Itching to get out and ride!

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Itching to get out and ride!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
Hey guys/gals,

I haven't ridden in 10 years or so. Bought myself a Giant Stance at the end of 2018, only rode once. I've been thinking about a Fat Bike purchase.

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Looking for some feedback on when I can ride? Should I get a Fat bike? when is it safe to hit the trails again( without causing damage?

I'm really itching to get out there again.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
I hit the trails today in st.catharines. Big mistake as they were really sloppy. I was covered in mud after two mins and had to turn around. I had figured it was still cold enough that the trails would still be hard but that wasn't the case. So don't go yet...........unless you like the slop.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
Possibly Turkey Point...

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 17:42 Quote
What are your thoughts on a fat bike. Are they worth it for the shoulder seasons of winter?

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
For sure they are! Fatbikes have come a long way, they are a ton of fun to ride and are more and more like your summer bike in terms of geometry. Try one out, you'll be surprised! I believe Hardwood Hills sells off there fleet of Fatbikes every year. Might be able to score a deal from there. They are rentals, but I'll bet they are very gently used!

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
roncharles wrote:
What are your thoughts on a fat bike. Are they worth it for the shoulder seasons of winter?

I thought fat biking was a moronic fad and ill-suited for the purpose of riding bikes....until I rode one.

They are incredible tools for riding sub-optimal conditions and hold their own even when the trails are good. I have used mine way more than I ever imagined I would and highly recommend them to anyone interested in getting out there when there is snow, ice, mud and sand to be ridden on.

If you are like me, somewhat past your prime Wink and have any injuries that you need to be cognizant of, they generally offer more comfort and are inherently safer than a conventional bike. My C spine is fused, have broke both of my ankles and one wrist, so I really try to avoid going through those kind of things again if I can help it. Fat tires offer me that opportunity by providing better traction, more stability and a plusher ride than their leaner cousins.

....just my opinion, but if I were to be getting back into biking I'd spend the money to get something with good, modern trail geometry and componentry that I could live with for an extended amount of time. I'd buy a bike that can handle 5.15 " tires and then invest in a set of 29+ wheels for summer riding. Actually, I already did, but kind of took the convoluted route and bought a lot of stuff to suite my needs as I progressed along the way instead of making the purchase outright. A lot of $ was spent on upgrading things that would've been more economical to get with a complete bike. Not that I necessarily have any regrets, because spending money on bike parts and wrenching is part of the whole experience.

There are a lot of really good affordable bikes out there and since the novelty factor has tapered off a bit, it's become more of a buyers market. It's a great time to be alive if you're in to this kind of thing.

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
Great advice. Thanks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009311
Mobile Version of Website