Kona Process 165 modifications

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 165 modifications
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
EliasFritzen wrote:

Or it would travel 5mm further at the end??

It would yes.
The 205mm is the total length, fully extended. As this is identical, the bike's static/unweighted position is the same as before.
But as the stroke is longer, it will go further into it's travel.

So if I put this 205x65 shock on my process 153 it would make it a process 165?? Are the frames the same? Anyone tried it for clearance?

Or it could make it into a Process 153 with a cracked seatstay bridge and/or divot worn into the seat tube. It might work, but probably not with proper clearances. If there was room to spare, the designer probably would've used the room for a larger bridge, less seat tube offset, etc.

They're not the same bike. One of the easiest ways to determine if two frames are the same is to check the difference between the head angle and the seat tube angle. If they're the same, it could be the same main triangle; in this case, they're not.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
EliasFritzen wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:

It would yes.
The 205mm is the total length, fully extended. As this is identical, the bike's static/unweighted position is the same as before.
But as the stroke is longer, it will go further into it's travel.

So if I put this 205x65 shock on my process 153 it would make it a process 165?? Are the frames the same? Anyone tried it for clearance?

Or it could make it into a Process 153 with a cracked seatstay bridge and/or divot worn into the seat tube. It might work, but probably not with proper clearances. If there was room to spare, the designer probably would've used the room for a larger bridge, less seat tube offset, etc.

They're not the same bike. One of the easiest ways to determine if two frames are the same is to check the difference between the head angle and the seat tube angle. If they're the same, it could be the same main triangle; in this case, they're not.

Yeah i'd rather that didn't happen, so probably best leave it, 153mm travel is all need really anyway don't need my bike to be any more sluggish on the flat!

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
Yeah i'd rather that didn't happen, so probably best leave it, 153mm travel is all need really anyway don't need my bike to be any more sluggish on the flat!

That's the sensible choice. If curiosity gets the better of you, you can test it a few ways:

1. Drop in the longer shock and deflate or remove the spring to test it at full compression.
2. Remove some mounting hardware that adds up to a reduction of 5 mm in length, then carefully compress the existing shock.

Ensure you have at least 5 mm of clearance between hard parts (ex. seatstay bridge to seat tube) to allow for flex.

If this works, then you might actually be able to use the longer stroke shock. As someone who's designed frames, though, I can tell you that weeks and thousands of dollars of R&D are often wasted over a millimeter or two of clearance, so it's unlikely you can just add 5 mm of stroke or 12 mm of wheel travel.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
EliasFritzen wrote:

That's the sensible choice. If curiosity gets the better of you, you can test it a few ways:

1. Drop in the longer shock and deflate or remove the spring to test it at full compression.
2. Remove some mounting hardware that adds up to a reduction of 5 mm in length, then carefully compress the existing shock.

Ensure you have at least 5 mm of clearance between hard parts (ex. seatstay bridge to seat tube) to allow for flex.

If this works, then you might actually be able to use the longer stroke shock. As someone who's designed frames, though, I can tell you that weeks and thousands of dollars of R&D are often wasted over a millimeter or two of clearance, so it's unlikely you can just add 5 mm of stroke or 12 mm of wheel travel.

On my 27.5 153 CR I could go to a 205 x 62.5 for ~160mm of travel but the ful 65mm shock caused the frame parts to contact.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
wrote:
On my 27.5 153 CR I could go to a 205 x 62.5 for ~160mm of travel but the ful 65mm shock caused the frame parts to contact.

Did you actually run the 153 with the 62.5 shock, or just fit it in to see if it worked?

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:

Yikes! Good thing you checked.

People rarely realize how much a frame can flex on a hard bottom-out. Even if things "clear" at full compression in the workshop, contact can still occur when riding.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
wrote:
harperrider wrote:

Did you actually run the 153 with the 62.5 shock, or just fit it in to see if it worked?

I've been running it with the 62.5 DPX2 since April 2018. Did the Trans BC, Whistler Enduro and Trans NZ enduro with it that way, although for BC I ran the fork with a 170mm Luftkappe'd air shaft as well.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
wrote:
mrtoodles wrote:
harperrider wrote:

I've been running it with the 62.5 DPX2 since April 2018. Did the Trans BC, Whistler Enduro and Trans NZ enduro with it that way, although for BC I ran the fork with a 170mm Luftkappe'd air shaft as well.

Did you notice much difference in travel or ride between the different shocks?

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
harperrider wrote:

Oh yeah totally. Mine bike wasn't the DL - it came with the Deluxe RT which was a pretty agricultural offering. I found the rebound adjuster affected the compression heaps and it didn't have the sweet spot I was looking for.

The DPX2 I bought had the LSC fine adjust as well as the 3-position option for the shock. I tend to run it Open mostly, but the trail setting is handy for long flatish sections of liasons and for flatter stages. Its quite a good shock I think. An X2 would have been nice as well but I don't think the frame is progressive enough for the X2 for the way I like to run it.

The extra travel is handy, and lets me run a bit more sag for traction.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
harperrider wrote:

Oh yeah totally. Mine bike wasn't the DL - it came with the Deluxe RT which was a pretty agricultural offering. I found the rebound adjuster affected the compression heaps and it didn't have the sweet spot I was looking for.

The DPX2 I bought had the LSC fine adjust as well as the 3-position option for the shock. I tend to run it Open mostly, but the trail setting is handy for long flatish sections of liasons and for flatter stages. Its quite a good shock I think. An X2 would have been nice as well but I don't think the frame is progressive enough for the X2 for the way I like to run it.

The extra travel is handy, and lets me run a bit more sag for traction.

I’ve been thinking of going with a 62.5 coil on mine. Either Fox or Dvo. Did you ever try a coil on your bike?

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
I didn't try a coil myself but I've heard good things from a couple others that did. Worth a try for sure.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 21:51 Quote
Three of us got 2019 165’s. The stock wheels didn’t last long! We’ve upgraded to a Chromag cockpit and BA30’s laced to Hope Pro 4 Evos. Next up will be fox transfer dropper posts, upgrading to gx and hopefully some hot rod stuff to make the forks perform!

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 22:33 Quote
theflannelcrew wrote:
Three of us got 2019 165’s. The stock wheels didn’t last long! We’ve upgraded to a Chromag cockpit and BA30’s laced to Hope Pro 4 Evos. Next up will be fox transfer dropper posts, upgrading to gx and hopefully some hot rod stuff to make the forks perform!

Any big change with 2019 compared to 2018?

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
Bjh1980 wrote:
Lower spec
laughably lower for the price point. Although I think the 2019's are on sale now

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021136
Mobile Version of Website