Best Bike For Street Riding That Is NOT A BMX

PB Forum :: Beginners
Best Bike For Street Riding That Is NOT A BMX
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 19:13 Quote
First of all, hopefully, I put this thread in the right place (didn't think it belonged in a discipline)

My question:
I am in high school and looking for a bike to ride to and from school during the summer. I want something that I can have fun with, like wheeling around and such but not like a BMX, as I still want it to be kinda practical to ride. I was thinking something maybe like a dirt jumper that has gears like the Specialized P2 as I could hike the seat up if I wanted to.

Any ideas on the kind of bike that would suit my needs? I already have an entry level XC/trailish bike - the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (only adding this because maybe it would be enough for my needs) (I have never really ridden on any other bikes)

Thanks,
Vozz

Posted: Mar 30, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
The Hardrock should work for school until you send one too many stair gaps. My old xc hardtail was fine until I started doing loading docks, stairs, then took it to the DH park. It just gave out, so I got a dj like the p2 which could take a bit more abuse. I like the look of the SC Jackal right now, but back in the day the street guys had everything from xc hardtails to fs freeride/dh rigs. It depends on what you want to do- the huge stair gaps are good with the fs big bikes, just messing around is good on a dj.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
I use my trail hardtail for commuting and pump tracks (and the odd bit of trail riding), I keep thinking about getting a dirt jump bike for pump tracks etc, but I keep coming back to the fact that a hardtail trail bike is so flexible.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 4:46 Quote
I was in a similar situation and ended up building up an NS bikes surge EVO frame. It has 411 mm chainstays. Not quite dirt jumper short but works fine on a pumptrack for me at least (I'm 6'1' with long legs), and crucially it has a 430 mm seat-tube that is straight all the way down, so I can have a 40 cm seat post and push it all the way in for the fun and still get it high enough for reasonable pedaling. Also it's steel and built like a tank.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008019
Mobile Version of Website