Caliper brake pad Adjustment

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Caliper brake pad Adjustment
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 14:32 Quote
I replaced the brake pads on my Avid Elixir 5 R's and all was good. A while later though ive started to have to pull the levers down to my handle bars, the pads are still almost mint, and ive had my brakes bled twice now. Ive been told its because I cannot adjust the distance from pad to disc.

Can anyone recommend me new calipers? or any other suggestions?
Im not hardcore into doing the maintenance myself so sorry, im pretty ignorant

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
KyleActive1 wrote:
I replaced the brake pads on my Avid Elixir 5 R's and all was good. A while later though ive started to have to pull the levers down to my handle bars, the pads are still almost mint, and ive had my brakes bled twice now. Ive been told its because I cannot adjust the distance from pad to disc.

Can anyone recommend me new calipers? or any other suggestions?
Im not hardcore into doing the maintenance myself so sorry, im pretty ignorant

You're right that you're having this issue because the pads are just squeezing the gap between them and your rotor until they finally engage but at that point your level is really close to the handlebars.

Remove wheel, insert something slightly thinner (but also hard) than your brake rotors, squeeze brake lever. This will move the starting point of the pads closer to the rotor. It's easy to go too far with this and now the pads will rub on the rotors and you have to push the pads apart again and restart. You'll also have to do this again once the pads have worn down and the gap has grown again.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
Can you see visually if the pads are centered over the rotor? When you pull the lever, do the pads make contact equally?

Elixirs were known to be difficult to bleed (air trapped inside lever) so if the levers don't feel firm enough, that might be the issue.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008325
Mobile Version of Website