Love/Hate and Industry 9

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Love/Hate and Industry 9
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
email to I9:

"Hey I9!

Kudos on building a indestructible wheelset. I bought a set of 29er wheels from you in 2012 with the old 'legacy/Enduro' hubs, DH spokes and Flow ex rims. The wheels have outlasted my Tallboy LTC frame and just about all of my other components, with only one wheel true and one broken spoke in 7 years. Even the original bearings are in great shape Big ups!

I'd like to continue to use the wheels but am running into compatibility issues fitting the rear wheel into a boost frame.

Any insight or adapter recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Nick"

I9 response:

"Unfortunately those hubs went out of production before Boost spacing was invented. We have no way of converting Legacy to boost."

Here are just a couple observations from the exchange:

-I9 nine emailed me back but their response is listed in it's entirety above. Didn't even get a hello, and the message I'm getting from I9 is that they don't care if I can keep an older set of their wheels spinnin'
-There's no such thing as an investment set of wheels anymore. Eventually, you'll be forced into incompatibility.
-bike components are becoming disposable/quickly unusable with rapid standard changes
-Moving forward, we need to know that a company will support it's products through standard changes. It would be crazy easy for I9 to make adapters/options for their products. Alas, there are none.
-Industry 9 lost a customer.

Any advice on how I can adapt these wheels to a boost frame?

Sincerely,

a guy trying to update his ride

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
I mean, some people have a conversational email style, I wouldn't read too much into that. The fact that you've gotten seven years out of a relatively high-wear item is pretty impressive. They don't build an adapter or anything like that so I'm not sure why you'd want a wordier "no". A lot of people would be saying "well shoot, seems like these were a solid product, I'll be going to these guys for another." The only wheel maker I can think of off the top of my head who made a Boost adapter kit for their wheels was Specialized.

That said, would the Boostinator be right for that hub? I'm not that familiar with that hub. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/boostinator

You can also rebuild that rim around a new boost hub, like a DT Swiss 350. It'll cost a bit, but not as much as a new complete wheelset.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
Personally, I like Nick's response or "style" of response - short and straight to the point. No need to read 6 sentences for a "No".

As for the adaptors, I'm not sure if those would work with i9's lacing - based on their response I would think it's not going to work, but you could always contact problem solvers to double check.

Being in the same situation over a year ago - I just bit the bullet, sell the old wheelset and upgraded to a boost wheelset to avoid the headache.

FL
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UULT4iNWfrg
Maybe go love/hate on some dt350s they can take it

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
I wouldn't tell you how to feel about how they said what they said, but they responded and promptly so that's credit to them. Oftentimes you wait forever.

As to the actual issue, no hub can easily be converted to Boost. The layout of everything is different, meaning you have to shim both sides in order to maintain proper disc placement/chain line/dish. The Problem Solvers things are a bit of a bodge, but you might use them. To change your hub, you'd need - at the very least - a new hub shell and a new axle. Total wheel rebuild.

If you were switching from QR to 12x142 axle, they have that. If you switched from 20mm fork to 15mm, they have that. But the width change to Boost isn't something hubs can readily do. I know of no hub maker who could give a meaningfully different answer. I could be wrong on that, but I don't think I am.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
Kind of makes me want to buy i9 wheelset when I upgrade. At least it may last until the standards change. Like next year when they come out with...it IS frustrating unless you have unlimited budget.

Sounds like there are options at least.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
If they are 142 and you are going to148 just try fitting it in there. It's 3mm per side tighten it down that amount of flex is nothing to a frame.

The big thing is if your brake will have the necessary adjustments range.

There was a thread somewhere where people tried this and much surprise it worked both ways boost in no boost and no boost in boost.

It's like a industry secret or something.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009884
Mobile Version of Website