Hightower LT - should I buy YT Jeffsy?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Hightower LT - should I buy YT Jeffsy?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
Hey guys - I need some help. Is anyone currently riding a 2019 Jeffsy with the new updated geometry?

I was riding my 2018 YT Jeffsy and loved it - so much so that i talked myself in to buying the new 2019 jeffsy (which isn’t set to arrive until May 15).

In the meantime I picked up a 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower LT with a fox 36 factory 160 on the front and an x2 in back. At first I didn’t like the bike but I am quickly growing attached to it. It’s an absolute beast down the gnarl.

So - do I keep the Hightower, save about $800 so I can upgrade ahope brakes and such - Orr....do I keep my jeffsy 2019 29er order and just sell the Hightower like I originally planned?

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
I don't see any reason to get the Jeffsy if you're pleased with the HTLT. The only thing the Jeffsy has on the HTLT is the steeper STA.

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
The new jeffsy has a much longer reach and the steeper seat tube angle, and the improved anti squat suspension. I dunno man, I’m torn. I defintiely feel the lag on the climbs but I swear this eats the big gnarl better than my old jeffsy.

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 23:07 Quote
I rode the Hightower last year. Only borrowed. And so now i was in for a 29er. Looked also at the YT. Ended with a Radon Slide. Would say geometry wise somewhat in the middle of the two. What i can sy, you definitly will fell the "modern" geometry, especially on the the downhill.
It is a bigger bike than the LT, but doesnt feel like it. For me thats the trick of the "modern" bike geometry.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 0:09 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
The new jeffsy has a much longer reach and the steeper seat tube angle, and the improved anti squat suspension. I dunno man, I’m torn. I defintiely feel the lag on the climbs but I swear this eats the big gnarl better than my old jeffsy.

I'd just point this out, but the HTLT has more anti-squat than the gen. 2 Jeffsy. That's one of the strengths of VPP.
According to the Linkage Design blog, the HTLT hovers just above 100% anti-squat (103% in a 50T cog with a 32T chainring).

The old Gen. 1 Jeffsy has around 80% (81% in a 46T with a 32T chainring). And the new one, even though it has more anti-squat, it's not massively more.Maybe just a hair below 90% like the new Capra.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
The new jeffsy has a much longer reach and the steeper seat tube angle, and the improved anti squat suspension. I dunno man, I’m torn. I defintiely feel the lag on the climbs but I swear this eats the big gnarl better than my old jeffsy.

I'd just point this out, but the HTLT has more anti-squat than the gen. 2 Jeffsy. That's one of the strengths of VPP.
According to the Linkage Design blog, the HTLT hovers just above 100% anti-squat (103% in a 50T cog with a 32T chainring).

The old Gen. 1 Jeffsy has around 80% (81% in a 46T with a 32T chainring). And the new one, even though it has more anti-squat, it's not massively more.Maybe just a hair below 90% like the new Capra.


I thought the new Jeffsy has 30% increased anti-squat from the MK1, wouldn't that put it above the HTLT?

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 3:39 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
I thought the new Jeffsy has 30% increased anti-squat from the MK1, wouldn't that put it above the HTLT?

I've seen that number referenced multiple times, but no graph has been published (or even at what gear ratio they measured it), but it seems a bit excessive. 30% extra in a 46T, puts it within reach of DW-Link (which is considered among the best pedaling suspension systems), and around equal with most VPP implementations.

It's not impossible, not at all. But all being said. I doubt the difference in climbing will be significant.
The reason for choosing the Jeffsy should be the possibility of better fit due to the more "modern" geo.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 4:07 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
I thought the new Jeffsy has 30% increased anti-squat from the MK1, wouldn't that put it above the HTLT?

I've seen that number referenced multiple times, but no graph has been published (or even at what gear ratio they measured it), but it seems a bit excessive. 30% extra in a 46T, puts it within reach of DW-Link (which is considered among the best pedaling suspension systems), and around equal with most VPP implementations.

