27.5" All day!

Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
Just bought a new bike last week (which one doesn't matter as this is not a brag post!), they offered it in 29" or 27.5" so I opted for the latter, I much prefer 27.5" (my last ride was 29" and I didn't dig the feel at all). Is this because I come from a 26" free ride background? I really think that where you came from to your latest ride has a lot to do with what wheel you go for now. Thoughts?

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
Radley-Shreddington wrote:
Just bought a new bike last week (which one doesn't matter as this is not a brag post!), they offered it in 29" or 27.5" so I opted for the latter, I much prefer 27.5" (my last ride was 29" and I didn't dig the feel at all). Is this because I come from a 26" free ride background? I really think that where you came from to your latest ride has a lot to do with what wheel you go for now. Thoughts?

27.5 for life for me, although i might try mixing wheelsizes when i can afford a 29er wheel and fork, or just use a 27 5 fork with a lot of clearance. But yeah for what i ride i decided not to go the 29er route.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
I am a big fan of the 27.5. I picked up a new bike about a month ago and stuck with the 27.5 life.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 18:51 Quote
The one I haven’t tried is 27.5”

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 1:42 Quote
I havent tried the mix of both yet but I have ridden a ton of 26" (when there was no other choice!) and my last bike was a 29", I didnt like tight berms or switch backs as much at all on 29", in fact sometimes I even felt like I was overly cautious into them on account of the way they handled, I am definitely staying with 27.5" from now, real Cinderella moment Beer

Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Radley-Shreddington wrote:

27.5 for life for me, although i might try mixing wheelsizes when i can afford a 29er wheel and fork, or just use a 27 5 fork with a lot of clearance. But yeah for what i ride i decided not to go the 29er route.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 1:42 Quote
Are you on 29's dude?

SS-Minox wrote:
The one I haven’t tried is 27.5”

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 1:46 Quote
It feels like everyone around me is getting a 29er (although its only a few mates in reality), plus every new bike that comes out seems to be a 29er, added to the fact all our top racing idols are riding 29ers..... it sometimes seems like everyone forgets about the little wheels (not all that little I know)…. having said that, I love my 27.5 rocky mountain and many brands are still bringing out awesome 27.5 bikes...……. so all is not lost!

I think there is a place for all wheel sizes, you just need to know what discipline and what you want to get out of a bike.
Thankfully I have realised I ride my bike solely for the purposes of fun and enjoyment, hence why 27.5 is for me!

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 2:37 Quote
Works for me mate!

v7fmp wrote:
It feels like everyone around me is getting a 29er (although its only a few mates in reality), plus every new bike that comes out seems to be a 29er, added to the fact all our top racing idols are riding 29ers..... it sometimes seems like everyone forgets about the little wheels (not all that little I know)…. having said that, I love my 27.5 rocky mountain and many brands are still bringing out awesome 27.5 bikes...……. so all is not lost!

I think there is a place for all wheel sizes, you just need to know what discipline and what you want to get out of a bike.
Thankfully I have realised I ride my bike solely for the purposes of fun and enjoyment, hence why 27.5 is for me!

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 3:16 Quote
I like both. 27.5 feels more responsive and “zingy”, 29 feels generally faster and more controlled. Horses for courses.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 3:25 Quote
I think its definitely down to what style you 'first' did mate, as I came from Freeride/Slopestyle I like to throw it about a bit and jib about a bit, so 27.5" suits me just right.

BarneyStinson wrote:
I like both. 27.5 feels more responsive and “zingy”, 29 feels generally faster and more controlled. Horses for courses.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
I am another 27.5" fan, who gets disheartened every time I see an article about a new bike on PB and it is another 29er.

I have got short legs and I ride a medium frame bike, 29ers are just too big for me. Maybe if I was 6" taller it would be different?

Lets not forget that Sam Hill won the EWS last year on a 27.5" wheeled bike though...

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 5:21 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
I am another 27.5" fan, who gets disheartened every time I see an article about a new bike on PB and it is another 29er.

I have got short legs and I ride a medium frame bike, 29ers are just too big for me. Maybe if I was 6" taller it would be different?

Lets not forget that Sam Hill won the EWS last year on a 27.5" wheeled bike though...

exactly, I get it if you are really tall or you are an EWS hard charger (apart from the mentioned Mr. Hill)

I think the media definitely plays a part. in MBR magazine this month they had their trail bike of the year, and they thankfully split it into 27.5 & 29ers. So you got a fairly decent spread and a winner in both wheel sizes.

I'm not sure if MBUK did the same with their recent test?

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
I like both... I think it all comes down to preferred style of riding. I also thought the UCI 27.5 vs 29 was interesting

https://www.uci.org/news/2018/27-5-vs-29-the-debate-continues

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
TBH mate I am 6.2" and still prefer 27.5"

v7fmp wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:

exactly, I get it if you are really tall or you are an EWS hard charger (apart from the mentioned Mr. Hill)

I think the media definitely plays a part. in MBR magazine this month they had their trail bike of the year, and they thankfully split it into 27.5 & 29ers. So you got a fairly decent spread and a winner in both wheel sizes.

I'm not sure if MBUK did the same with their recent test?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010145
Mobile Version of Website