Chain Noise?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Chain Noise?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
I’m relatively new to mountain biking. I recently upgraded bikes and bought a new Salsa Timberjack. And I’ve noticed that from a stop/slow roll if do a hard pedal with some torque to it I hear/notice a quick grinding noise around the chainring/chain. Is something not dialed in properly? Just needs to be broke in? Thanks in advance.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 18:55 Quote
I am not familiar with the Timberjack, but it sounds like something isn’t dialed in. I assume it is 1x11 or 12 and would think the chainring is lined up with the middle of the rear cassette. Does it grind in all gears or just the biggest rear cog? It chould be too much chain angle, but that shouldn’t be a problem with new 1X drivetrains.

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I am not familiar with the Timberjack, but it sounds like something isn’t dialed in. I assume it is 1x11 or 12 and would think the chainring is lined up with the middle of the rear cassette. Does it grind in all gears or just the biggest rear cog? It chould be too much chain angle, but that shouldn’t be a problem with new 1X drivetrains.

Thanks for the reply. I only really notice it in the first few gears. Like 1-3, mainly because it’s slower/quieter and it’s eaier to notice the. And yeah it’s 1x11. What should I try adjusting? The rest derailleur ?

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
Is everything clean and lubed? Make sure no dirt or debris. Maybe something hit your derailleur and it is slightly off, or maybe your shifter cable stretched some. You could adjust your shifter cable tension slightly and see if that helps.

Posted: Mar 30, 2019 at 4:34 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
Is everything clean and lubed? Make sure no dirt or debris. Maybe something hit your derailleur and it is slightly off, or maybe your shifter cable stretched some. You could adjust your shifter cable tension slightly and see if that helps.

Alright cool. I’ll clean it and lube it up. And tinker with the shifting cable. Thanks.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
The clutch on derailleurs can be loud if it is set tight. Shimano can be adjusted with a little Allen key. If you have a shimano, try loosening the clutch.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010425
Mobile Version of Website