Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Author Message
O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 21:52 Quote
Swapped out my Growler for something a little fancier and managed to find a Rootdown in stock and built it up just in time for a trip to the Yukon. Stoked on it.


Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 7:53 Quote
nullzwo wrote:


This is so cool. I feel like in some surreal steampunk future I'm going to be in a warzone tasked with delivering a message to a trench on the front line and that bike is what I'm riding to deliver the message on, swerving in and out of mortar fire - all gas no brakes


I might also ride it to the pub

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:
Swapped out my Growler for something a little fancier and managed to find a Rootdown in stock and built it up just in time for a trip to the Yukon. Stoked on it.


That's a fine looking Rooty. Let us know how it rode.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 8:00 Quote
tom666 wrote:

I feel like in some surreal steampunk future I'm going to be in a warzone tasked with delivering a message to a trench on the front line and that bike is what I'm riding to deliver the message on, swerving in and out of mortar fire - all gas no brakes


Tom - given how things are going that future maybe nearer than we all hope... altho let's hope not.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 9:16 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
tom666 wrote:

I feel like in some surreal steampunk future I'm going to be in a warzone tasked with delivering a message to a trench on the front line and that bike is what I'm riding to deliver the message on, swerving in and out of mortar fire - all gas no brakes


Tom - given how things are going that future maybe nearer than we all hope... altho let's hope not.

I was browsing on YT earlier and saw a link to a video on how to build a survival bunker that had 195 million views. Eek

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
commental wrote:
fartymarty wrote:
tom666 wrote:

I feel like in some surreal steampunk future I'm going to be in a warzone tasked with delivering a message to a trench on the front line and that bike is what I'm riding to deliver the message on, swerving in and out of mortar fire - all gas no brakes


Tom - given how things are going that future maybe nearer than we all hope... altho let's hope not.

I was browsing on YT earlier and saw a link to a video on how to build a survival bunker that had 195 million views. Eek

Hahaha

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 9:21 Quote
People would be killing each other within a week, cannibalism is on the cards if there’s enough water...

I’ll try & ride steel til some steel enters my brain or body

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 9:29 Quote
funnily, a friend of mine is just considering buying a bunker in the alps, which might not be the worst idea. at least i ca ride there in style Big Grin

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 11:20 Quote
I stayed in The Bunker in Verbier once. I think I'd probably rather die than do that again.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 11:57 Quote
Anyone here got any projects for the winter months lined up ??

I have to build my Shan or I’ll be bored shitless, don’t know whether to make it Trail/AM , or just raw the f*cker..single speed etc, maybe a mullet! 26 rear.
Maybe leave paint on, stick some a Mavic Deemax wheelset on it - XT or GX 11spd , Shigura brakes blah blah boring

Nobody wants to buy it, unused in box, largely worthless, so I might as well strip it down to raw

Best anti-rust spray/paint? Tried & tested only please.. scoured the net already

Solid front end ... I don’t know

What I do know is that I’ll be looking for pointers as I go from you guys here

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Copper sulphate on raw steel, then clear coated gives a nice patina.


Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 12:34 Quote
what he said. coaster brake wheelset and she's good to go. scrap all that modern twisty-pully-bouncy stuff and have some childish fun instead.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 12:42 Quote
Single speed, rigid - lotsa fun, no maintenance.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
Wait a second...what frame size is your Shan, Soup?


 
Active Forum Threads
15 mins ago - 2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
47 mins ago - Sexiest Ebike Thread. Please no posting of your own bikes. Discussion is welcome!
48 mins ago - Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
1 hours ago - Where'd you ride today?
1 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
1 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
2 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
2 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
2 hours ago - SRAM MTH 716 hub end cap for Rockshox convert to fit Fox fork? Need help
2 hours ago - Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
2 hours ago - Transition Sentinel
2 hours ago - Low speed compression question
2 hours ago - 2022 Session...shock question
2 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
3 hours ago - Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
3 hours ago - Anyone upgraded the wheels on their Commencal Absolut? What's the rear hub width?
3 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
3 hours ago - Transition repeater mullet setup is it possible ?
3 hours ago - 30mm vs 35mm I.W. rims... Pros/cons?
3 hours ago - Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]
4 hours ago - Show your e-MTB
6 hours ago - Specialized phenom expert vs brooks cambium
6 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
8 hours ago - Sexiest DH bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
11 hours ago - Reasonable ways to buy Sworks Epic or Scott Spark RC HMX frameset in California

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010911
Mobile Version of Website