It's not impossible, not at all. But all being said. I doubt the difference in climbing will be significant.
The reason for choosing the Jeffsy should be the possibility of better fit due to the more "modern" geo.

Yeah, and that’s what has me considering keeping my jeffsy order, the steeper seat angle and longer reach. I think the seat angle will put me more forward above the cranks and hopefully gain some of that speed again on the steeper climbs.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
Slam the seat all the way forward for a climb and see how you like it.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Slam the seat all the way forward for a climb and see how you like it.

I kept the HTLT, and I LOVE it now. SOOO happy I made that decision. I changed the fork on it to a smaller 44mm offset which helped with the cornering on my tight trails, I slammed the seat forward which helped with the climbing, and changed out the brakes and some other stuff. Absolutely love this bike now, by far my favorite bike I've ever owned. Loving the way it rides, pedals, and descends.


Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
yzedf wrote:
Slam the seat all the way forward for a climb and see how you like it.

I kept the HTLT, and I LOVE it now. SOOO happy I made that decision. I changed the fork on it to a smaller 44mm offset which helped with the cornering on my tight trails, I slammed the seat forward which helped with the climbing, and changed out the brakes and some other stuff. Absolutely love this bike now, by far my favorite bike I've ever owned. Loving the way it rides, pedals, and descends.


That's awesome!

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 17:05 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Slam the seat all the way forward for a climb and see how you like it.
Steeper ST is certainly the fad, on my XXL I find the saddle is best right in the middle. Climbs as steep as my legs and gearing let's me and gives just a bit more room so on the downs the nose of my saddle is contacting my legs not the back of the saddle.

tkrumroy wrote:
I kept the HTLT, and I LOVE it now. SOOO happy I made that decision. I changed the fork on it to a smaller 44mm offset which helped with the cornering on my tight trails, I slammed the seat forward which helped with the climbing, and changed out the brakes and some other stuff. Absolutely love this bike now, by far my favorite bike I've ever owned. Loving the way it rides, pedals, and descends.

I'm thinking of going with the 44mm 36 (replacing 51mm pike). Do you notice any downside in the rough rowdy and steep stuff?

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
I kept the HTLT, and I LOVE it now. SOOO happy I made that decision. I changed the fork on it to a smaller 44mm offset which helped with the cornering on my tight trails, I slammed the seat forward which helped with the climbing, and changed out the brakes and some other stuff. Absolutely love this bike now, by far my favorite bike I've ever owned. Loving the way it rides, pedals, and descends.

I'm thinking of going with the 44mm 36 (replacing 51mm pike). Do you notice any downside in the rough rowdy and steep stuff?

I recently switched from DVO (160mm) 51mm offset to Fox 36 (160mm) 44mm offset and am very pleased with the result on my HTLT. Seems much more stable on steep loose stuff and ability to hold line in corners is much better. The bike handles the way it was meant to handle with the 44mm.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
wrote:
Ed284 wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
I kept the HTLT, and I LOVE it now. SOOO happy I made that decision. I changed the fork on it to a smaller 44mm offset which helped with the cornering on my tight trails, I slammed the seat forward which helped with the climbing, and changed out the brakes and some other stuff. Absolutely love this bike now, by far my favorite bike I've ever owned. Loving the way it rides, pedals, and descends.

I'm thinking of going with the 44mm 36 (replacing 51mm pike). Do you notice any downside in the rough rowdy and steep stuff?



I recently switched from DVO (160mm) 51mm offset to Fox 36 (160mm) 44mm offset and am very pleased with the result on my HTLT. Seems much more stable on steep loose stuff and ability to hold line in corners is much better. The bike handles the way it was meant to handle with the 44mm.




I also agree, and my apologies about not responding earlier. I totally thought I pressed send.

So no, I don’t think the bike handles any lesser on the steep dimes after moving to the 44mm offset. In fact, I have seen no draw backs or cons to the 44 and only benefits to changing from the 51mm.

The bike just handles so much better in my opinion.

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.025415
Mobile Version of Website