Haven't rode in years help finding a new bike.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Haven't rode in years help finding a new bike.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 18:09 Quote
So it seems like a few things have changed since I was last riding. Do regular old 26in not really exist anymore? I see there are new sizes. Anyway, I've been looking for a new bike and I'm thoroughly overwhelmed.

I currently have an old Santa Cruz Bullit I think it's a 2001. It has a 888 VF 170mm fork, 5th element rear, Shimano Saint brakes and drivetrain, and intense intruder 2.5" x 26" tires. The bike weighs 45lbs. The bike is way too heavy, squishy, and overkill for me.

Last time I rode was in 2010 at Whistler. I rented a Kona garbanzo it had a single crown fork maybe a Marzocchi 66? The Kona felt much better to me than my bullit. It felt lighter and more maneuverable also I felt a little lower and more stable.

I rode dirt merchant, A-line, and crabapple hits
the whole time I was at Whistler to give you an idea of what I like. I still felt like the Kona was more bike than I needed for this type of terrain and a little lighter and less travel may have been better.

I live in the northeast so I won't be riding Whistler. I just noticed Mountain Creek is open again so I'll be going there and probably Highland (never been there)

I'm not sure if it makes sense to try to keep my bike and swap out for lighter components like a rear air shock and lighter single crown or if that is a waste of time/money.

I was also thinking of going with way less travel and lighter something like an SC 5010. It seems like it would be more fun and tossable in the air. But maybe I'm overcompensating and going too light?

I'll be buying used and I'm ok with older bike suggestions. I'm trying not to spend thousands of $$. Also, I'm 5'7 140lbs I rode a 29" once and it felt awkwardly big to me.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
27.5 is probably going to be your best bet. Hitting the 30lb mark with something pet capable should be easy. The 5010 is fun, playful. But I think your best bet would be to demo some new bikes to get a feel for all the new stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014272
Mobile Version of Website