Wheelset upgrade

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Wheelset upgrade
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 4:35 Quote
Upgrading the OE wheelset on my 2018 SC 5010 S build. I'm staying with aluminum. Raceface AR 27 rims and DT Swiss 370's are on it.

I've got the hub choices down to 3 and want to make sure I'm actually upgrading:
Hope Pro 4
DT Swiss 350
i9 product...Hydra's are really sweet and I know they're a huge upgrade, but the wallet dent is significant. So considering something a little cheaper from them.

For rims:

DT Swiss EX 511

or an i9 equivalent

Lay some knowledge and opinions on me please...

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
I mean, they're all good. IMO a 36t DT350 is one of the best hubs you can get, totally bulletproof, so easy to maintain, not too much noise, just an all around performer.

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
I mean, they're all good. IMO a 36t DT350 is one of the best hubs you can get, totally bulletproof, so easy to maintain, not too much noise, just an all around performer.

Would you consider them all to be an upgrade from the OE?

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
The DT370 is a competent OE choice, but isn't a star ratchet hub like a DT350/240, and so has a lot less engagement, and isn't as solid or serviceable. All are definitely a step up.

SC mostly moved to them because the Novatec hubs they were using before had a habit of eating themselves.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
I have mainly hope and Chris King hubs. Durability is good across both but I suspect king will be better (only had the hopes a few years). I have had a king rear hub that has transferred between bikes for almost a decade. Original bearings are still smooth. Regular maintenance and that's it. The CK have better engagement but the hope is good enough. I have had other brands and the hope engagement is the least I would recommend.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 4:42 Quote
I have been looking to get some new wheels built up for my Orange Four.

I'm in the UK, so Hope is the default choice for hubs, but have been looking at EX511 rims, or Stans Arch. Hope announced new rims earlier in the year, so they are on the list too, if they are better than the current Hope offerings. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/hope-redesigns-rim-range-core-bike-2019.html

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 6:28 Quote
I'm going with DT EX511 hoops and I9 Hydra hubs...can't wait to see what differences the upgrade will make.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:32 Quote
I've just ordered some new Stans EX3 rims on Chris King hubs. Only had Hope hubs previously, looking forward to the comparison. 10-14 days to wait!

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
I just upgraded my oem SC 5010 C S (2015) wheelset this spring and the biggest decision I had was the internal width I wanted for my rims (which was in turn based on the width of the tires I was planning on running with). I also wanted to upgrade from the SRAM hubs (especially the rear as it had a nasty tendency to loosen after every ride). I would have loved to upgrade to carbon hoops but that just wasn't in the budget (this year). I wound up with a good used wheelset of Stans Flow EX/DT Swiss 350 as my max tire width was in the 2.4ish area. Good luck Smile

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
I have dt240s on nearly all my wheelsets and love them. The 350s are great as well, just a bit heavier.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
pedalsmasher wrote:
I'm going with DT EX511 hoops and I9 Hydra hubs...can't wait to see what differences the upgrade will make.

Solid choice, you will not be disappointed. To me, a good quick engagement hub is a must. It transforms the ride.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 17:05 Quote
gmoss wrote:
pedalsmasher wrote:
I'm going with DT EX511 hoops and I9 Hydra hubs...can't wait to see what differences the upgrade will make.

Solid choice, you will not be disappointed. To me, a good quick engagement hub is a must. It transforms the ride.

That's what I'm hoping for...they should arrive sometime next week.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
Where did you order from? I got both sets I have ran from Colorado Cyclist. I9/Stans Flow combo. Coming from Chris King back in the day, early 2000's, I have really liked the I9's. Plus they are just up the road from me. : )

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Where did you order from? I got both sets I have ran from Colorado Cyclist. I9/Stans Flow combo. Coming from Chris King back in the day, early 2000's, I have really liked the I9's. Plus they are just up the road from me. : )

Red Barn in Hamilton, MT. I wish I had gone with CO Cyclist. I'd probably be riding them by now.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024480
Mobile Version of Website