Novatec hubs on NX builds.

PB Forum :: Transition
Novatec hubs on NX builds.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
I've noticed that Transition specs Novatec hubs on their NX builds of their bikes. And from my reading I understand that Novatec has a terrible reputation for poor quality hubs that break, and rotten customer service when it comes to warranty replacement.

What has been the experience of the reliability of the Novatec hubs in the Transition NX builds that people own here? Have they lasted? Did they fail pre-maturely? How has the warranty process been if they have failed?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
I've not had any problems with mine as of yet, purchased January 2018 and still going strong. Scottish weather can be wet and muddy at times. I have opened the rear up a few times and cleaned and re-greased though.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
Had my 2018 Transition NX Sentinal for 1 wk, before the rear hub paws got notchy an then disintegrated. 1 year later, the whole WTB wheel set still sits in the garage broken waiting for spares. No parts available anywhere, broken ring gear is unobtainable in Oz . I dont ride in the rain, so ive never washed the hubs.

Transition Australia said that Novatech Australia must fix parts under warranty, but Novatech advised that they dont do warranties!

My advise regarding Transition bikes, buy a frame ONLY. As they are bomb proof, and u wont be disappointed.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
Mine have been fine since August 2018. I haven't done anything to them cleaning wise

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 2:17 Quote
NX build smuggler bought in March this year. From day one I have had an intermittent tick/short creak (sometimes quiet, sometimes loud)

Initially I though BB. Have checked that and torqued up properly (twice). I have since checked the novatec hub (twice) cannot see any issues. So I guess I can say that the hub has been trouble free...

Spoke tension checked also.

The only conclusion I have at the moment is that it is actually the NX cassette and the way it meshes on the free hub. But I'm not sold on that conclusion either ????

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
I only have experience with their road hubs. I've been commuting with them for years without any trouble. In case you are in europe you can get spare parts are from www.eshop.novatecwheels.eu.

I'd say keep the wheels as spares or sell them. It is usually cheaper to buy a complete bike rather than build it up from parts, unless you plan to replace most of the parts right away.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
I have been riding my 2018 Transition Patrol NX for a little bit over a year now and havent had any issues. I have completely abused the back wheel and the Novatec hub is still going strong. I'm guess its a hit or miss with the Novatec hubs.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
JBW450 wrote:
NX build smuggler bought in March this year. From day one I have had an intermittent tick/short creak (sometimes quiet, sometimes loud)

Initially I though BB. Have checked that and torqued up properly (twice). I have since checked the novatec hub (twice) cannot see any issues. So I guess I can say that the hub has been trouble free...

Spoke tension checked also.

The only conclusion I have at the moment is that it is actually the NX cassette and the way it meshes on the free hub. But I'm not sold on that conclusion either ????

An update on the noises I experienced. It is the novatec rear hub, and specifically the ratchet ring which has some rounded off teeth in various places.

This clicking/creak has progressed to the point that occasionally the pawls skip a tooth or two.

I emailed Novatec and they have sent out warranty replacement parts. Should be here in a couple of days.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 0:54 Quote
obiwankenobi wrote:
I've not had any problems with mine as of yet, purchased January 2018 and still going strong. Scottish weather can be wet and muddy at times. I have opened the rear up a few times and cleaned and re-greased though.

Update- mine is goosed. Noticed a lot of play in rear wheel expected that a full change of hub and wheel bearings would fix it but no luck. Replaced with hope fortus 30, nice to have a noisy hope hub again.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Well, I have a little update for you all.

A couple weeks ago my Novatec hub was working fine. Now it is making an awful clicking noise and produces a lot of drag.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
I purchased a 2019 sentinel alloy nx and within a week the cassette was coming loose and I had issues with the hub. Local bike shop was great about warranty, but unfortunately novatec has not be pleasant to work with. After months of radio silence they sent a new spacer set. Within 30 minutes of my next ride it was coming apart. Company has not responded and I have about given up. Will be purchasing a new wheel set thats not novatec for sure.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
Had novatecs on my devinci troy, they broke and my lbs said they would fix them for cheap, $30. They also said that that I should look at budgeting money for new hubs because it's only a matter of time before they faulted again. They were right, upgraded to some I9 torches and wow, the difference. Never realized how much a good rear hub can make every ride better.

Posted: Mar 19, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
I had a novatec hub on a Norco section that had play/slop on my Section (all road) right out of the box and couldn't be fixed. Replaced with a Shimano wheel set- much better. Can not recommend novatec hubs

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006007
Mobile Version of Website