PB Forum :: 29ers
Hightower LT - should I buy YT Jeffsy?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 20:10 Quote
What is OEM offset?

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 2:18 Quote
gmoss wrote:
What is OEM offset?

Well, that's changing, so now it's dependend on the bike.
But it used to be 51mm for 29ers - 46 and 44 for 650B and lastly 37 for 26".

I think I've read somewhere, that the reason the industry settled on 51 for 29ers, was because 29" wheels were mainly used in XC, and needed a higher offset due to the steep headangles.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
Sorry, my question was specifically asked about the HTLT. I ask because mine stock rides and handles very well. Don't know that I would change it or could improve the way it handles.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 4:54 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Sorry, my question was specifically asked about the HTLT. I ask because mine stock rides and handles very well. Don't know that I would change it or could improve the way it handles.

It's 51.
And sorry, I though it was clear from the replies, that because they were changing down to 44mm, that they previously were on 51mm (the industry standard).
Anyway, I hope that clears it up Smile

Also, with yours being stock, it will definitely handle differently from bikes like tkrumroy and Ed284's, as they've both been over-forked (if I remember correctly). With the longer fork and subsequent decrease in HTA, the reduced offset will help with making the steering a bit quicker again.
So basically you're making the bike more slack, without the penalty of slower/sluggish steering.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 5:23 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
gmoss wrote:
What is OEM offset?

I think I've read somewhere, that the reason the industry settled on 51 for 29ers, was because 29" wheels were mainly used in XC, and needed a higher offset due to the steep headangles.

Actually, before moving back from 51mm, offsets were already 46 and 44 for 29ers. Then someone thought that 51mm would give more maneuverability to big bikes. I believe that now they're currently thinking that stability wasn't that bad in the end.

Funny thing, my 2014 Auron's offset is 47mm, which was considered as obsolete when they moved to 51mm and is now following the trend, more or less lol

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
gui21st wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
gmoss wrote:
What is OEM offset?

Actually, before moving back from 51mm, offsets were already 46 and 44 for 29ers. Then someone thought that 51mm would give more maneuverability to big bikes. I believe that now they're currently thinking that stability wasn't that bad in the end.

Funny thing, my 2014 Auron's offset is 47mm, which was considered as obsolete when they moved to 51mm and is now following the trend, more or less lol

Gary Fisher I think. My 2013 Trek Superfly 100 full squish XC bike had 51mm and it was called G2. After Trek bought him out but his name was still on the bikes.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
gmoss wrote:

It's 51.
And sorry, I though it was clear from the replies, that because they were changing down to 44mm, that they previously were on 51mm (the industry standard).

Also, with yours being stock, it will definitely handle differently from bikes like tkrumroy and Ed284's, as they've both been over-forked (if I remember correctly). With the longer fork and subsequent decrease in HTA, the reduced offset will help with making the steering a bit quicker again.
So basically you're making the bike more slack, without the penalty of slower/sluggish steering.

Ok, so for folks overforking the bike, changing has brought it back to where it needs to be handling wise, if I understand correctly. I won't be overforking mine, so sticking with stock seems like the logical thing to do.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
I started a new thread specific to this very important topic: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=214661

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
gmoss wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
gmoss wrote:

It's 51.

Ok, so for folks overforking the bike, changing has brought it back to where it needs to be handling wise, if I understand correctly. I won't be overforking mine, so sticking with stock seems like the logical thing to do.

So I think the other guy believed I was overforked which was incorrect. I bought my HTLT used with a fox 36 160mm 51mm offset fork on it. I felt like it was too hard to climb and the front wheel washed out quickly on our tight twisty single track NC trails so I sold it for a fox 36 150mm 44mm offset fork.

I instantly felt a massive change in the bike - instantly. It felt just as confident going down but gained 100% more composure on the climbs and flats (basically anytime you’re pedaling). I couldn’t believe how different it felt.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 20:22 Quote
We will have to swap and ride. So, if I understand, you have not ridden your bike with OEM specc'd fork length and offset. Be curious the difference in our bikes.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
gmoss wrote:
We will have to swap and ride. So, if I understand, you have not ridden your bike with OEM specc'd fork length and offset. Be curious the difference in our bikes.

Have you checked your fork? I read somewhere that SC was spec'ing 44mm offset on 2019 HTLT models.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
I will give a look.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013867
Mobile Version of Website