured that with a single M8 bolt to stop it from turning when tightening the BB. so now i can mount any given 68mm BSA crankset. for now, they're dartmoor keipo bmx cranks. but it might be xx1 carbon in the future, or hammerschmidt, a gates carbon drive... who knows?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013186
Mobile Version of Website